The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

LR 5.4 Released

hcubell

Adobe has released LR 5.4. It has profiles for the FE 24-70 zoom and the forthcoming FE 70-200 zoom.

Annna T

Adobe has released LR 5.4. It has profiles for the FE 24-70 zoom and the forthcoming FE 70-200 zoom.
Is it a pre-release or the definitive release ? I ask, because I launched my copy, checked the updates from within the application and I'm told that my 5.3 version is up todate.

Or may be that it just take some time to arrive from the US to the EU ?

hcubell

It did not appear in my Creative Cloud Updater, but it did appear in LR itself under Check for Updates....in the US. It's not a Pre-Release. The big news is Lightroom Mobile.

Annna T

It did not appear in my Creative Cloud Updater, but it did appear in LR itself under Check for Updates....in the US. It's not a Pre-Release. The big news is Lightroom Mobile.
I have just checked Photoshop CS6 and I was offered the update and found the profile for the 24-70mm. It's nice that the different sony mounts are clearly separated in the drop down menu.

But there is still no update available for LR5. I tried visiting the US store or the UK store, but I'm automatically brought back to the Swiss store. I guess they have finally managed to segment the market and don't want us to see the 30% cheaper price they are getting in the US. (and that is after VAT subtraction to make prices comparable).

scho

Downloaded 5.4 and synced with LR Mobile on my iPad. I'll see how it works using the free 30 day trial for Mobile.

tashley

Subscriber Member
I'm afraid LR mobile is very much an infant. You can't import anything but JPEG and PNG from your camera roll, so the claim that you can edit raw files relates only to those that you have designated in desktop LR collections, and for those you get a synced smart preview file not the original, and not at original resolution so useless for sharpening and NR and, because of of gamut and gamma, useless for professional level toning and colour corrections. Why work on a mobile device only on files already on your desktop? What is needed is RAW import for field use, where first pass processing and sorting would be really useful... Photogene is a much more useful tool and has been with us for ages.

W.Utsch

Tim, tried it as well and i am 100% with you.
I can not see how we could store and edit 36MP files on an iPad not even with the 128 GB Pad.
But i love LR on my MAC.

scho

Tim, tried it as well and i am 100% with you.
I can not see how we could store and edit 36MP files on an iPad not even with the 128 GB Pad.
But i love LR on my MAC.
+1 at least I don't have to spend money on subscription.:thumbdown:

D

Deleted member 7792

What is needed is RAW import for field use, where first pass processing and sorting would be really useful...
I agree.

But I feel that this first attempt raises hope. The tablet market itself is in its infancy, and more powerful tablets will eventually replace the current crop and may eventually replace laptops as the mobile devices of choice. Having participated in and watched the evolution of computing and software since the 1960's, I believe that this first version of LR mobile is akin to the first version of Photoshop (or LR). Yes, it's marginally useful for serious amateurs and pro photographers, but it offers a glimmer of hope for the coming years. I have to remind myself frequently that my first digital camera was a Sony Mavica, not terribly long ago. :)

Joe

tashley

Subscriber Member
My initial thoughts were similar Joe, but the more I've mulled it, the more I think this app is part of the cruddy mindset that lead to people being forced into a CC subscription.

The mobile app requires cloud space to work, and at the base level that total amount of space is just 20 gig, so slightly larger than my average memory card. No doubt more is available if you pay more. Whereas on my ipad I have 115 gig usable of which 72 is currently available - more than enough for a week's vacation even if I deleted nothing.

So I see this as being about selling subscription services and cloud space upgrades. It allows me to do on the ipad only what I would already have done on the desktop, given that I can only use files (unless jpeg/png) which are already on the desktop machine.

What I want to do, and what apps like photogene have already shown is possible on an ipad, is to work on RAW files in a first-pass way, with those initial ratings, picks and edits passed to the desktop version on a later sync session. The iPad is already powerful enough for this both in terms of processing speed and memory space. So why not do it? And why headline on the 'this app lets you edit RAW files' when that is less than true?

I'd rather work with a copy of sigma photo professional!

IMHO Adobe have gone badly off track. I get that they're a commercial company and they want revenue, but they need to feed the goose a little more and take it for granted a little less or it will stop laying golden eggs for them...

Last edited: