The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7R AF Trick?

adakshi

I bought A7R recently, moving from A900.

I was little complaining about the AF speed and the hunting. I was so frustrated I thought my camera was defective and was about to return for an exchange.
It failed to lock in low light (with or w/o AF light), it hunted in indoor with lots of window light, it even missed focus outdoor in broad daylight.
I googled and found that many people complained of the same while some said AF is quite ok, I found someone said it is better than D800. With these in mind I was almost sure that my unit was defective. So, I initialized my camera, packed and got an RMA from B&H.

Suddenly I thought why not test the camera with the 50 1.8 E mount lens and see if my lens is defective and also test the FE 55 with Nex6 to see if my camera is defective.

I again unpacked it, mounted the lens and to my disbelief, the A7R-FE55 started working just fine, it locked 100% time, AF was spot on to the extent that I cannot do better AF with MF and magnified view.

Finally I got it, it was the Face detection that was causing all these issues. Turn the FD off, AF locks with little hunting in low light(It is so low that I cannot frame the object through my A900 OVF), AF locks in backlit faces, I tried to turn the AF light off, no effect, it locks just fine. I turned the FD on, it started hunting again. Hunting means it racks the lens full length 2-3 times before it locks or just give up w/o locking.

I am not sure if this is normal in other A7R or if my unit is faulty. Forum members can confirm.

I posted this same article in DPR and Dyxum and some forum members observed the same as me.

I am with v 1.02 and FE 55 lens.

Ayan

Professional

Do you want me to post your question or this topic on another forum i know where members have A7R too and they are sharing and discussing about this camera? Sure you will get answers here, but the more forums you posted in, the more answers you will get.

adakshi

Do you want me to post your question or this topic on another forum i know where members have A7R too and they are sharing and discussing about this camera? Sure you will get answers here, but the more forums you posted in, the more answers you will get.
Sure. More is better.