The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

May 1st Sony announcements?

Taylor Sherman

I'm definitely interested in the 16-35 zoom, though it'll have to be excellent to get me to buy one before I see what Zeiss has in store for us later this year.

Given the number of things now expected on the 1st (A77II, RX100mk3, FE UW zoom, FE 85mm) I'd be pretty surprised if my crazy "MF A99 replacement" idea is one of them.

Ben Rubinstein

Doubt it, an 85mm lens together with a 50mm and 35mm make up the most popular prime focal lengths. They already have the other two so...

fotografz

I'm definitely interested in the 16-35 zoom, though it'll have to be excellent to get me to buy one before I see what Zeiss has in store for us later this year.

Given the number of things now expected on the 1st (A77II, RX100mk3, FE UW zoom, FE 85mm) I'd be pretty surprised if my crazy "MF A99 replacement" idea is one of them.
A high meg A99 replacement that takes ZAs and other lenses seems pretty big news to waste in a Photokina year.

Oh course, if they got it why not flaunt it? Sure would gut Canon/Nikon releases for Photokina.:D

WHAT THEY NEED IS A SMALL, POWER-PACKED, FULLY ARTICULATED SPEED-LIGHT FOR THE FE MOUNT CAMERAS! If it were radio controlled like the Canon 600s, all the better.

IMO, this one omission will keep the entire system from being widely thought of as a serious replacement for the wedding/event cameras from Canon/Nikon … or any photographer that uses a speed-light for a bit of fill to balance out contrast.

Don't really care about a 16-35 zoom, I rarely use the ZA one I already have, making it a crummy value for what it costs.

A FE 85/1.8 is another matter. The ZA85/1.4 is a screw drive AF lens and a bit slow on the LEAE-4 adapter. A real coup would be if the FE85 version were stabilized.:thumbs:

- Marc

ThomasZ

While I'm also waiting for the w/a zoom lens, I hope they do not make the typically 16-35. If their goal is size combined with IQ, a 16-28 F4 or a 14-24 F4 would be easier to make. Many A7 photographers already have the 35mm focal length, either with the 35mm prime, the 24-70 zoom or both.

And I really, really hope that the IQ is better than of the 24-70F4. The new 70-200 seems to be good.

Rawfa

I´ve stopped trying to get Sony. They are about to release the A77II and it has 79 af points, 15 cross points. I would think it would use the same "fastest AF in the world" system of the A6000.

iiiNelson

I´ve stopped trying to get Sony. They are about to release the A77II and it has 79 af points, 15 cross points. I would think it would use the same "fastest AF in the world" system of the A6000.
I'm sure they were developed by entirely different team being released so close to one another. There may also be some sensors variations necessary due to the translucent mirror. Who knows though - maybe on announcement day the specs will be exactly the same as the A6000 but maybe there are performance improvements that we don't see on the spec sheet like AF accuracy.

It's the thing that irritate me the most about Sony AF lenses with smaller apertures. My 55/1.8 FE noticeably is faster to lock and more accurate than the 24-70/4 FE when in lower light situations. In bright daylight to daybreak/ dusk situations there's no issues though. I don't know that other systems have those issues. I never had pro quality lenses on my Canon system and my Panasonic Micro 4/3 were relatively quick and accurate with all the lenses I owned. Admittedly I owned all of the better ones that were available at the time I owned it as my primary system (2008-2010.)

MikalWGrass

Yes, it will be interesting to see what Sony releases on the 1st. I think I reached the AF limits of the a900 at least for kids flag football games. I could do without 12 fps as long as the camera has a better AF system. Why does Sony think that people need 12 fps if the AF can't keep up with the frame rate?

Rawfa, the fast focusing in the a6000 isn't for spot focusing, but more for wider focusing is what I read. Like you though, I would really like Sony to ramp up their production and become a bigger player in the camera market.

iiiNelson

While I'm also waiting for the w/a zoom lens, I hope they do not make the typically 16-35. If their goal is size combined with IQ, a 16-28 F4 or a 14-24 F4 would be easier to make. Many A7 photographers already have the 35mm focal length, either with the 35mm prime, the 24-70 zoom or both.

And I really, really hope that the IQ is better than of the 24-70F4. The new 70-200 seems to be good.
I agree that a 14-24 would be a much more useful zoom to me personally for a few reasons. First it would allow me to get rid of the FE 24-70/4 and my Rokinon 14/T3.1 as I got it solely because I NEED something wider than 35 at times but not as wide as 14 all the time. The FE35 and FE55 perform worlds better than the FE24-70. I prefer primes in those focal ranges and a 35 and 50-ish can take care of 60-70% of what I shoot for myself. There's also a faster FE35 rumored to be released later this year which would be great news for me even if it's a bit larger. Throw in a fast 21/24 and a fast 85-105 macro (with a focus limit switch)/ portrait lens and I'm set 100%on a kit.

The FE70-200/4 seems good enough for when I need AF from what I can tell at web resolution so I can happily sell my 1st generation Alpha 70-200/2.8 since size is my only hangup with this lens. I have a nice set of Zeiss Contax fast primes between 85mm and 180mm with apertures between f/1.4-2.8 for portraits plus I prefer manual focus or as least non-focus by wire lenses for portraits.

I agree with the notion that I wish more flash makers supported Sony systems close to the same level as they do Canon and Nikon. The last week has left me scratching my head of whether or not some of the wireless systems will or won't work with Sony cameras out the box without mods or extra equipment.

Ben Rubinstein

No pics even? To be honest I wish they had left out the OSS. I'm a big believer in stabilisation however a small system deserves small lenses and this doesn't help, ditto for the price.

dwood

No pics even? To be honest I wish they had left out the OSS. I'm a big believer in stabilisation however a small system deserves small lenses and this doesn't help, ditto for the price.
I'll be using this on a tripod 99% of the time, so don't need the OSS either. However, Sony is building a line of zooms here, and they probably would have heard it from customers if left off this lens.

I haven't seen any pricing for this yet. Have you heard/seen something?

biglouis

Where is the new 16-35 actually announced? I can't find any news on the interweb, anywhere.

LouisB

nostatic

I'm actually interested in the rumored RX100m3. If it has a 24-70 (or 100?)/1.8-2.8 lens and a built-in EVF without getting much bigger, that could be a pretty compelling 2nd cam. Frankly my current RX100m2 gives files that compete fairly well with the GH3. Only real downside is that it is slow at the long end of the zoom. Otherwise, pretty slick compact cam.

MikalWGrass

The a77II looks pretty interesting and the sound of the shutter clicking at 12 fps is nice. I have yet to see how well the camera tracks a subject moving towards the camera in any of the sites mentioned on SAR. My guess is that a high frame rate and fast AF are to be used for sports, not still life, yet there is nary a site that I could find that shows the fast AF being used for sports.

Can anyone tell me why the photos that were taken by the beta testers look so bland, crappy, and seem to be of poor quality? Whom does the beta testing for Sony?

I may be interested in this camera and a wider angle zoom as it looks interesting.