The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

My Sony Lens kit after 5 months

philip_pj

'are the Canon or Nikon versions better than the Contax versions?'

They are more modern, have better coatings and an extra element to make up for the loss of the special glass in the Contax, are better wide open, less good from f4 down. Don't quite have the amazing low light shadow detail and impact of the CY. They are however very close, and 20 years newer. the ZE/ZFs are a better buy IMO, for resale and condition. Vet any CY 21mm carefully, it is a lens that is hard to not use a lot.

Anyone interested in why the Leica M wide angles don't work on our cameras, see p12-13 of the Zeiss white paper on the Distagons - linked below. There is also a very informative MTF chart of the Contax 21mm and text on p6:

'Its performance, particularly the perfect correction of lateral chromatic aberration, was achieved solely by the combination of very special (and expensive) high index glass types with glass types displaying extremely high anomalous partial dispersion.'

The old-fashioned way, and they are rightly proud! It was likely a similar effort as that they put in for the Otus.

There is a good discussion on the (then new) 25mm f2 Distagon on page p6-p8.

http://blogs.zeiss.com/photo/en/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/en_CLB41_Nasse_LensNames_Distagon.pdf

biglouis

Guy, thought provoking post.

Where am I now. For the first time thinking of adding a body rather than a lens which is not the best way to use my money. The reason, the draw of the A7r over the A7. Mind you, as I don't exactly have the funds to do this right now I am also hoping that by the time I do make a buying decision that a A7x with the same sensor as the RX1R might be available.

Working with the Ricoh GR has convinced me that sensors without AA filters are the way to go.

As far as lenses go all I really lack at present is a mid-range primes, say in the 90-135 range. I have the CV21/1.8 for wide, FE 35 for everyday, FE 55 for detail, landscape or portrait work. I have a C-90/4 for a medium telephoto but I have to say it is a poor performer. I might do better to swap it for a 90/2.8 but I'm loathe to try and would rather wait until FE or other third party AF lenses catch up.

LouisB

psy501

These are the lenses that now reside in my bag along with the A7 and NEX 7 with speedbooster. I see very few changes in this kit for the foreseeable future. And, since a picture is worth a thousand words...

RMC Tokina 17/3.5 (CY mount)

Yashica ML 28/2.8 (series 2)

Yashica ML 35/2.8 (series 1)

Yashica ML 50/1.7 (series 2)

Yashica ML Macro 55/4

Zeiss Jena Biotar 58/2 (M42 to CY adapter)

And btw thats not a typo. Yes I was shooting macro on the normal 50/1.7 and portraits on the Macro 55/4. Dont ask me to explain. :)
..something that has to be said: following your posts in the diverse threads over time imho you are posting really great artwork..what i do like especially is the fine sense of humour that comes with the titles of your photos (titles lacking in this post but present in most of the others) and makes every one of them even stronger..please keep up the really fine work..;)

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Wait for announcements today as rumor has it a 85 FE maybe announced. Outside of that almost any modern 85,90 is going to be good if not great. Big reason this focal length is a very easy lens design to make so almost all brands have a good one. Leica M there are several, cron, elmarit and in the R mount a awesome cron. I use the ZA 85 1.4 with Sony adapter which is a great lens but a little CA wide open but a easy fix too. The Zeiss 85 1.4 in canon/Nikon mount is also very good and used not a bad price. Voightlander 90 apo is said to be good. Might even want to look at Oly 90 another good one. There are a bunch out there even in the Minolta brand. I want to get a more travel worthy one myself. Maybe a 90 elmarit or pre asph cron. But I got this feeling the FE just might service today. Let's see what happens as I would jump on a 85 1.4 FE in a NY minute myself. As I said in my initial post I'm playing it safe with the ZA mount so depending on the cams that are rumored I can go either direction. I would not mind replacing the A7 with a new SLT body for speed reasons the A7r is my main workhorse though but I look to the A7 or replacement as my AF speed cam.

rayyen

I'm a Leica fan and I love use my M lens on my 7R
Wide: WATE
Standard: 50luxA, old Elmar, APO
Tele: 75luxV1, 135hektor

Stefan Steib

Right now the lenses are as following:
14-24mm Nikon AF-S G-ED
(stay tuned soon more about that - heavy TS mod coming ! )
Canon FD SSC 2.0/28mm
Samyang 1.4/35mm VDSLR
Revuenon(=Vivitar VMC) 1,2/55mm
Nikon AF-D 2,8/60mm Micro
Canon new FD-L 1,2/85mm
Nikon AF-D 2,8/105mm Micro
Canon new FD 2.0/135mm
Canon new FD 2,8/200mm
Canon new FD 4.0/200 Makro
Canon new FD 4.0/300

plus a ton of other ones like e.g. the Mamiya 645/80mm Makro and the Mamiya 645 1,9/80mm, the Mamiya645 4/120mm.
and of course the 3 Zeiss Hartblei´s 40,80 120mm

But really my favourites are now 1,2/55mm, 1,2/85mm and 1,4/35mm
I get addicted to the wide open stuff....... tilted.

Greetings from Germany
Stefan

thomas

here's my small A7R Kit...:

Zeiss FE Sonnar 2.8/35
Contax PC-Distagon 2.8/35
Zeiss ZM Planar 2.0/50
Zeiss ZM Tele-Tessar 4/85
(... returned 2 FE Sonnar 1.8/55's (decentered)).

Surprisingly... the longer I use the A7R Kit the more I love my MFD systems (though sensor-wise from 2005...).

jonoslack

Hmmm
Well
24-70 F4 FE
55 f1.8 FE
WATE
35 'lux FLE
50 'lux FLE
50 0.95 Nocti
75 'cron Asph
90 M elmarit
35-70 f4 Leica R
60 f2.8 Leica R macro
80-200 F4 Leica R
180 F2.8 Leica R APO

These lenses all worked well on the A7 (I have others which don't)

BUT BUT BUT BUT BUT

I'm bailing out - I understand all the IQ plusses, but I also understand the ergonomic and functional minuses (principally IBIS). So I'm quietly selling my A7 and FE lenses and going back to where I was (Leica M240 bodies and an Olympus E-M1 for those other occasions where I'd like long focal lengths at long shutter speeds).

It's been so much fun on the Sony forum - pioneering I guess and definitely vibrant, with lots of killer images. But in the end it isn't for me - perhaps I just don't have the skill to take advantage of it - whatever - I'm passing, and the non-Sony lenses will stay and be used on the M240 and the E-M1

all the best

philip_pj

All the best Jono, on the next phase of the journey. You sure don't lack skill either, despite your modesty.

BOT, on my journeys I get by with:

a7r plus
Contax 21/2.8
RX1
FE55
100/3.5

and very happy with this light and versatile setup.

f/otographer

..something that has to be said: following your posts in the diverse threads over time imho you are posting really great artwork..what i do like especially is the fine sense of humour that comes with the titles of your photos (titles lacking in this post but present in most of the others) and makes every one of them even stronger..please keep up the really fine work..;)
psy, thank you very much for these incredibly kind words. I had actually missed this post for the last few days and upon seeing it when I checked the forum at work this morning (at which things were a bit rough) my day was immeasurably brightened upon reading them. :)

I am very glad you enjoy the titles. I name almost every photo that I end up keeping. Sometimes for the imagery or the mood it makes me feel, or even for song lyrics that pop into my head as I process it. I actually took criticism on another site when one member said he liked the images I posted but didnt like the "Flickr" titles I gave them. To which I replied that one mans prose is another mans doggerel.

Again, my thanks. :thumbup:

@ kit, thanks to you as well. Im very glad to have been able to capture my little girl in #2 and I am quite proud of that shot. Glad it speaks to you. :)

vjbelle

I'm bailing out
Yup..... me too!! I would give a hundred bucks to see the sigh on Guy's face;) but I'm done with the shutter vibration. Maybe you guys can put up with it. Many obviously use the camera in ways differently than me but the vibration issue is just too much for me. Maybe the next iteration will be much better..... if it wasn't for the shutter vibration I would keep the camera in a heartbeat. So for now its my compilation of Zeiss lenses - OTUS included - and my 800e.

Victor

Jono, I will miss your input to the Sony forum. However, I completely understand your reasons for getting out of the system. It is capable of exceptional image quality, but there is more to it than that - at least there is for me.

I got along great with the RX1 and, now, regret selling it to jump into the. A7r system. For some reason which I can't pinpoint, I am having difficulty getting comfortable with the new system. I don't know how long I can hold out. If me and the system don't start getting in sync soon then I will be ditching it as well. And it is not about the image quality.

jonoslack

Jono, I will miss your input to the Sony forum. However, I completely understand your reasons for getting out of the system. It is capable of exceptional image quality, but there is more to it than that - at least there is for me.

I got along great with the RX1 and, now, regret selling it to jump into the. A7r system. For some reason which I can't pinpoint, I am having difficulty getting comfortable with the new system. I don't know how long I can hold out. If me and the system don't start getting in sync soon then I will be ditching it as well. And it is not about the image quality.
Hi Mark
I've really tried. I like the cameras, and the feel, and of course the lovely IQ, But I think there are too many functional compromises I have to make to get that IQ.

It's really my personal issue: for me the most important thing is the content (and what helps me to get it). .......

ashwinrao1

Mark, I am with you. I found myself preferring the rx1r and am looking to go get one for my fiancée. The A7 had too many functional niggles for me in the end, but IQ was truly spectacular....I have settled on my M9 and MM, with the fuji x-t1 and ricoh to back up. The fuji is truly a joy to use, and I will live with aps-c given the camera's fantastic haptics, and for me, joy of use.

Jono, I wondered about wellness of fit. I am starting to play more and more with the idea of finally getting an M240.... Just need to find on at a fair but used price :)....

Taylor Sherman

Here's where I'm at, sorted by lens mount. All with the A7.

M:
21/3.4 Super-Elmar: great, in spite of the edge smearing
28/2 Summicron-M: on the fence
CV35/1.2: very happy though it's heavy
ZM50/2: like it a lot but it's got veiling flare issues
135/4 Elmar: great bargain, if long

R:

R35/2: great character esp. short distance
R60/2.8: very versatile
R80/1.4: also super versatile, fave of the 3

F:

ZF100/2: big, has CA issues, don't like the far-distance focus ratio. going to sell
CV125/2.5: new to me, a legend for macro, finding I get flare from the front filter threads, going to black them out
CV180/4: relatively tiny and high-quality.

G:

G90/2.8: great optically, and great size. I don't take it much because of the R80 though.

Looking forward, I am eagerly awaiting the new Zeiss FE manual-focus lenses. I'm planning on selling the R35 and ZF100. I'm not sure if I'll use the CV125 enough to justify the cost. I'm finding myself tempted to get a T/S wide angle, the TSE 17 is attractive but has obvious downsides (large, expensive, and I'd need a Metabones adapter). I thought that my Nex-7 + Touit 12/2.8 would be OK as an 18mm equivalent, but it is a pretty bulky "item" in the small camera bag (compared to just a lens). And the AF drives me nuts.

Ashwin and Jonon, thank you for your replies and it is re-assuring to know that I am not the only one sorting out kits. It is a Photokina year so there should be some new options coming along this summer. I am resisting the urge to get back into a Leica M system to supplement my S system. I have tried to find a low cost alternative to the M for the last 2 or 3 years and haven't been able to hit on the right mix of image quality and ergonomics/zen with camera. I have shot with the MM and M240 a few times and there was instant connection with both.

It will be interesting to see what happens. I am afraid there will be a lot of competition for my photography budget this year. In the mean time, I have two very capable systems even if one is not as loved as the other.

fotografz

Personally, I can take the A7R, or leave it. It's been more of a nice practical solution for my current needs.

I sold my M9-P then passed on the M240 for IQ reasons I've already mentioned. Besides, Rangefinder work for me has skewed to B&W, so the M Monochrome killed any interest in paying $7K for the addition of color. Popping this little camera into the MM case with the VM/CU adapter to use with the M21/1.4 ASPH, M50/0.95, M75AA or M90/2.8 suits me just fine.

No color M left me without a small easy to tote little camera to toss in the basket when bicycling around town, walking the dog in the country side, or just strolling on vacation … albeit one that delivers BIG "just in case" … mostly using the three FE AF lenses.

I only have three paying wedding/event jobs left this year where I'll need a suitable companion camera to my A99 using any of the ZAs on the A7R via the LAEA-4 adapter. Then it is full retirement from weddings, and I'll just be doing portraits and some personal projects … which is why my focus has been on continuing to build the Leica S system.

When the last wedding is shot, I'll FINALLY exit the whole 35mm DSLT/SLT category, and get it down to my Leica MM and S plus this little mouse of a camera for all the incidental color stuff.

That the A7R can jump from the Sony SLT bag to the Leica MM bag makes it an appealing and practical solution for now.

- Marc