The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7 vs RX1 - real world experience?

lhotse

Hi Guys n Gals,
I appreciate that this topic has been discussed fleetingly in other threads, however I am on the look out for real world comparison from someone who has owned both the RX1 and A7.

To provide a bit of context - I currently own an A7 and the FE 35mm/2.8 + adapted m-mount VC35/1.4 & 40mm M-rokkor. Having shot with the above in various combinations over the last couple of months I have following observations (which are undoubtedly not original):

1. I love the images which come out of the A7
2. I really wish the 35mm was an f2 (but similarly small / light - dreaming I know)
3. In an attempt to address this lack of speed I sourced the m-mount lenses. These are great (and I'm not at all bothered about their technical corner performance etc.) but I cannot trust manual focus wide open without resorting to the magnified view, which in turn, ruins my compositional mojo.
4. I like the EVF but I still miss the OVF from my M6/M8/x100 especially when it's a bright day (which in Queensland Australia is most days)
5. I need only shoot 35mm (and I have a wonderful Ricoh GR for 28mm = the only other focal length I feel bothered about)

This has all led me to the conclusion that I should consider side-grading my A7 kit for a used RX1 and bolting an OVF on top - am I crazy in thinking this is a good idea?

For those of you that have owned both the RX1 and A7 how do you feel they compare?

Any advice / suggestions / abuse is, as ever, much appreciated.

philip_pj

lhotse, I believe you should.

Several people who are EVF-averse have done so, there are several models that get very close to the exact frame. Someone who expresses 'relative unhappiness' after using several of the very good alternative lenses should at least try one along the way, it has maximum mojo. AF is much the same as a7 - very reliable.

Other notes:

The RX1 EVF is a little behind the a7/a7r one; the RX1 is a complete package, well integrated; the lens never fails to do its job; the lens is rather like a 35mm version of the FE55 in that it is good at everything, f2-f11 and all of the frame, all focal distances; the uncorrected FOV is actually more like 32mm; it uses the same sensor in any case; and it is a character camera with a character lens that makes very nice bokeh and has a handy and effective macro setting. Max shutter of 1/2000s so be prepared to carry an ND or dial down to f2.8 or maybe more.

The original RX1 already had a weak AA so not much between that and the RX1r, but for the same money I would get the r model, if you shoot detailed subjects at all and 'want it all'.

It was targeted at Leica M users whereas the a7 is more of an everyman camera, which is more armourised and solid (EVF housing), more controls, better ergo. It is the best 35mm lens ever made, in terms of technical performance. It suits your profile.

NomadMark

Several people who are EVF-averse have done so, there are several models that get very close to the exact frame. Someone who expresses 'relative unhappiness' after using several of the very good alternative lenses should at least try one along the way, it has maximum mojo. AF is much the same as a7 - very reliable.

Other notes:

The RX1 EVF is a little behind the a7/a7r one; the RX1 is a complete package, well integrated; the lens never fails to do its job; the lens is rather like a 35mm version of the FE55 in that it is good at everything, f2-f11 and all of the frame, all focal distances; the uncorrected FOV is actually more like 32mm; it uses the same sensor in any case; and it is a character camera with a character lens that makes very nice bokeh and has a handy and effective macro setting. Max shutter of 1/2000s so be prepared to carry an ND or dial down to f2.8 or maybe more.

The original RX1 already had a weak AA so not much between that and the RX1r, but for the same money I would get the r model, if you shoot detailed subjects at all and 'want it all'.

It was targeted at Leica M users whereas the a7 is more of an everyman camera, which is more armourised and solid (EVF housing), more controls, better ergo. It is the best 35mm lens ever made, in terms of technical performance. It suits your profile.

I like the RX1 EVF more than the A&. I would have said it was better, to be honest.

Also, Shutter speed is 1/2000 s (for apertures 2.0 to 4.0), 1/3200 s (for apertures down to 5.6), and even 1/4000 s (for smaller apertures down to 22). I find a good polarizing filter helps when shooting outside, to bring lighting down enough to make me happy.

Also, flash sync speeds on the RX1 are ultra fast!! 1/2000 s!!

I do agree however, that the lens is freaking great. Comparable to the 55.

I would rather the RX1 than the A7 and 35mm. I would rather the RX1 than the A7R and 35mm. I own both, and I think the RX1 is perhaps one of the finest cameras ever made =)

David Panno

Other notes:

Great assessment. Note that there is a body of opinion that feels that the RX1 produces a better overall image.

RX1R produces much more detail with JPEGS if that is important.

jerome_m

I do not own the A7, but I own a RX1 and both an OVF adapter (from Olympus, the Sony-Zeiss one is really expensive...) and the EVF adapter. I positively dislike EVFs and know them to be less than ideal under tropical sun.

This being said, an OVF adapter on the RX1 is an exercise in frustration. You can sure see what you are framing, but you have no idea what is in focus. I tried it and bought the EVF adapter.

harmsr

Workshop Member
I had both and still have the RX1r. If you put a RRS plate/grip and the EVF on it, it just works. I personally have no better combination for a 24mm FF sensor and 35mm focal length lens. The sensor/lens combo is just magic. The A7 and 35/2.8 are good but the RX1r is better.

If i could only have the "deserted island" one camera and lens. It would be the RX1r.

tashley

Subscriber Member
Hmm, the rx1 is great and I still have mine though I shoot mostly A7r these days. But an oft-overlooked factor is that while the rx1 lens always looks amazingly good at first glance, it has a weakness, which appears from time to time in the midfield and can be quite pronounced. Lens designers sometimes do this as a way of getting very sharp centre and edges and that's what the rx1 lens seems to me to do.

If I could equalise the FOV I would always prefer a 55 f1.8 shot on an A7 or R, and often prefer a 35 f2.8 shot.

I have an A7r. I like it, and with the really good Zeiss ZF lens I used for a while it produced amazing image quality. With my older eyes I have found the manual focus to be good for "slow" subjects when I can take my time to focus. I still have it and like it with Nikkors and especially with my Holga lens. I really dislike the shutter noise - sorry folks!
I recently got an RX1r and I am in love. Even with the Fotodiox grip and EVF its still small and handy. Its elegant in a way the A7r is not. Quick to focus and for some reason the image sharpness seems to be even better to me then the A7r
I admit the A7r is more versatile but I do love the RX1r.
Robert

nostatic

RX1r is a great camera. I want/need an EVF so that ended up being the reason I got rid of mine. Yes, you can add one but then you lose some of the advantages of the camera. The problem with OVF is that it doesn't give you any information other than framing. If you can live with that, then it is ok I suppose. Other than that, not much in the way of weakness with the camera.

Tim

Can you put an OVF on the A7 and then have best of both worlds?
Just slide the camera up/down as you frame to use either?

lhotse

Thanks for the insight people - much appreciated :)

I have heard mixed things about the RX1 EVF - as evidenced above - some say it is better than the A7's - some say worse - while I'm not a fan of EVFs in general I like the idea that the option is there if need be.

Ultimately, I think this decision may come down to how usable the OVF is on the RX1. I'm not bothered that it's dumb re exposure etc but I am really interested in the sort of hit rate I could expect from centre spot AF @ F2 - I know some people in previous discussions have said they find it quite accurate in this configuration, but others (such as Jerome above) say it is frustrating. Ideally I'd like to try it for myself before buying but I haven't found a unit I can do that on in Brisbane.

RE OVF on A7 - I may just try this Tim - however, I'm still stuck with the 35/2.8.

The next question is: who thinks sony will release a 35/2 in FE mount? I'm assuming the lens roadmap fast aperture prime relates to a 35mm/1.4 which will do doubt be pretty big, and beyond that I'm not sure sony would go for three 35mm options in FE (at least not in the short term).

The final spanner in the works is that I've just been offered a used RX1 for $1700 on another forum - unfortunately, there are other interested parties and I need to make a decision fairly quickly - hmmmmm :loco: (1st world problems eh)

jerome_m

I have heard mixed things about the RX1 EVF - as evidenced above - some say it is better than the A7's - some say worse -
They are largely similar. The electronics are the same.

I am really interested in the sort of hit rate I could expect from centre spot AF @ F2 - I know some people in previous discussions have said they find it quite accurate in this configuration, but others (such as Jerome above) say it is frustrating.
The hit rate may be good. What I find frustrating is that one has absolutely no info about:
-focus (even my old Nikon 35Ti had a little green light to tell me that the camera has achieved focus)
-exposure (and the camera will reach the max shutter speed relatively soon at f/2.0 but you won't be informed).

Ideally I'd like to try it for myself before buying but I haven't found a unit I can do that on in Brisbane.
You could mount an optical finder on your present A7 to find out if this way of taking pictures fits you.

The next question is: who thinks sony will release a 35/2 in FE mount?
Not me. Sony has not been fast in delivering lenses in the past years. Besides, there is a 35mm f/1.4 and a 35mm f/2.0 from Minolta that can be used in AF on the A7 with the adapter from Sony.

ohnri

I have the RX1 and the A7.

The RX1 is smaller, quieter and has the best 35mm lens I have ever used.

The A7 focuses faster, has some degree of weather sealing and is a lot more versatile.

If the slow focus of the RX1 suits you and you don't care about the weather sealing then I would go for the RX1.

Otherwise, the A7 with the very good 35mm FE lens is a fine choice.

In terms of IQ, I have been happy with both.

By the way, I would only get the RX1 with the EVF. I use it that way about 90% of the time.

-Bill

padams

I find the RX1 EVF to be much better than the A7 when it comes to refresh rate. Tracking a moving subject with RX1 EVF is very smooth whereas the moving image in the A7 EVF is very choppy IMHO.