The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Did the Sony A7R make you say goodbye...

pophoto

I know that some owners here who went with the A7R were also Nikon D800/E owners, did any of you say Goodbye to your DSLR, I'm curious to know if it did or relegate to lesser use despite the current lack of native lenses for the Sony?
And mostly why?

Thanks
Po

tashley

Subscriber Member
I sold everything else apart from my RX100 and RX1 - My Leica M240, D800E, 5DII, Pentax, nearly all the lenses for all the above (kept some for use with adaptors) and all the 'bits' such as flashguns etc.

The only thing I can't do now that I used to be able to do was tracking focus. Time will provide that to something that takes FE lenses, I hope...

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I completely sold out of my Nikon gear and went Sony. Why many reasons but maybe the biggest was far better live view with focus peaking that just about beats anything out there. Its far more accurate to nail focus but in the end I still have some of the same lenses just in Sony mount. My Sigma 35mm for instance was just a switch in mounts same with my Zeiss 25. I did get the 85 1.4 and 135 1.8 in ZA mounts which resembled my Nikon kit so no loss there at all. I also picked up the Rokinion 14mm which I had similar in Nikon. My only real addition end of day is the 55mm FE and with money saved I was able to pick up the A7. End of day the A7r replaced the same D800e and I got a Nikon 610 in the A7. Many other side car reasons as well, size, weight, mirrorless and things of that nature and more important I like the color better out of the Sony's. In the end I feel i did okay and I enjoy the Sonys more. In the end in the industry please tell me what the hell Nikon is doing as far as growing. Zero, Ziltch , Nada. Im not waiting 3 years for a change in technology while they sit on there *** and Canon is worse. Sony is at least making a push and I like that. Does not mean you have to keep upgrading but the system is growing that you can turn too if you want or need. Seriously I like Nikon and always liked there ergos but I see no growth and that bugs me a lot. D4s yes but its not really in my wheel house and the DF is really nice but I need a vertical grip and without it than a no go. 15k images in 4 days all portrait mode than i need a vertical grip. So that got me out as well of Nikon. Sony seems to be making everyones sensors today and I feel they are on the leading edge and it spilled over to at least 3 Medium Format backs and bodies as well.

Professional

I don't own or shoot with Nikon, and when i read a lot about Nikon D800/E i was like so tempting to get it to have highest mp on those 35mm DSLRs, but then i was worry about lenses to buy.

But, suddenly, it was like a miracle or my pray was answered, and that was with Sony brining out A7R, i did read some reviews and impressions and even comparisons between it and D800/E, i didn't think long and bought A7R last month just by second or third day of my mom death, and now all what i am waiting is the lens and adapter to enjoy this camera, i am sure it will be my travel camera when i plan to travel this year somewhere and i will leave behind my MF.

scho

Sold my D800e and the M9, Ricoh GXR system, and NEX6 are now on consignment. Just going with the A7r and Fuji X100s. I still have 3 film cameras that I use occasionally (Rolleiflex 2.8 Planar, Contax G, and Shen-Hao 6x9).

stngoldberg

I am a passionate photographer shooting everything that appeals to my sense of "fine art." That includes everything from Dance to sports to nature and landscape. The sony A7R is sufficient for some of the aforementioned pursuits but not all of them. In many cases I find fine art when using my 500mm lens and very often my 180 macro lens where the Sony doesn't present any options.
For the time being my Nikon 800E and Hasselblad H5D50 are my cameras of choice
I have access to the Sony through a friend and personally I don't see how it can replace my other cameras
Stanley

Ben Rubinstein

Sold my 5D3 and 5D, bunch of lenses, flashguns, etc. Albeit the A7r was the excuse to sell a wedding kit that I was still holding onto a year after retiring from event photography. It was the perfect excuse. Tiny, fun and IQ beyond anything I've ever had before.

ZoranC

I am not parting from my D700 with 70-200/2.8 VRII and Nikon flashes. My A7R can't replace that for me.

ohnri

Got a GH3 and an EM-5 and sold my M9 and most of my Leica gear. Just kept a couple of old film bodies and lenses.

Got an A7 and sold all my m4/3's gear.

But nothing available yet to replace my D4. Since I have to keep that I also still have most of my Nikon glass and a D800.

I hoped the new A7s would be a sports camera but it clearly is not. A low light beast yes, but not a sports camera.

I now expect that the A99 replacement will be more sports oriented. Who knows if it will be enough though. The combination of very fast tracking focus with a high frame rate and a deep buffer is unusual.

Best,

Bill

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Im expecting something great in the A mount. Its just a matter of time. They have the tech just need to get it all sorted out in a A mount cam.

bmorena

Yes it did. Although I moved from a 5d2 to the a7 I've been waiting for full frame mirrorless ever since m4/3 hit the scene. In the film days I ditched the slr for rangefinder and high end compacts. When I went digital apsc slr was the only real option and I was very thankful when full frame arrived but still a little bummed about a mirror box. When the m8 became affordable I was thrilled but I still needed a full frame slr for an occasional assignment. I was a little hesitant to embrace the a7 because of my troubled history with sony but I finally cut the cord with slrs for the 2nd time in my photographic timeline. Sorry for the ramble. Btw I just made the final switch this week, wish me luck.

philip_pj

The next Sony we will hear about will very likely be the 'sports camera' in a77 guise: super fast AF, no EVF lag, increased fps. Then something similar in FF, the long awaited a99 replacement with higher Mp and fast AF.

It's time to take on the few remaining holdouts - sports, event.

Professional, the a7r is a sublime travel camera, with a killer hit rate when used with care. The IQ I KNOW I'll get gets me out of bed on cold days eager to shoot my stuff each day. So it doubles up as a motivational device, lol.

fotografz

I view the Sony A7R as a surrogate, a sort of chameleon kit. It can jump from one systems bag to the next and fit in or be useful, but isn't a replacement.

I still have my A99 and all the FF A mount lenses from 16mm to 500mm. With the LEAE-4 adapter the A7R is part of that kit … however it is an Ersatz, because it lacks the IBIS, dual card capture, and fully articulated LCD.

The A7R can jump to the Leica M Monochrom bag and most of my M optics can be used for color work, or as a back-up. It falls short because it is not a rangefinder, so not a true substitute for that style of photography.

I can pop it into my Leica S systems bag with a couple of M or FE lenses as an emergency back-up. FF 36 meg helps mitigate the resolution situation, but is not a replacement for the MFD CCD look and feel, and doesn't offer a leaf-shutter solution when used with lighting. But, hey, it only takes up a slot that one S lens uses.

In its' own little 3 lens FE bag the A7R offers a nice tiny kit that really only needs a f/2 portrait focal length to be done for me. Nice travel option or general carry anywhere system.

- Marc

johnnygoesdigital

I did switch cameras because I really like the size of a mirror-less full frame that has the ability to shoot so many lens combo's - the color is much nicer OOC too. At this price point you can have a b/u that is not insulting and produces technically, "as good photos" as just about anything else. Some of the magazines I shoot for, require that you start with a good pic with as little editing as possible and using DNG the Sony shows very little editing.The D800 and Leica S are great camera systems, but I just think the A7 is a better camera for OOC pics to start with. Leaf shutters and strobes are certainly the Leica S and Hasselblad's domain, but with HSS and the A7 not as exclusive anymore. I choose the 24mp for it's faster, quicker shutter and the ability to shoot wides. Thinking about the As too.

As far as sports is concerned, the A7 is pretty good too. Batteries have been excellent in airplane mode and the weather sealing, well...sealed the deal.

Thomas Fallon

If Guy thinks Nikon is lagging behind, what about Canon? I remember when Canon had such a lead that Nikon did not even make a ff camera. I have had three flagship Canon bodies at $7k each. I don't mind paying as the cameras make me money, but I do expect them to make some kind of major upgrade. They have not. Love the live view on the Sony. Done with optical viewfinders. Focus peaking is great. Using all my Zeiss glass from the Canon on the A7R. Not the fastest thing in the world but the IQ is fantastic. The best tool I have ever had for the way I work. I'd like more of a pro body but that's about all it is lacking.

ashwinrao1

I have had a different experience. Loved the A7, but ultimately felt slightly disconnected from the camera, as well as missing the RF experience...I have back to shooting my MM more, picked up the Fuji X-T1 for AF/tracking/etc, and now have an M240 for use with my M lenses. If I were starting fresh and didn't care for the RF experience, an A7r and A7s combo could do nearly everything.

I plan to revisit the fray once Sony releases a body comparable to the A7s, with phase detect AF and a leaf shutter....Sony's sensor tech is incredible, and I am waiting for the system to mature with lenses and some added features, as listed above....I have no doubt that they will get there soon enough...