The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony A7r and the WATE

iiiNelson

Not sure I would sell the Leica 19 for the WATE. The Leica 19 is a special lens. I had it twice and if it was not for money need of other stuff i would never had sold it twice. But if you are thinking about it place a ad. I need to sell my freaking printer. Im thinking of selling my new Zeiss 25mm F2 and Metabones III adapter that goes with it and get the 24mm F2 Sony Zeiss as I am almost all A lenses right now except for the 55 and Im on my way to go buy the damn 28-70 right now. I still need a zoom and the 24-70 is nice but its a 27mm -65 zoom and its not for high quality shooting but PR crap and it will sit on the A7 or A6000. I just rented the A6000 and with the Sony 4 adapter like the A7 and A7r it is limited to AF points in the middle but the FE lenses are AF heaven as the AF points go right to all the edges and it tracks nice too.
I've actually been thinking about selling the 24-70 and just going with the 28-70.The 24-70 is good enough but not worth three times the price IMO. I prefer the wider angle of the 24 (it's pretty decent with Lightroom lens profile) but perhaps the 16-35 will satisfy me. Just depends on how fast the local store can get FE lenses in which generally isn't fast for whatever reason.

biglouis

One thing none of us may be factoring in is the almost-announced FE 16-35 f4 zoom.

Or the FE 21/2.8 or the FE 25/2 on the roadmap. If they are ever realised they could be useful lenses.

LouisB

iiiNelson

A 21/2 or 21/2.8 would cover 90% of my wide angle needs but the 16-35 is on my radar. It would possibly allow me to swap my 24-70 for a 28-70, sell off my Rokinon 14, and my 70-200/2.8 towards a 70-200/4.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Maybe one good reason for me to get the 28-70 and if needed get the 16-35. I have the Sony 20mm 2.8 I just bought used in NY and its not bad. My one concern is the A77II as that maybe the A7 replacement. So Im trying to buy with A mount in mind as well. The real problem here is we need those 79 AF points and that tracking tech in our A7's and more important Sony getting off there *** and fixing this A to FE adapter so we can use the AF points like our FE lenses can do. This center cluster is bugging the crap out of me . It bugged me with Nikon too so Im fighting this little battle and the A77II looks to be the answer. When you folks get a chance look at the AF pattern on the A77II it goes all the way out there and so does this rented A6000 i have this weekend but won't work on the damn A lenses. Im getting pissed and thats not good for Sony. LOL

Im ready to jump down someones throat.

Guy Mancuso

Let me bitch some more. On playback the A7 series its a 2 press to get in to zoom the dang A6000 one hit of the button goes right to 100 percent and fast as heck to. Zoom to focus still 2 presses say on C1 button but its lightning fast. I maybe buying one of these and one big reason the 55 is a 82.5mm F1.8 lens that is lightning fast to AF. My same focal length on the A7 is the 85 1.4 A lens and slow to do it and worse the AF point on a vertical will not hit someone's face the A6000 with the 55 1.8 will nail it in a heart beat.

You can see my frustration with a lack of FE lenses. Im not switching systems again and staying with Sony but I need to be in some engineers ear when they design these things. They need photographers on staff.

iiiNelson

I think the adapters were a stopgap solution until native lenses are released. I think you have a specialized need that admittedly many of us enthusiast have. As for the A77 or other A mount cameras - it may be a great fit for you if it works accordingly for your needs. I think it's only a matter of time before Sony completely drops the SLT in favor of just making a mirrorless A-mount camera as it just makes more sense to me provided the body is still ergonomic.

Guy Mancuso

I dont disagree one second with you either and totally agree we are buying time. I know my needs are very specific but I know many many hobbyists and Pros are hoping for some of the same things so I don't feel unique here. I agree its a new system and i jumped maybe a bit fast but I do not regret it for a second. Im only bitching to get the word out as i am calm as as can be on it. Im used to workarounds so its not like I am leaving images on the shop floor. Everything is getting done, i would like it as well as others in a more proficient way.

Guy Mancuso

BTW I am enjoying the folks here on the Sony forum if I have not said it before it is a great bunch of folks that really work hard at helping each other. Everyone gets along swimmingly. Got to love that.

iiiNelson

I dont disagree one second with you either and totally agree we are buying time. I know my needs are very specific but I know many many hobbyists and Pros are hoping for some of the same things so I don't feel unique here. I agree its a new system and i jumped maybe a bit fast but I do not regret it for a second. Im only bitching to get the word out as i am calm as as can be on it. Im used to workarounds so its not like I am leaving images on the shop floor. Everything is getting done, i would like it as well as others in a more proficient way.
Agree on the need/desire for more native lenses. It's the one thing making me apprehensive to sell my M9P that I otherwise love but truthfully can be replaced by a complete FF mirrorless while financing a digital MF system for max IQ when wanted/needed. I agree that the flexible spot AF is pretty sweet but I sold all of my A mount stuff except my 70-200/2.8 when I got my A7 and A7r. The 55/1.8 is a gem. The 35/2.8 is very good for most. A 75-120/2 or 75-120/2.8 Macro with focus limit switch would be a sweet addition as well if IQ is close to the other FE primes.

rayyen

Charles, your pictures are awesome, hope I can visit Australia some day.
I like the last one of yours very much : )

jonoslack, thanks for your compliments, I love those shots very much too.

As said I carry 7R, WATE and a small tripod when I go trail running, here are some photos I've taken when I saw some beautiful places.

CharlesK

Thank you Raymond :) Australia is a harsh lighting photographic location. The lighting is rarely soft, whereas a lot of Asia, even mid morning has great lighting.

I agree, the A7r and WATE, size and weight is great!!

Another shot from the other morning. A7r WATE :)

philip_pj

I have the original CY 21/2.8, and am familiar with the WATE only from the terrific images and MTF. They are surprisingly similar, the kind of lenses that makers like Canon and Nikon would reject, most likely.

I think of these Distagons as very high impact lenses - photographic lenses - so if low/no distortion and antiseptic performance is desirable, look elsewhere! Canon's TSE series and the 14-24/2.8 Nikkor will suit that buyer class much better.

The WATE is better at wider FLs than at 21mm, has a little more vignetting at same apertures, so the 21/2.8 handily betters it in corners, in particular - at 21mm. Both have moustache distortion - love it or hate it, me I love it and seldom correct it, as corner definition matters more - but the WATE concentrates its heavy distortion at wider FLs, and by 21mm it's down to 1.5%, where the 21/2.8 has 2.5% with a bigger kick up at far corners. Both are super contrast, so the new high dynamic range sensors suit them to a T.

As with the new Distagon 15/2.8 (also a terrific lens) the 21/2.8 is excellent at the f2.8 stop the WATE cannot make. This is true particularly for the later 'warmed over' 21/2.8 in ZE/F form - Zeiss are now concentrating harder on both close focus and wider aperture performance than they formerly did. The Zeiss at f4 is substantially better everywhere in the frame than the WATE, with that biting micro-contrast the lens is famous for. It seems to tear away at the subject at times - the epitome of the Zeiss look. It's also a low 'focus mistake' lens because OOF is so well managed - just a whisker off infinity and it all looks fine.

The CY version is 530 grams; the ZF version is 600 grams, the ZE version is 720 grams; the WATE is a mere 335 grams, and much smaller and shorter. All this is important for the a7/r as you will be adding the adapter weight and bulk.

Note also that Zeiss will up the ante soon with new WAs, reportedly in 24/2 and 21/2.8 form, with the 24/2 first up:

Sony E and FE Lenses | Sans Mirror — mirrorless, interchangeable lens cameras | Thom Hogan

Their last three FF lenses in manual focus are the 135/2 APO Sonnar, the Distagon 15/2.8 and the Otus. What will they do for FE? Thousands will be watching. Especially Leica M folks ;-)

princepollux

The WATE indoors at the Venice Carnival. Works very well with the A7R, but I found out the hard way that the DoF scale is overly optimistic.

princepollux

Here is one taken outdoors. It was already cropped to 4x3, sorry. The lack of focal length metadata is a problem when attempting to correct distortion in ACR.