The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Playmemories Crabware

jfzander

I just wasted $4,99 on Sony Playmemories Smooth Reflections. This how Sony thinks a ND Filter would look like. Couldn't be more computer/artificial.

All the Playmemories software I bought so far is mediocre and it always misses the feature you would need. Time Laps will eat up your batteries and Smart Remote Control misses everything one would expect from a smart remote control like the Canon tc 80n3. No bracketing, no intervals no nothing. But hey, you get the image on your iPhone -what I do with it? Send it to Flickr? This is the Sony problem. People who buy Cameras like the A7r and invest some money in lenses and gear don't send photos to flickr. They are usually enthusiastic amateurs, who expect something.

Interval Photos, even better Intervall bracketing, is a must for a "Smart Remote Control". What Playmemories, even the name is embarrassing, delivers presently is far behind expectations.

Last edited:

Godfrey

Happily, I don't look at any of the "apps" they offer. I use the Playmemories Mobile app to download quickies to my iPad, and the Smart Remote Control app to do a simple remote with remote viewfinder very occasionally. (normally, I use an IR remote or a wired remote.)

The rest of this stuff I ignore. Never needed it before, don't need it now. :-|

G

chrisd

Before I got the A7r, my first camera with wifi and apps, I was so excited thinking about all the possibilities, but after going through the painful process of setting it up and trying it out I was so underwhelmed. At least airplane mode saves batteries.

jfzander

Actually, I think there is a lot of potential. Smart Remote Control is a good example. It could do just the same as Canon RS-80 N3, which is very handy. But they just don't get it. Instead of providing a flexible useful tool, they offer a gadget that just sucks batteries.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
The only program I use and can't even remember the name but its on my laptop for tethered shooting to the computer and use a Hot folder in C1. That actually works very well albeit a touch slow like 3 seconds but I'll take it. Don't care one lick about wireless or loading to iPhone stuff. I do wish one thing was a remote to control the camera instead of a wired shutter cable I have.

Also a little OT here but there sorely missing a off camera TTL cord for my flash the Sony 43. I was at BH yesterday and nothing to be found on that.