The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

I need an A7R WA solution NOW

dwood

Ideally, I'd like a great WA prime to show up in FE mount, but not hearing much on that front lately. I had high hopes of seeing what the announced (well, kind of announced) FE 16-35/f4 was gonna look like, but news of that seems to have faded as well. Right now, it's a timing issue for me. I don't want to go through the summer months without a good WA. I have the FE 24-70/f4, but the 24mm part of that lens is not stellar. I'm thinking something between 21 and 25mm.

So, the lenses I've been trying to learn about/see image examples of, include the Zeiss Distagon 21/f2, ZA 24/f2, Zeiss Distagon 25/f2 and Voigtlander Ultron 21/1.8. At the end of the day, I suspect I'd be pretty darn happy with any of these, but for any of you that own/have owned any of these, I'd love your thoughts on the pros/cons front. AND, what adapters are you using?

-Doug

Don Libby

Have you looked into the Rokinon FE 14mm? It's a bit on the large side however I've had one for several months and like the results. The price wasn't bad either at around $4r30 if I remember. I think I posted a couple samples here somewhere...

Don

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I have the Zeiss 25mm F2 in Canon mount with metabones III adapter that i just recently bought brand new at Calumet. Its a fabulous lens but I think I am going to sell it for the Sony ZA 24mm F2 used and pick up a A6000 also if I can pull it off. Okay reason i am thinking of selling is I am loaded with A lenses right now 20mm, 35 Sigma, 85 1.4 and 135 1.8 all A mounts. I only have the 55 1.8 and 28-70 zoom in FE. My thinking is I may go for a A77II or I may not and in that case my Zeiss won't work in A mount. Im trying to stay with the A mount for awhile until I decide if the FE is it or a A body is it so in the meantime i am trying to go all A mount. Seriously the Zeiss is brand new just used it once and need it the next two days for a shoot but can ship it out Friday. You want it or anyone else with the Metabones III adapter box and paperwork I will let them both go for 1750 shipped. I even have the receipt . I bought it February 14th.

Let me know Im off to go play golf. I need a recreation afternoon. Been busy

iiiNelson

I use the Voigtlander adapter with a 21/1.8 Ultron. It's okay but IMO I'd choose a different 21 for the A7 or A7r if I didn't already own it.

The Zeiss Contax 18/21/25, ZE, ZF.2, and Sony 24/2 all appear to be better performing lenses on the A7 series for adapting non-native if you need an UWA.

Guy Mancuso

Just FYI the Zeiss 25mm F2 is the newest design and is far better than the 18mm and i think better than the 21mm Zeiss. MTFs are slightly higher than the Sony 24mm F2 in the center. I have had them all and this is by far the best of the lot. I may sacrifice slightly by getting the Sony but I can have more flexibility in the long run. Seriously this one is tough for me to do is sell it. I know how good it is, the Sony I am not sure yet.

dwood

Have you looked into the Rokinon FE 14mm? It's a bit on the large side however I've had one for several months and like the results. The price wasn't bad either at around $4r30 if I remember. I think I posted a couple samples here somewhere...

Don
Hi Don - I have the Samyang badged versions of this that I used on my a99 a few times (both for sale now). It's a pretty cool lens but quickly realized that I don't often shoot ultra-wide, so it's going.

Don Libby

The Rokinon is a very nice lens and I'm glad its in my bag. I too don't shoot that wide although at the price I couldn't pass it up (besides I was looking for something that would be close to the Touit 12mm on the NEX-7 IR). I'm in the process of deciding on picking up a 24-70 for the new 7r IR and selling my 35 and 55 to finance it.

Best of luck

Don

dwood

I have the Zeiss 25mm F2 in Canon mount with metabones III adapter that i just recently bought brand new at Calumet. Its a fabulous lens but I think I am going to sell it for the Sony ZA 24mm F2 used and pick up a A6000 also if I can pull it off. Okay reason i am thinking of selling is I am loaded with A lenses right now 20mm, 35 Sigma, 85 1.4 and 135 1.8 all A mounts. I only have the 55 1.8 and 28-70 zoom in FE. My thinking is I may go for a A77II or I may not and in that case my Zeiss won't work in A mount. Im trying to stay with the A mount for awhile until I decide if the FE is it or a A body is it so in the meantime i am trying to go all A mount. Seriously the Zeiss is brand new just used it once and need it the next two days for a shoot but can ship it out Friday. You want it or anyone else with the Metabones III adapter box and paperwork I will let them both go for 1750 shipped. I even have the receipt . I bought it February 14th.

Let me know Im off to go play golf. I need a recreation afternoon. Been busy
The 25/f2 with adapter is tempting, and I'll certainly consider this. I know this lens has an excellent reputation. I've wondered what IQ differences, if any, might exist between the 25 and the ZA 24/F2. Sony has it on sale right now for $1.3k, and I've seen used ones pop up for ~ $1k. The AF on the ZA might not be bad to have on occasion, but manual is fine by me too. Fore!

Ben Rubinstein

Canon just announced a 16-35L f4 IS with apparently very good MTF's. I'm going to wait for the inevitable side by side with the Sony FE 16-35 f4. I'm hoping it's a good fight.

dwood

Canon just announced a 16-35L f4 IS with apparently very good MTF's. I'm going to wait for the inevitable side by side with the Sony FE 16-35 f4. I'm hoping it's a good fight.
Saw this too and looks like it may be available in June. Bummed that the FE 16-35 has seemingly disappeared from the radar.

D

Deleted member 7792

I've tried the Zeiss 25mm f/2 ZE (for Canon) with the Metabones III adapter and actually prefer the FE 24-70mm. No doubt the Zeiss 25mm is a stellar prime, but the convenience and size of the FE zoom has relegated the Zeiss to the shelf. I have an excellent copy of the FE 24-70 and primarily do landscape shooting, so I'm not bothered by the distortion at 24-25mm. I'm selling my Zeiss 25mm on FM right now. YMMV.

Joe

P.S. And I've got a Leica WATE. :D

Last edited by a moderator:

dwood

I've tried the Zeiss 25mm f/2 ZE (for Canon) with the Metabones III adapter and actually prefer the FE 24-70mm. No doubt the Zeiss 25mm is a stellar prime, but the convenience and size of the FE zoom has relegated the Zeiss to the shelf. I have an excellent copy of the FE 24-70 and primarily do landscape shooting, so I'm not bothered by the distortion at 24-25mm. I'm selling my Zeiss 25mm on FM right now. YMMV.

Joe

P.S. And I've got a Leica WATE. :D
Would kill to have the WATE, but that's too rich for me. I've been getting good results from the FE 24-70, but not thrilled at 24mm. Clearly, you must have a better copy than me, Joe.

Godfrey

I'm happy enough with the Elmarit-R 19mm f/2.8 and Nikkor 18mm f/3.5 AI-S. Both do a fine job, although neither is "perfection perfected."

G

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
You could also save yourself a ton of cash and pickup a Canon 20mm f/2.8 FD lens for a couple hundred bucks. Beautiful on the A7R.

dwood

You could also save yourself a ton of cash and pickup a Canon 20mm f/2.8 FD lens for a couple hundred bucks. Beautiful on the A7R.
Did a bit of an about face tonight and decided to carry on with the 24mm side of my FE 24-70 and see if anything happens soon with the FE 16-35. I don't know anything about this Canon 20mm, Chuck, but you have my attention. If you have any images you'd like to share, that would be great!

iiiNelson

I think I've come to a decision and will probably sell my 24-70FE for a 35FE then just wait on the 16-35FE. I have a feeling it will be a better WA solution for me.

Guy Mancuso

Problem is that 16-35 might be a long wait for one and have we heard anything more about it. My guess we won't see this until at least September with Photokinia. I can't wait that long myself and once again its F4 which is really slow in low light places. Agree it might be nice but I'm not going to wait and at 16mm it won't be very good is my guess.

Guy Mancuso

My point is I'm not betting on it just like the 24-70 which I purposely put a hood on it that vignettes at 24mm so I would not shoot there. Nice trick and it works but I hate not using all of a zoom.

This is exactly why I just saved my money and repurchased the 28-70 kit lens and only use it on the A7 since it works at 28mm pretty well.

f64

If you don't need AF, a Nikon 17-35/2.8 with a busted AF motor (quite common) could be a good solution. Bought mine for about 350 euro and I use it on an A7. I like it very much.
Far from light and unobtrusive, though.