The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony A7m

mmbma

All we need now, after the A7s, is the A7m! Give us a monochrom sensor version Sony!

Better yet, build it on the A7s sensor so we can retain the high ISO. Without bayer layer it can probably go even higher. I love the Monochrom for its high ISO and pure B&W. If Sony can give us a 12MP, 500k+, B&W only camera.....

probably won't cost them that much in R&D as most of this they already have

mjm6

I don't think it would need to be on the A7s sensor to maintain the very high speed capability, since you effectively gain 2 or so stops by removing the Bayer filter...

I'm with you, though. Give me an 'm' version of the 'r' (36MP), but do a few things...

1. Remove the Bayer filter (of course), or conversely, switch to a Fuji-style 'X-Trans' filter to increase speed, and then reduce the filter factors of the color patches to further increase speed and so that it can still be used to apply some B&W filtration capability to the image.
2. Increase the file bit depth to 16-bit. This is really important for toe and shoulder B&W work without causing banding.
3. Remove the file compression from the RAW files (but leave it as an option).
4. Tweak the interface with digital negative thinking in mind, make things work in a zone system kind of thinking better. Overlay histograms on the image in a non-intrusive manner would help this a lot. Give the user the ability to set highlight levels for warnings in a more clear and understood way.

Well, we can hope, anyway. I'd probably just be happy with a dedicated B&W sensor with nothing else changed.

iiiNelson

All we need now, after the A7s, is the A7m! Give us a monochrom sensor version Sony!

Better yet, build it on the A7s sensor so we can retain the high ISO. Without bayer layer it can probably go even higher. I love the Monochrom for its high ISO and pure B&W. If Sony can give us a 12MP, 500k+, B&W only camera.....

probably won't cost them that much in R&D as most of this they already have
I agree an A7m would be a welcomed addition but I hope they modify the A7 or A7r for it.

mmbma

The monochrome, achromatic+, 260 achro all proved that there is definitely a pro market for black and white only cameras, no matter the price. If Sony can bring one to the pro-sumer market, it could be huge.

iiiNelson

Yeah a A7 sans CFA at a price around $2K would be huge and all of those color cast issues with M lenses go away (even though it wouldn't help the smearing most likely.)

mmbma

Yeah a A7 sans CFA at a price around $2K would be huge and all of those color cast issues with M lenses go away (even though it wouldn't help the smearing most likely.)
I'm hoping, just hoping, that the Leica lens issues will go away with A7s. I think the pixel size will be more than 10um on the A7s. Uber fat pixels. should be kind to legacy lenses

iiiNelson

I'm hoping, just hoping, that the Leica lens issues will go away with A7s. I think the pixel size will be more than 10um on the A7s. Uber fat pixels. should be kind to legacy lenses
Maybe they will. Maybe they won't but if anything I will say that I've discovered many other great lenses for forgotten systems. I love my M lenses but the R versions are cheaper. The C/Y lenses are as high quality as the R lenses in many respects and pair well with native Zeiss FE lenses in look. The Zeiss Contax Planar 100/2 is pretty amazing even if a bit expensive but it's not replicated on any other system.