The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

On Camera Flash Recommendation for Sony A7?

jaree

Would appreciate any pointers for on-camera flash for the A7. To be used for portraits / fill-flash in sunlight. Metz, Sony, Yonghuo or some other brand?

-- R

Phottix Mitros+ looks good if you plan on a wireless setup down the road. fotografz hopefully will see this thread.

ZoranC

Can you do HSS? Looks like a great price.
From what I know you can do HSS with it and Canon/Nikon but I don't know about Sony, I haven't tried, using ND filter instead. If you shoot CheetahStand an e-mail they should be able to tell you.

douglaspboyd

Metz 20 C-2

I recommend the Metz 20 C-2 which is an inexpensive compact flash that uses the Auto-Thyristor exposure mode, not TTL. Therefore, the shutter lag is about 150 msec shorter than when Sony TTL flashes are used. I find shutter lag a huge problem with my A7r and using an auto flash solves part of this problem. With Sony TTL expect a lot of closed eyes and "sleepy" eyes, and expect to miss the peak action.
--Doug

fotografz

"On-camera" is the issue. All compatible speed-lights are way to big for this camera.

With the introduction of the A99, Sony abandoned the proprietary hot-shoe inherited from Minolta … so to use any speed-light or radio system that fit the previous cameras, you have to use an adapter. Sony provided one with the A99, but not with the A7/A7R. To avoid that, I had to buy a HVL-F60 for the A99

These adapters are a weak point between the camera and flash, and on the A7/A7R I'd say it's even weaker because of the top heavy nature of the flash to camera.

It isn't easy finding a small but powerful speed-light with swivel/bounce that could be used set to A or manual.

I'm currently using the older HVL F20M on my A7R for a puff of outdoor fill, but it is hardly a capable solution for much more, is difficult to modify, and requires the adapter.

Sony needs to address this in a swift manner IMO. Small, powerful and fully articulated … just like the camera.:clap:

For me it cripples the system for paid work.

- marc

douglaspboyd

"On-camera"
It isn't easy finding a small but powerful speed-light with swivel/bounce that could be used set to A or manual.

- marc
Marc,
See my comment above about Metz 20 C-2 which is small, powerful, with swivel/bounce, A-mode, and manual. The only thing missing is HSS.
==Doug

fotografz

This is GREAT news!

This i40 flash sounds perfect. It is half the weight and @ 85mm tall, under 2/3rds the height of the Sony 43.

What is especially impressive are the analog dial controls for functions, manual settings and TTL +/- compensation … Brilliant!

Metal hotshoe design … excellent!

Hope the Sony hotshoe is the newer one.

If it is … this is the answer I'm looking for … unless Sony wakes up and introduces one for their little cameras.

- Marc

From what I know you can do HSS with it and Canon/Nikon but I don't know about Sony, I haven't tried, using ND filter instead. If you shoot CheetahStand an e-mail they should be able to tell you.
Sent them a tweet no response, can you test hss please?

It looks like pixel kings will do hss wireless.

ZoranC

Sent them a tweet no response, can you test hss please?
I don't know how good they are with tweets but I know they are very good answering phone calls and e-mails, maybe you should try first calling them.

Unfortunately right now I am not in position to do testing.