The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Whats wrong with the A7/R?

devtank

It is probably not for you - if you really like the Fujis and have no fewer than four candidates in mind.

The a7r holds up the mirror to: your shooting technique, your understanding of lenses, your preference for 'imaging over touch' - as Mel Snyder so eloquently put it.

A lot of people don't like what the mirror reveals - that's OK - quality never had much to do with the court of public opinion. It's not a hard camera to use - in fact it's a delight, but it is a connoisseur's camera - for people who don't mind what corkscrew they use to open the 30-year-old championship wine.

It's the results that count..and 10,000 a7r bodies on the used market won't reduce the quality of output one iota. Won't bother Sony either - they sold the bodies and the next guys will reap the rewards.

PS shutter shock - when I see fine detail in small objects 5 kms away in handheld shots, I smile wryly at that claim. Try before you buy!
"It is probably not for you" How do you come to that conclusion?

johnnygoesdigital

The a7 is the best full frame 35mm I've've used to date. The 55mm 1.8 is simply the best lens for what I need and AF is fast and accurate. It's been completely covered with snow and water and has the best OOC color I've seen from any camera I've owned, including MFD. Those who think it's shutter is noisy haven't used the Leica M9.
The A7 has some incredibly useful features and navigating the menus for me, is more intuitive than the D800 by far. The ability to use almost any lens is pretty cool too. When comparing a photo I took with the Hasselblad h4d and the sony a7, I liked the A7. The Sony truly is worth the price compared to all others. In regards to battery, the airplane mode setting is excellent for battery use. Perhaps go shoot the camera instead of basing any decision on a forum. Look at DXO's comparisons of sensors and lenses and you'll see this isn't just hype. I don't have the shutter lag either, just tap the shutter after an exposure and it's ready to shoot.

Last edited:

iiiNelson

The a7 is the best full frame 35mm I've've used to date. The 55mm 1.8 is simply the best lens for what I need and AF is fast and accurate. It's been completely covered with snow and water and has the best OOC color I've seen from any camera I've owned, including MFD. Those who think it's shutter is noisy haven't used the Leica M9.
The A7 has some incredibly useful features and navigating the menus for me, is much better than the D800. The ability to use almost any lens is pretty cool too. When comparing a photo I took with the Hasselblad h4d and the sony a7, I liked the A7. The Sony truly is worth the price compared to all others.
The shutter impulse of the A7 is clearly louder than the M9-P shutter but the recycling sound is of longer duration.

devtank

The shutter impulse of the A7 is clearly louder than the M9-P shutter but the recycling sound is of longer duration.
Thats one thing that bugs me and delights me about the Fuji shutters, I love the quietness, its so good to work with, but I also love the solid sensation of a responsive mechanical cycle. Its a silly argument!

devtank

The A7 has some incredibly useful features and navigating the menus for me, is more intuitive than the D800 by far. The ability to use almost any lens is pretty cool too. When comparing a photo I took with the Hasselblad h4d and the sony a7, I liked the A7. The Sony truly is worth the price compared to all others. In regards to battery, the airplane mode setting is excellent for battery use. Perhaps go shoot the camera instead of basing any decision on a forum. Look at DXO's comparisons of sensors and lenses and you'll see this isn't just hype. I don't have the shutter lag either, just tap the shutter after an exposure and it's ready to shoot.
I hadnt tried this lens, id tested with the 35 f2.5 (f2.5 or 8?), and was completely floored by the resolution from that lens.. Mind blowing.

iiiNelson

The 35/2.8 is good. The 55/1.8 is excellent. It's 95% of the Otus performance (widely regarded as the best 35mm 50-ish lens in terms of resolution) at 25% the cost.

iiiNelson

Thats one thing that bugs me and delights me about the Fuji shutters, I love the quietness, its so good to work with, but I also love the solid sensation of a responsive mechanical cycle. Its a silly argument!
The A7 and the A7r for that matter aren't nearly as bad as SOME will have you believe. It's not quiet by any means but it isn't as loud as the original NEX-5 or most MF cameras either. It is noticeably louder than most other mirrorless cameras but I will take the increased noise for the faster 1/8000 max shutter speed personally. The double click of the A7r is pretty distinct if you're going to take pictures in quiet settings but in most settings it would be any more discernible than most other cameras in normal ambient noise settings.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
You want quiet the A6000 is very quiet. But noise does not phase me at all, I'm paid to be there when I shoot so they know Im in the room. LOL

devtank

You want quiet the A6000 is very quiet. But noise does not phase me at all, I'm paid to be there when I shoot so they know Im in the room. LOL
That A6000 is a viable option for me. I think that focus tracking is very appealing, though I didnt know it was a quiet camera.

I was in Bombay last year shooting a story about a school for blind people, the place was a really dark shed about 160f degrees 95% humidity and completely silent in a tiny room of about 14 people including the crew, the noise from the Xpro shutter was a complete blessing because filming could continue without a hitch.

philip_pj

I've been wondering about sales of the a7/r series and the breakdown between the two models, but it seems sales data is a well-kept secret - too bad.

I did come across some info from Roger Cicala on rental volumes and found it interesting so will pass it on:

'rentals of both A7 and A7r have been strong. We rent more A7/A7r than all other Sony alpha and NEX cameras combined.
Last year micro 4/3 rentals were about double Sony rentals, this year they're about even largely because of the A7 increase.
Looked at another way, micro 4/3 bodies and A7/A7r rentals combined are about equal to all Nikon body rentals. Last year they were about 1/2 of Nikon rentals (some of that is because Nikon is down again this year, but mostly because m4/3 is up slightly and Sony up significantly). '

You would have to caution against using rental volume as a proxy for overall sales, but the level of interest appears to be strong, even in the notoriously conservative US market. Looks like they have arrived, and superior image quality matters to a lot of photographers. It might be better for them elsewhere, especially Asia.

Sony has already won the image quality battle and has the fundamentals in place, now for the refinements and system development and maturation to move closer to C/N who have had decades to perfect their systems - sales success is all about overcoming objections and countering reasons not to buy.

fotografz

Anecdotally, despite my efforts to dissuade him from such a radical move, I have yet another photo friend that has completely switched from his 35mm DSLR system to A7Rs.

Mind you, this was a die-in-the-wool Canon user for as long as I've known him. He is a semi-professional photographer that works with models, does a lot of "composite digital illustrations" and shoots a ton of events and a fair amount of weddings. He just bought his second A7R bundle with Sony flash.

He spends zero time on forums.

So, there may be more converts than we think.

- Marc

biglouis

I am pleased to see so many used A7r's on the market. I'm sorely tempted to have one in addition to my A7. Great camera.

LouisB

Viramati

I'm with Louis but would be after a 2nd A7 but will probably hold out to see what the A7s is like. So I'm happy as hell if prices keep dropping

Uaiomex

Hi Guy, I have a Nex 6 and I could not call the (EFC on) shutter quiet, much less very quiet.
Is the A6000 quieter indeed?
Thanks
Eduardo

Guy Mancuso

Quiet to me but I'm not sensitive to camera noise.

Okay two things I would like to have in the Fn menu. 1 the ability to turn live view effect on//0ff. When using strobes and on camera flash you really need to have the ability to turn it off. 2 jumping into APC mode would be really handy. Okay 3 and this is the biggy turning playback review on/off. You just can't shoot at speed with review on.

Outside some of these firmware fixes than I find nothing wrong with the A7/r coming from a Pros perspective.

philip_pj

I hope Sony reads your suggestions, Guy, as this is exactly what they need to hear. They need some layering of options based on real world usage - not just throwing all the good and weird stuff equally at custom buttons.

IT guys don't understand the mistake of putting 'might' on 'will' - meaning if you know users WILL need something 99% of the time don't treat that option the same as something users MIGHT use 1% of the time - make the 99% thing much more available and easier to reach.

To mathematical guys like computer nerds, both are equally likely. Interface development is an art informed by solid usability feedback. It's a power struggle, hence all the 'dumb user' books and RTFM - developers want to blame the user for their own mistakes.

Guy Mancuso

The real effective menu setup is to set it and forget it. You should never have to go in there for items that have shooting value to the photographer. They put in a great tool like the Fn button which should give the user every trick in the book too customize to taste. This is where they fall short. You have 12 actions you can do but they leave out 3 or 4 very important ones. That should not be the case, give us all the options to choose what works effectively to the user. Especially with such a big menu system that takes time to get to the three I mentioned. It's frustrating sometimes

iiiNelson

I hope Sony reads your suggestions, Guy, as this is exactly what they need to hear. They need some layering of options based on real world usage - not just throwing all the good and weird stuff equally at custom buttons.

IT guys don't understand the mistake of putting 'might' on 'will' - meaning if you know users WILL need something 99% of the time don't treat that option the same as something users MIGHT use 1% of the time - make the 99% thing much more available and easier to reach.

To mathematical guys like computer nerds, both are equally likely. Interface development is an art informed by solid usability feedback. It's a power struggle, hence all the 'dumb user' books and RTFM - developers want to blame the user for their own mistakes.
I think that's the nature of engineers v. operators. Story of my life it seems...