The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony A77II who's ordering and why

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I'm off to almost a full week of shooting gigs but been seriously thinking about this to replace my A7 as my speed cam. Thing is I have mostly A lenses now. 20, sigma 35, 85 and 135 and I can see some real appeal in a 190mm 1.8 . I'm even thinking of grabbing a 16-35 A that I can use on both the A77 and the A7r. My feeling is use the A7r as my big gun and just use the Sony adapter and I can use all my lenses on both mounts.

So what are folks thinking, yea I wish it was full frame but even having one APS format may not be a bad thing . It needs to do ISO 3200 though. The A6000 sounds great but not enough horsepower for me in all categories and I'm afraid the A7s might be too expensive for what I want out of it. I'll wait till next announcement this week before I do anything but this is interesting

Professional

I will not order A77II but it is strongly on my RADAR.

Why i will buy this A77II, simply because it is APS with 24mp and 12fps and i am sure it is nice at high ISO, so technically or logically it beats my 1D2n or 1DIII, i will use A77II for sports and some wildlife/birds/actions if possible, just the only problem i must wait to see is the AF speed, if it is almost same as my Canon 1 series with say 300/400 primes + TC extender then i am in, i don't think it will be as fast as my 1DX or 1D3 AF speed with bare lens.

But why you people ordering those not released cameras if you are not sure about its full performance? I hate to order now and when i get it then it doesn't suit me then i return it, i don't have this ability in my region at all for pre-order and then return it if it didn't work for me.

So, you always pre-order one item, and when new items are announced then you canceled your pre-order to make another pre-order? What a lucky you have money to waste quickly.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I have not pre-ordered in several years and like you want to see some tests and images first. What has my interest is the 79 point AF zone it goes all the way out to the sides and on a vertical I can pin point someone's face better. Today the A 7 hits folks in the chest not the face . Now that is with A lenses and the adapter the native FE 70-200 will go out to the sides. I'm also looking for something that solves this issue as I do a lot of runway about 30k images per year so I need my AF points to be on the money and track effectively. I also need about a 300mm focal length which I can get in crop mode and even if its only 12mpx its good enough for selling images and I sell a ton of them so being dead on is the key. I have till July on this decision so I got some time to dissect this better. But I do not normally pre-order as I usually can get what I need fast enough. Then I got a gig this week a corporate event for 3 days , guess what there playing golf too. So again some of these things become critically important. I'm also in the mindset each cam has its purpose but if I can share lenses between 2 or 3 of them than its a much better setup for me.

Professional

Again lucky you.

Well, i have A7R, so the best compliment will be either A6000 or A77II, and i decided to go with A77-2 over A6000 even they both almost the same specifications with A77-II more improvements.

I also much care about AF tracking, i will use it for sports, and i do prefer crop because i always crop my sports shots, so with APC/S sensor it will be an advantage, and definitely with 24mp it will give me more room for cropping, my best Canon has 18mp so with cropping i may end up with 8-15mp, so hope with that new Sony i can crop up to 20mp or even 18mp.

I hope Sony can produce long teles lenses such as 300/400/500 so i will be on Sony side most of the time over my Canon gear, i will not give up my Canon yet, and my digital MF is dead as i don't have anything to shoot with it unless i can be rich like you and buy Phase One with tech cam then i will be alive again with MF, but for now Sony took my thinking and reading these days.

iiiNelson

Probably won't go A77mk2. I really liked the first one but size dictated I didn't use it enough to justify keeping so I sold it when I got the A7 and A7r. I still have the A mount 70-200/2.8 but it's a bit much for the A7 bodies even with the grip so I will probably sell or trade it for the FE version.