The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

4x5 adapter for graflok back for use with sony a7r

Hi Scho,

Thanks so much for the reply back, much appreciated! I am definitely keen to get one of these to give it a go.. I have a whole range of Pentax 67 lenses (45mm - 200mm) that I would love to see getting some use..

For my style of shooting, having front shift is very important and I see the Rhinocam being mainly used for landscape/architecture, just wondering if you can see if there is a possibility of having the Rhinocam being able to be somehow modified to have a Canon Eos mount on it? Or is there simply not enough room to allow this?

Currently it takes Mamiya 645, Pentax 645 and Hasselblad mounts right?

So my thinking is that if it is somehow able to take a Canon Eos mount, then I would be able to attach my Mirex Canon Eos - Mamiya 645 tilt/shift adapter and then via another adapter ( Mamiya 645 - Pentax 67 ) be able to get movements out of my Pentax 67 lenses :)

Currently the only way i see being able to achieve this, is to buy the Rhinocam with a Mamiya 645 mount and using the Mamiya 645 55mm Shift lens on it.. Via another adapter (M645 - P67) you would also be able to access the Pentax 67 75mm Shift..

I do not own either of these lenses but as mentioned before, do own a whole bunch of Pentax 67 lenses..

Phew, hope that makes sense...

Thanks again, much appreciated!

scho

I removed the Rhinocam ground glass preview screen that was obstructing the A7r and now it works fine. Simply remove 4 small screws and the ground glass unit pops right off. If you need the screen for composition it can easily be put back on after mounting and rotating the A7r into shooting position. I posted a test sample pano consisting of 8 shots stitched and cropped to produce a 133 MP file.
One more test shot using the Sony A7r + Rhinocam with Hassy 80 Planar. Groundglass removed to allow mounting A7r in portrait orientation. This was a 5x2 for a ten shot stitched 196 MP file.

Original

100% Screen grab crop

Same test scene shot with the A7r and Hasselblad 40mm f/4 Distagon on the rhinocam in landscape orientation. Six shot pano.

scho

Hi Scho,

Thanks so much for the reply back, much appreciated! I am definitely keen to get one of these to give it a go.. I have a whole range of Pentax 67 lenses (45mm - 200mm) that I would love to see getting some use..

For my style of shooting, having front shift is very important and I see the Rhinocam being mainly used for landscape/architecture, just wondering if you can see if there is a possibility of having the Rhinocam being able to be somehow modified to have a Canon Eos mount on it? Or is there simply not enough room to allow this?

Currently it takes Mamiya 645, Pentax 645 and Hasselblad mounts right?

So my thinking is that if it is somehow able to take a Canon Eos mount, then I would be able to attach my Mirex Canon Eos - Mamiya 645 tilt/shift adapter and then via another adapter ( Mamiya 645 - Pentax 67 ) be able to get movements out of my Pentax 67 lenses :)

Currently the only way i see being able to achieve this, is to buy the Rhinocam with a Mamiya 645 mount and using the Mamiya 645 55mm Shift lens on it.. Via another adapter (M645 - P67) you would also be able to access the Pentax 67 75mm Shift..

I do not own either of these lenses but as mentioned before, do own a whole bunch of Pentax 67 lenses..

Phew, hope that makes sense...

Thanks again, much appreciated!
If you need tilt/shift capability you could just mount the rhinocam on any 4x5 that has a grafloc adapter for backs. Fits fine on my Shen-Hao field camera.

psy501

If you need tilt/shift capability you could just mount the rhinocam on any 4x5 that has a grafloc adapter for backs. Fits fine on my Shen-Hao field camera.
..do you mean by this that the 'normal' rhinocam fits a universal graflok back..?

..this would be great news and the solution to my problems..:)..

Uaiomex

Hi Carl, you owe me $300. Last night I ordered the Vizelex. lol!
I have a 4X5 Tachihara. I am wondering if it would be possible to attach the Rhinocam (no Graflok).
Very excited about this whole thing. My converted IR A6000 is ready for shipping.
Best
Eduardo

scho

Hi Carl, you owe me $300. Last night I ordered the Vizelex. lol!
I have a 4X5 Tachihara. I am wondering if it would be possible to attach the Rhinocam (no Graflok).
Very excited about this whole thing. My converted IR A6000 is ready for shipping.
Best
Eduardo
I don't know how you can attach the rhinocam w/o a grafloc connection. Look forward to seeing some hi res IR images from your converted 6000 on the rhino. I have an older IR converted NEX 5N that works well on the rhinocam.

psy501

..@scho: thx again for the valuable info..a few questions left..:)..i suppose you detach the mamiya/hasselblad/pentax adapter from the rhinocam plate..?

..is there some kind of workaround to stitch a bigger area as is provided by the rhinocam..?..i can live with it but getting an area a bit closer to the 4x5 the lenses provide would be fine..

..build quality is ok..?

..thx a lot, carl..best regards, erik..

psy501

..ah..forgot one..:)..the handgrip of the a7 is no show stopper if i got it right..sorry if you mentioned it already..i am on vacation right now with an unstable internet connection..so i have to be quick reading..:)..

scho

thx again for the valuable info..a few questions left..:)..i suppose you detach the mamiya/hasselblad/pentax adapter from the rhinocam plate..?

Yes, take off the lens adapter if you want to mount the plate on a 4x5.

..is there some kind of workaround to stitch a bigger area as is provided by the rhinocam..?..i can live with it but getting an area a bit closer to the 4x5 the lenses provide would be fine..

I haven't explored this but I don't think that you can cover the whole 4x5 area.

..build quality is ok..?

Yes, OK, but not exceptional. You have to be a bit careful rotating the camera adapter between vertical and horizontal positions. the set screw is a little flimsy.

scho

..ah..forgot one..:)..the handgrip of the a7 is no show stopper if i got it right..sorry if you mentioned it already..i am on vacation right now with an unstable internet connection..so i have to be quick reading..:)..
No problem, but you need to remove the ground glass preview/framing unit before mounting the A7. I've found that it is often easier to just use the camera LCD for estimating the image composition by moving the camera to the begin and end stop positions for the stitch.

chiek

Yes, I guess Rhinocam imported chinese sliding back products and mod to stitching. 100% fit for Graflok back

Last edited:

psy501

..btw..does one you have experience with the multistitch..?..its of course more expensive, but it seems to have the advantage that it covers a bigger area than the rhinocam..but it is not natively emount..its canon/nikon and has to be used with an adapter which i think makes a long barrel when mounting the a7 behind and probably introduces some vignetting..?

..thx in advance for sharing your thoughts/experiences..

scho

..btw..does one you have experience with the multistitch..?..its of course more expensive, but it seems to have the advantage that it covers a bigger area than the rhinocam..but it is not natively emount..its canon/nikon and has to be used with an adapter which i think makes a long barrel when mounting the a7 behind and probably introduces some vignetting..?

..thx in advance for sharing your thoughts/experiences..
Looks promising if you want to use 4x5 camera and LF lenses. Is he going to make an E mount version? Seems that the A7r would be perfect for this, but I don't think I would want to use a Canon/Nikon mount with adapter.

psy501

..yes it does look promising, but i just found out by further reading that you have to attach and detach the adapter several times to get the maximum coverage and you also have to flip it inside out what makes it useable for studio and tabletop work..but forget about landscape..:-(..:)..

..so it seems the rhinocam is the way to go..