The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Anyone have the FE 70-200/F4 yet?

iiiNelson

Sorry, I will check if that's the source of the play. Not sure if I have the tool to tighten the lens mount on the camera.
Just was curious. If none of your other lenses have play it probably isn't the source but it was interesting to read that loose mounts were the culprit for SOME of the light leak issues that SOME had. I know some have had shutter shock issues and I don't doubt it's a real thing in some instances but I haven't had any issues myself with it myself in real shots when I do my part.

hcubell

I went out into the rain today to shoot the Sony FE 70-200. The lens is excellent. I tested it at 70mm, 100mm, 135mm and 200mm against the Nikon 70-200 VR II on a D800E at f4, 5.6, 8 and 11. At 100% on screen the two lenses are generally quite comparable, but I would give the edge to the Sony(except that at 200mm the right side of the Sony is softer than the left side). I attached a RRS MPR-73 Plate to the foot of the Sony zoom.
UPDATE: I have reviewed the files more closely and it does appear that my copy is a bit decentered as the left side of the files is a tad softer that the center and right side. However, this is at 100% on screen. I am not a big lens tester so I don't know if this is to be expected.
FURTHER UPDATE: I also did a similar comparison of the Sony Zeiss FE 24-70 against the Nikon 24-70 2.8 on the D800E. Ugh. Very disappointing. Version II of this lens can't arrive soon enough for me.

Last edited:

dwood

I went out into the rain today to shoot the Sony FE 70-200. The lens is excellent. I tested it at 70mm, 100mm, 135mm and 200mm against the Nikon 70-200 VR II on a D800E at f4, 5.6, 8 and 11. At 100% on screen the two lenses are generally quite comparable, but I would give the edge to the Sony(except that at 200mm the right side of the Sony is softer than the left side). I attached a RRS MPR-73 Plate to the foot of the Sony zoom.
This is encouraging, and I'm anxious for mine to show up.

As an aside, were you able to determine what the lens/mount 'play' issue was?

Lovely November weather we're having here in New England, huh?

hcubell

This is encouraging, and I'm anxious for mine to show up.

As an aside, were you able to determine what the lens/mount 'play' issue was?

Lovely November weather we're having here in New England, huh?
No idea what the "play" in the mount is from, but it does not seem to affect the lens performance.

Typical New England "Spring". Worst time of year.

dandrewk

Greetings. Long time dpreview poster, first time here.

I ordered the FE 70-200 from Amazon and Sony. Like others, I was anxiously awaiting it. I also periodically checked other online retailers, including my favorite local chain, Samy's Camera (California). Last Tuesday, shock of shocks, the lens showed as in stock. My local store had them but all were pre-ordered, but they still had stock online. I may have gotten the last one. Yes, it has a USA warranty.

I suspect Samy's -may- have jumped the gun in making them available. Look for wide USA release after Sony's dog & pony show this Thursday.

Anyway, I went out and did a slew of test shots, including an attempt at birds in flight. You can see the shots here:

FE 70-200mm F4 G, GG Bridge & Beach Test Shots: Sony Alpha/NEX E-mount Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Long story short - the lens is a keeper! I love the look and feel of the lens, and it autofocuses super fast. The lens is quite sharp at all lengths except wide open at 200mm. Even that isn't all that bad. I think this lens will take its place alongside the Nikon and Canon versions.

Ocean

Senior Subscriber Member
I got mine today (shipped from Japan). I didn’t have any chance to do any outdoor shooting, just few test shoots indoor in low light conditions. The lens is very light and fits very nicely with the A7r with or without the body grip. The focus speed is pretty fast in good lighting condition but it hunts quite a bit in low light and in close focus distance. It is also interesting to note that the minimum focus distance varies from 1 meter in 70mm focal length to 1.5 meters in 200mm. I find the IQ of the lens to be excellent overall. I compared it to my Nikon D800 with the 70-200/2,8 VR-II lens. Their performances are very comparable with Sony stronger in the range from 70mm to 135mm but Nikon better in 200mm. I also found that the OSS is very effective and I can hand hold the lens and get sharp images in 1/50 sec shutter speed at 200mm. There have been some reports about the QC of the lens. But I was lucky that my copy didn’t have any de-centering problems.

dandrewk

Thanks Joe. As mentioned in that thread, for some reason DPR down-rezzed the images, probably due to monthly upload quota limits. I'll repost next month (tomorrow) for much improved pixel peeking.

Let us know how you like the lens when you get it.

D

Deleted member 7792

Let us know how you like the lens when you get it.
Hopefully that will be soon. I checked my order status today and this was posted on the B&H website: "Status: In stock, order sent to warehouse." That may mean my lens will ship today or tomorrow. Woohoo!

Joe

dandrewk

Hopefully that will be soon. I checked my order status today and this was posted on the B&H website: "Status: In stock, order sent to warehouse." That may mean my lens will ship today or tomorrow. Woohoo!

Joe
Is there anything more thrilling than getting a new lens? Are there three better words in the English language than "Out for Delivery"?

Just remember when you first get the box - yes, there is a lens in there, no matter how light the box seems.