The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with FE 55mm 1.8

Rawfa

I´m toying with the idea of getting one (I keep checking ebay every 1 hour heheh), so it would be great to see a compilation of all the talent that has been using this lens that already has such great reviews. I hope to be posting here soon too, so let the games begin :D

Rawfa

Hehehe. It´s really hard to ague with your statement with all the "off the charts" reviews. I might end up being the first to post here ;)

philip_pj

I'd like to see it bundled as a kit lens deal, for say $300 off the thousand they are asking. Most users will buy one anyway, and the lens and a7r are quite likely to have been made for each other. They sure work well together.

Rawfa

What did I tell you guys...just pulled the trigger on this babe :D Hope to be posting here soon.

Rawfa

Showperformance, thanks for the very nice shots. They will help me get by while I wait for mine to arrive.

If you've read my posts you will know this is not something I say very often...I love your treatment!

johnnygoesdigital

The 55 1.8 is probably the nicest AF lens i've used for 35mm FF. Here'a a few from Spring skiing in New England...

Last edited:

philip_pj

I heard a comment that this lens may not be as terrific at landscape distances as it is up close and more personal. The far ridge in this photo is several kilometres away. This is a pic that needed all the DR it could get, and my word the FE55 does snow a treat, just nails it.

Excuse any blurred detail in the 100% crop, the shot had to be done road side in five seconds handheld. No post for this one apart from capture sharpening. ISO 100 - f9 - 1/800s - a7r.

Corner performance is what puts this one above the other 50s - there is a great 'blur index' chart at this link giving you a good read on IQ by aperture setting:

Sony Lens: Primes - Sony FE 55mm f/1.8 ZA Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* SEL55F18Z (Tested) - SLRgear.com!

Rawfa

Still haven't had much time for proper testing, so here are some more quick self portraits. In 2 weeks I will have a gig and I will use the 55mm for sure.

P.S - The images didn't look this gritty when I was treating them on PS...I think there might be something wrong with my monitor.

philip_pj

The FE55 actually has some well-developed character in it's images. It is close to my favourite normal lens of all I have used, a bokeh machine wide open with really wonderful (a7r) landscapes at f11, very good close up with creamy fade, and just devastating at long distance.

I've never quite loved any Planar, but I think the six or seven Sonnars I have are special, especially the short telephotos (85mm - 135mm), which the FE55 so resembles.

This is an interesting short interview with Naoki Miyagawa - the intense young guy on the right - who is only 30 years old and already has both FE primes and the E 35/1.8 (and more earlier on) to his credit. His favourite lens is the 135STF, the article has its convincing MTF :

Google Translate

Why Sonnar?

"naturally redirects stray light towards the outside of the lens, which provides a better micro-contrast and better definition of the Sonnar"