The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Canon EF to A7 adapter help needed

f/otographer

Hoping to pick some brains here. I am looking for an adapter for the A7 that will allow me to use Canon EF glass. The caveat is that I only need manual focus, not auto focus.

What I have found available are several AF adapters with electronics that will allow EF lenses to be used in all there full frame goodness. I have also found dumb adapters with a built in aperture ring with no electronics. This is what I want but I think all of the ones I have found are more for the NEX cameras, since the reduced inner diameter of the opening is ok for crop apsc cameras but wont really work on the A7.

Does anyone know of a dumb adapter with a built in aperture that will allow EF lenses to be used on the A7 but still be full frame? If there is such an animal I would dearly love to know.

reflectedlights

I have the Fotodiox EOS to NEX adapter. Only allows manual focus and wide open. You may wish to either consider getting either a MF lens with built in aperture adjustment and adapter or if you have some old Canon FD lenses, get the FD to NEX adapter.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I never came across one so I bought the Metabones III but I like the aperture control on the camera like the rest of my lens set. Plus a biggy here for me it's easy to rent Canon glass and more important there T/S lenses work on the Sony. I want that 17 T/S

Guy Mancuso

I have my Zeiss 25mm F2 bolted to the Metabones adapter. It's manual focus but I get full exif and aperture control on body . Nikon mounts get get nether and there TS glass don't work.

arize84

I bought this to use on a Voigtlander 40MM Ultron. It is a Commlite adapter. It has AF but is way cheaper that metabones.

Amazon.com : Auto-focus Mount Adapter EF-NEX for Canon EF/EF-S Lens to Sony NEX with IS Exact Exposure : Camera Lens Adapters : Camera & Photo

It works flawlessly; tight fit, good build quality, full electronic communication, no vignetting or light reflections that I could see. The back of the adapter says FX to indicate it was designed to accommodate full frame E-mount. The one I ordered was for $135 from Docooler fulfilled by Amazon.

hot

I've a VILTROX adapter (for NEX5 and NEX7) - it works fine with most of my Canon/SIGMA lenses.

I didn't try it with an A7.

I never would buy overpriced metabones.

f/otographer

reflectedlights, thanks for the info. I actually shoot almost exclusively with manual focus glass of many types. I just needed this adapter since I came across a good trade for an EF 85/1.8 and that is a focal length I am currently missing.

Guy thats some good info there as well. True about being able to rent Canon glass, that is a huge plus to an A7 shooter and everyone should have some type of EF adapter in their bag. To bad the really good ones are so expenive, but that is always the case I suppose.

arize, thx for the link. I think Im going to have to go with one of the electronic ones.

Mike, thats a great link, thanks. I have pretty much ruled out the built in aperture since none work on FF. Its a shame no one has come up with a cheaper, manual version that would allow this to work.

hot, I dont know if Metabones is neccesarily over priced. I have their Speedbooster for NEX and it is a high quality product worth every penny. Its good to know the Viltrox is working though. Thanks.

Guy Mancuso

The Metebones is not cheap at 400 dollars but what appealed to me was aperture contol on camera wheel which all my other glasss has, so that simplifies operations. EXIF is just nice to have when you shoot a lot. Than there is rentals or purchase of EF glass. Now the biggy is I can use any Canon T/S lens which you cannot do with Nikon and Nikon G lenses use that silly aperture control on the adapter which you have no real idea of the real aperture. So when buying my new Zeiss 25mm F2 I had to make the call. Have to have the adapter anyway on either so the Canon mount was the most logical. Even though one reviewer says buy lenses with a aperture ring he is not looking at it from the correct perspective of using it currently with a Sony cam but looking at it for other stuff. I own Sony so frankly it's the best call for Sony EF cams. So I disagree with him and on many other things as well, I'm a shooting Pro and my needs are what I need today. Yes may have to sell the lens later but I have to stay with current needs with cams I own not what I test with. We have way diffrent priorities. He needs to explain that better which he did not do.

Last edited:

mbroomfield

Well the point I was making is that adding an aperture BEHIND the lens elements has nothing to do with normal aperture control that an iris controls in the optical center of your lens, it's just adding a mask which will cut off your corners.