The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Canon New FD Lenses on A7R?

Thomas Fallon

I am looking at long telephotos, 300mm or more. Is there an adapter that will work using anything other than stop down metering?

Stefan Steib

Hi Thomas

I use 135,200 and 300mm FD lenses on the Sony A7r.

You really don´t need to open and close the aperture (if you have stopped down a lot) as the EVF is so bright and enhancing that you can focus and view the focus area by peaking very exactly.

And nearly all adapters have a fullopen/close ring so you can choose your aperture- turn the ring, do fine focus- turn back the ring to the preset aperture.

But auto aperture - no.

Regards
Stefan

Ben Rubinstein

I'm not sure that auto aperture is not a two edged sword. On one hand it's easier to focus, especially compared to when stopped down significantly. On the other hand you have to deal with focus shift.