The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Wedding gear and tips

fotografz

I carry one in the camera and 3 extras in the bag for the A99. So far, I have never used more than two total for an 8 hour wedding. The A99 is one of three cameras I use at a wedding.

I generally do not use live-view on the A99 except for overhead shots or odd angle shots with the wonderfully articulated LCD (note that you can turn the LCD inward when transporting/storing to protect the screen surface from bumps and scratches).

I'm off to a wedding shoot in a couple of hours myself :)

- Marc

Rawfa

Slight change of plans. Instead of having the old timers Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 and Minolta 70-210mm f4 I´m planning to sell them both and get the new Sigma 24-105mm f4...plus the lenses I already have (Sigma 85mm 1.4, Sony 50mm 1.4, Pentax PK 35mm f2...might eventually get a faster 35mm and/or the new 24mm 1.4 Sigma is planning to release) and 2 flashes (F20M and F43M).

Last edited:

Rawfa

Guys, if you were to use 2 cameras during the ceremony, which lenses would you use in each camera?

fotografz

Depends on what part of the wedding I was shooting and what camera I chose to take at the time … but for the Sony A99/A7R kit this what I tend to use and when:

Ceremony: mid-zoom on one camera (24-70 or 24-105 type zoom) for processionals and wide shots of the venue, plus either a ZA85/1.4 or a ZA135/1.8 depending on how close I could get to the actual ceremony when flash is usually not allowed.

Portraits and formals: Probably the mid-zoom again for group shots (at 30 to 50ish focal lengths to avoid distortion of people at the edge of the group shot), and the 85/1.4 for bridal portraits.

Reception:
I prefer faster aperture lenses for indoor receptions even if I am using lighting, and usually work with a ZA24/2, 50/1.4 or 85/1.4.

In reality, 95% of a wedding could be done with 24-105, and in fact that is exactly what some pretty good wedding shooters use along with one fast lens like a 50/1.4 for low light ambient shots.

Hope this helps a little,

- Marc

Rawfa

Marc, that was very helpful. I would have guessed that the 35mm 1.4 would be among the go to lenses for when flashes are not allowed..

Oh, since then I've sold my A99 and got 2 A7's with LA-EA4's to make things easier.

fotografz

Marc, that was very helpful. I would have guessed that the 35mm 1.4 would be among the go to lenses for when flashes are not allowed..

Oh, since then I've sold my A99 and got 2 A7's with LA-EA4's to make things easier.
Yes, when I shot weddings with Canon gear, my most used primes were the 35/1.4L ad 85//1.2L.

While Sony offer a 35/1.4 it isn't a ZA and I have been hoping for one but it never came.

- Marc