The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

My Sony Lens kit after 5 months

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Well its been a bit of time since I first got the A7r from switching out my Nikon kit and been kind of limping along as I thinned out the Nikon mount lenses to the new A7rand A7. Right now keeping the A mount in tact as i just don't know what is next coming out of the Sony camp but I am ready for anything even a new Sony A mount cam which in my mind i will always keep the A7r as my 36mpx workhorse but the A7 is my AF kit and in limbo right now . If a new A99 comes out with focus points to the edges with the existing ZA lenses than I will most certainly switch out the A7 for it or I would even consider a APC body as well like a revised A77 with the same sensor. But i finally am starting to feel comfortable. Now I will say from as working Pro seat I hand picked these to support my business and if I was not a Pro and had certain speed and AF needs than the lens kit would most likely be slightly different. I would most likely have a few M and or R lenses. One would be the maybe the 90 cron or similar to reduce sizing in the kit but right now having just the smaller body makes me happy. Lenses will have to be what they are until new FE glass comes along but I basically rebuilt my Nikon kit in Sony mounts and Im not lacking anything.

I bought this for fun but it is useful in some scenarios as i can fix any distortion with it and still get great images . I like this lens even though its cheap won't last forever and may just fall apart but for 325 dollars who cares. The Rokinion 14mm in a A mount bolted to a Sony 3 adapter. Next my oddball since it is in a Canon mount which was intentional is the Zeiss 25mm F2 one of my all time favorites but with the Metabones III adapter I get full Exif and aperture control in camera like all my other lenses just have to manually focus which i love to do anyway. Next the Sigma 35mm 1.4 in Sony A mount again not much can touch the image quality of this lens at 1.4 and sharp as nails stopped down. For 900 dollars its a easy choice and I have it back from my Nikon kit. Next the 55mm FE and you saw my tests on it and its brilliant, than in the ZA mounts as well the ZA 85 1.4 my look lens and the 135mm 1.8 Sony . These both are best in class and until a FE version comes out and I finally settle on the FE cams than these are going nowhere.

So the question is where are you all at now. I have very specific needs and more so than a non working Pro but I love to hear what folks have snuggled up too in there glass as i am a classic lens whore myself and its fun to see what people decide on. I am not done though as i want to build a smaller lens kit for the Guy personal collection but I had to get this working kit in order first.

iiiNelson

So far I'm sitting on the 14/2.8, 24-70/4, and 55/1.8 in FE mount. I have a 85/1.4, 100/2, 135/2.8, and 180/2.8 in Contax Yashica mount. Then I have all the M mount stuff in my signature still.

gurtch

I still have my Somy A900 system, so My A7R carry around kit is Minolta 20 mm f2.8 A mount, 28 mm f2.8 A mount, 35mm FE, 55 mm FE, and Tamron 90mm f2.8 macro A mount. All A mount lenses with the 4 adapter, which allows AF, EXIF DATA, etc. Small , light kit which covers ultra wide to moderate telephoto, macro, high enough quality for 20"x30" prints, and auto focus.
Enjoy this forum....thanks from a senior citizen amateur.
Dave in NJ

Guy Mancuso

I still have my Somy A900 system, so My A7R carry around kit is Minolta 20 mm f2.8 A mount, 28 mm f2.8 A mount, 35mm FE, 55 mm FE, and Tamron 90mm f2.8 macro A mount. All A mount lenses with the 4 adapter, which allows AF, EXIF DATA, etc. Small , light kit which covers ultra wide to moderate telephoto, macro, high enough quality for 20"x30" prints, and auto focus.
Enjoy this forum....thanks from a senior citizen amateur.
Dave in NJ
Your images my friend are far from being amateur. :)

BTW I hate and i mean hate the word amateur , its degrading and I never ever use it especially on this forum. Hobbyist yes as it is a financial description not a talent one. You got talent

jlm

Workshop Member
i'm after what the M body is not so good at:

canon 24mm TS-E
Sony/Zeiss 135/f1.8

and then the Sony FE's: 55 and 35

psy501

..olympus om 21/2,24/2,28/2,35/2,50/1.8,50/2 macro,90/2 macro, 135/2.8,sony zeiss fe 24-70, canon ltm sonnar 50/1.5, canon ltm 50/0.95, helios 50/2, mir 35/2, minolta 58/1.2, minolta 35-70/3.5, canon 35-105/3.5, canon 85/1.2, canon ts 35/2.8 and the fe 55 is on its way..i have waited for a long time for something like the a7/a7r and i really love em..:)..

f/otographer

These are the lenses that now reside in my bag along with the A7 and NEX 7 with speedbooster. I see very few changes in this kit for the foreseeable future. And, since a picture is worth a thousand words...

RMC Tokina 17/3.5 (CY mount)

Yashica ML 28/2.8 (series 2)

Yashica ML 35/2.8 (series 1)

Yashica ML 50/1.7 (series 2)

Yashica ML Macro 55/4

Zeiss Jena Biotar 58/2 (M42 to CY adapter)

And btw thats not a typo. Yes I was shooting macro on the normal 50/1.7 and portraits on the Macro 55/4. Dont ask me to explain. :)

Last edited:

GDI

Great topic, here is what I have for the A7 and A7r. I am open to some advice in certain areas:

18mm - OM18/3.5, I have been thinking of switching to the 19 Elmarit V2 or maybe the 21 Zeiss (are the Canon or Nikon versions better than the Contax versions?)
28mm - Elmarit-R V2
35mm - Elmarit-R E55, Contax f2.8 Distagon
50mm - Noctilux-M F1, and 55FE
90mm - Summicron-M pre-Asph

Zoom -28-79 Kit FE, came with my A7

I also have some Canon EF lenses but haven't gotten an adapter yet, but when I do, I will have the 100mm USM macro, and the 200L for longer needs. But still, I am thinking about getting a couple more R lenses - maybe the 60 Macro, 135 (Elmarit?), and maybe a 180mm (again, which one?)

Again, I welcome any advice on filling out the kit...

Guy Mancuso

I would first get the Metabones III adapter for your Canon 100 macro and 200 and see what you need but you have a nice set now. The only thing I see is a fast 55 and nothing else that fast. Depending on need here

GDI

I would first get the Metabones III adapter for your Canon 100 macro and 200 and see what you need but you have a nice set now. The only thing I see is a fast 55 and nothing else that fast. Depending on need here
I need to break down and get the smart adapter, and see what the old Canon can do...

For faster lenses, I have considered the Summilux 80, but I think it is too close to the 90 Cron and 2.0 is pretty close. I also have a CV 35 M-mount that is 1.2, but I haven't tested after seeing how bad most of my other Ms are, maybe I'll try it out, it would big a good match for the Noctilux - fast, big and heavy!

gurtch

Your images my friend are far from being amateur. :)

BTW I hate and i mean hate the word amateur , its degrading and I never ever use it especially on this forum. Hobbyist yes as it is a financial description not a talent one. You got talent
Thanks Guy for the kind words; coming from you it is indeed a compliment. I know that in your youth you spent some time on LBI (Long beach Island, NJ), and know the landscape. If in the area, I would be delighted to show you some of my favorite pictorial spots.
Dave

mdg137

I'm still trying to sort out my exodus from Canon-- I think I've settled into having a two-pronged approach-- one set for travel, one set for low light/ maximum IQ or two prongs one character lenses, one straight up sharpness...with some degree of overlap

A. Travel: VC 12mm, WATE, 35mm v3 Summicron, 50mm Summilux ASPH, 90mm Elmarit M

B. IQ/ character: WATE, VC 21mm f1.8, VC 35mm f1.2 vII, Noctilux f1.0 v4, 75mm Summilux, Canon 100mm f2.0 FDn, Canon 17mm TS-E

A few stragglers, VC 40mm f1.4, Olympus OM 24mm f2.8, 100mm f2.8, 200mm f5, Canon 135mm f3.5 LTM

Headed for sale: Canon 55mm f1.2 ASPH, Canon 50mm f0.95, VC 50mm f1.5 asph vII

As a side note, still experimenting with newly acquired mint 35mm Summicron v3, but it seems to be performing far better than reports I've read--

mdg137

Great topic, here is what I have for the A7 and A7r. I am open to some advice in certain areas:

18mm - OM18/3.5, I have been thinking of switching to the 19 Elmarit V2 or maybe the 21 Zeiss (are the Canon or Nikon versions better than the Contax versions?)
28mm - Elmarit-R V2
35mm - Elmarit-R E55, Contax f2.8 Distagon
50mm - Noctilux-M F1, and 55FE
90mm - Summicron-M pre-Asph

Zoom -28-79 Kit FE, came with my A7

I also have some Canon EF lenses but haven't gotten an adapter yet, but when I do, I will have the 100mm USM macro, and the 200L for longer needs. But still, I am thinking about getting a couple more R lenses - maybe the 60 Macro, 135 (Elmarit?), and maybe a 180mm (again, which one?)

Again, I welcome any advice on filling out the kit...
I did have a chance to compare my Noctilux f1.0 with Marc Williams' (fotografz) f0.95 the other day. In our woefully imprecise testing on our A7rs, results were exactly as one would expect--the f0.95 was clearly sharper in the center, and more contrasty.

I was able, with some selective sharpening, to get them close, but not equal.

However, I was surprised at the difference in size/weight, with the 0.95 significantly (to me) heavier and bulkier.

In the end, I'm sticking with the f1.0, but if I didn't have the 50 lux asph, the choice between 0.95 and f1 might be more difficult.

GDI

I did have a chance to compare my Noctilux f1.0 with Marc Williams' (fotografz) f0.95 the other day. In our woefully imprecise testing on our A7rs, results were exactly as one would expect--the f0.95 was clearly sharper in the center, and more contrasty.

I was able, with some selective sharpening, to get them close, but not equal.

However, I was surprised at the difference in size/weight, with the 0.95 significantly (to me) heavier and bulkier.

In the end, I'm sticking with the f1.0, but if I didn't have the 50 lux asph, the choice between 0.95 and f1 might be more difficult.
I like the look of the F1 with the Sonys - you're right that it is not as sharp ad contrasty as the 0.95. But I still like the old look (and the couple thousand dollars saved!), and I still have the sharp 55...

tashley

Subscriber Member
14mm Samyang in Nikon mount with Novoflex adapter
17mm Can TSE with Metabones III
21mm Zeiss f2.8 Nikon/Metabones
27-70mm FE F4
35mm FE F2.8
50mm F1 Noctilux M with Novoflex
50mm Leica R with mount changed to Nikon then Novoflexed
55mm FE F1.8
70-200mm FE F4 arriving imminently
Leica M Macro Elmar 90mm F4 with Novoflex
Kenko extension tubes

Oh cr*p. When I started typing this I was smug about having sold vast amounts of stuff and gotten down to a capsule lens cupboard. Reading the list makes me realise a) that I haven't and b) that I must have had over thirty lenses until recently.

I also have a funky old box of weird stuff that I mean to get to adapting, including a strange old catadioptric Canon lens. The shop window of my local dealer is full of stuff that costs almost nothing and might be fun just to buy'n'try.

Thomas Fallon

I have all Zeiss leftover from my Canon kit. 15, 28, 50 macro, 85, 100 macro. The only Canon I kept was the 135 Soft focus. Metabones adapter.

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

I'm down to the following, for use with a7r and a99.:

Voigtlander Heliar 12 mm
FE 55 mm f1.8 (Almost MF quality)
FE 24-70 mm ZA OSS (Great general purpose lens between 28 and 65mm)
A mount 24-70 mm f2.8 ZA (Sharper at wide angle than the FE version)
A mount 70 mm Sigma Macro (Sharpest lens after the FE 55)
A mount 70-400 mm G (Best long zoom ever!)

FE 70-200 mm on order.

LE4A adapter

I've sold all my Leica M lenses.The wides weren't good enough on the a7r and the longer lenses are covered by the FE 55 and the 70-200 FE on order. I will buy a decent wide angle in the 20 mm range but haven't decided what, yet. (Suggestions welcome!)

This brings me down to two systems from three - I'm still an MFDB guy at heart but the M system has gone. Loved it but didn't use it enough to justify keeping it in the closet.

As Thoreau said, simplify, simplify!

Bill

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Anybody have experience with the Voigtlander 21 mm f4 Color Skopar lens on the a7r?

I already have their M to E mount adapter so it might be a natural choice - or does it give colour shifts at the edges?