The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

May 1st Sony announcements?

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Okay was just at Tempe Camera and they had a A6000 on display. Very cool AF for sure , so let's hope this tech jumps in future bodies. AFC was really nice. But it just seemed a little to small for me. But for the money don't look the other way, it's really really nice and maybe the best APS cam I have seen so far. Make a nice little backup and travel cam for sure. Looking forward to this announcement. We need glass for sure

Rand47

Give me an A-mount version of the A7r. I'm sitting on a pile of A-mount glass, hate the a99, don't want an SLT adapter for A7r. Arrrgghhh... I'm not confident that the A-mount isn't dead & abandoned (albeit a slow death), but I'd be overjoyed to be proven wrong.

Rand

Guy Mancuso

Well no doubt a A77 replacement is going to be announced. Even though its APS it still takes the A mount

bipbip

Been reading a lot on the A6000 and sounds pretty good .../ ... Okay secretly been looking at the A6000 with the 16-70 f4 zoom at B&H for under 1400.
Read up a lot on this one too and ordered one, should be here next week. Still wanting to see what people think of the 16-70 on it; lots of cash for a lens I'm not sure about yet ...

Guy Mancuso

This is interesting just got this notice from B&H and read the 16-70 was discontinued elsewhere . Now not sure what announcements may happen but this may have something that relates to this.

800.606.6969 / 212.444.6615
Follow B&H on

Dear Customer

Thank you for your interest in the following item:

Sony Alpha A6000 Mirrorless Digital Camera Kit with 16-70mm Lens (Black)
(B&H # SOA6000BX)

You are receiving this message because you asked to be notified when this item becomes available. We regret to inform you that this item has unfortunately been discontinued. Please check back on our website for similar or possible replacement items.

We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding.

Product Availability Update

Sony

B&H # SOA6000BX
Alpha A6000 Mirrorless Digital Camera Kit with 16-70mm Lens (Black)

Thank you,
The B&H Web Team
B&H Photo Video Digital Cameras, Photography, Camcorders
420 Ninth Avenue, New York, NY 10001, USA | Call: 212-560-3277 / 800-718-5999

Prices, specifications, and images are subject to change without notice. This is an automated email response and cannot be replied to.
To contact us by email, click here

bipbip

This is interesting just got this notice from B&H and read the 16-70 was discontinued ...
Thanks for the heads up. It's an interesting focal length range but I still think the price is way beyond what people expect an f/4 zoom to cost for APS-C. I'd pay 500€ for it, not double.

Ben Rubinstein

Haha, I've go a great 85mm, the Pentax M 85mm f2, tiny cheap lens with far nicer rendition than my canon 85mm 1.8 ever managed. I do however need a wide though and have pursuaded myself that I'm best off waiting to see if the sony 16-35mm is worth the astronomical price they're bound to ask for it. If the corners are good I'll probably stump up the cash whatever it is. The question is will they be?

dandrewk

SAR's latest posting almost guarantees an announcement of the 85mm and WA zoom.

I am so ambivalent about the zoom. I need something wider than my FE 35, and I know there is a Zeiss 21 (24?) coming. Probably quite compact. The rumored 16-35mm is very useful, but it will probably be a bit bulky and expensive.

Uaiomex

If true, my 6D will be my last Canon dslr.
Eduardo
It'll be the A99 replacement, which is a mirrorless DSLR-style camera. It'll have the 50Mpx 44x33 sensor in it, and interchangeable mounts - one for A-mount, one for something medium-format. New? Standard? I don't know. A-mount lenses work in crop mode, getting 29Mpx.

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
SAR's latest posting almost guarantees an announcement of the 85mm and WA zoom.

I am so ambivalent about the zoom. I need something wider than my FE 35, and I know there is a Zeiss 21 (24?) coming. Probably quite compact. The rumored 16-35mm is very useful, but it will probably be a bit bulky and expensive.
Dan, there are wider and there are longer and there are faster lenses coming. Sony is quite serious about developing out this line as fast as they can is the word I am getting. This is the future likely of the whole Alpha line.

dandrewk

Dan, there are wider and there are longer and there are faster lenses coming. Sony is quite serious about developing out this line as fast as they can is the word I am getting. This is the future likely of the whole Alpha line.
Chuck, understood. I currently have the FE 35, 55 and 70-200. I'm still lacking in the WA ranges. I've been using my Nikon 16-35 F4 w/Novaflex, which works well, but I want something with AF and VR/OSS.

I'm undecided to get the Sony WA zoom or wait for a prime. It would be great if they at least gave us a firmer roadmap this Wednesday.

philip_pj

Sony are very good at making wrongologists of us all, I suspect.
My shot is: FE 85mm f1.8 - $900-1000 - based on the generally well-received FE55, which it will look like and feel like, similar weight too. Sony's designers are very big on bokeh for FE primes - they are fans of the Summilux series.

It will need to be special to succeed well, as almost all short teles are excellent, so no CA and care to minimise LoCA, and great from wide open. AF (very important at this FL) and native mount will win them the day for a lot of FE users, and it completes a very good three lens setup for Leica type shooters: FE35/FE55/FE85.

I can't say anything nice about the WA zoom idea. They are all big, heavy and costly, not what FE needs. A WATE would be great however.