The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

I need an A7R WA solution NOW

ThomasZ

I must agree to Stefan - the Nikkor 14-24 is the one to beat here. It is easily as good as any prime. Look at this link, it can't even be beaten by the mighty Zeiss 15mm F2.8.

Unfortunately, it is such a massive thing. I have the Novoflex adapter and it looks so stupid when mounted to the A7r. And the Nikkor is a G-lens, that means it has no aperture ring. You have to set the aperture at the Novoflex adapter. That works somehow, but you have to guess at which aperture you are.

I would love to see a comparison between the Nikkor 14-24 and the WATE. If the WATE would deliver this kind of performance, I will probably buy it, regardless of the 5000€ price tag here in Germany.

Stefan Steib

Hi Stefan,
Is this adaptor sold with the tripod mount?
Does it allow to rotate the body only? ex: if i shoot in portait mode with say 0,5mm shift rise and 1°tilt, can i just rotate the body to shoot in landscape mode and keep all the shift+tilt in the same position ?

If yes i' d like to buy one of this tilt/shift adapter , please let me know how to proceed.
Sincerely
David
David - the version you see on the photo can rotate the camera 360 degrees the lens stands still, the shift is horizontal with that foot. to get vertical shift you need to either take if off the foot and mount the camera or move the tripod head 90 degrees sidewards.

But.... we are working on a fully rotational version. Soon...!

Greetings from Germany
Stefan

arize84

I have doing pretty well with the Minolta 20 2.8 (same design as sony version). It's still relatively compact even with the LAEA4 adapter. Will hold on to it until the wide angle FE zoom is released.

dandrewk

How odd that SAR reported the rumor of an incoming FE16-35mm about a month ago. There have been two subsequent Sony product announcements, and still no sign of this lens.

The FE lens roadmap indicates two lenses being released this summer. I'm hoping that doesn't stretch all the way to Photokina.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
No question it will why I'm not banking on it yet. No pre orders means its a long wait. My guess end of year. When its out and some tests on it than I will think about it until than I'm going with my plan. Whatever the heck that is but waiting is not in my plans. I need to eat just like other Pros.

Let me take you back a moment. It took almost 3 years to see a full set of Leica S lenses. Okay Leica is slow as hell but even cutting that in Sony time like half than its a 1.5 and frankly you look at the roadmap and that's about exactly what it is. We all know Sony is on a warpath and that's awesome for us but they put out another lens like the 24-70 that distorts like a Samyang 14mm than there not going to last long in the upper levels of shooters. It's that simple we will not tolerate it and move on. They want to grow in the market than it needs quality products and that takes time.

Guy Mancuso

I should add here they are doing a remarkable job of it too. But you can't produce miracles everyday either.

Guy Mancuso

They have but a full set is not for awhile yet. Still no word on any fast primes. No primes leaves me dead cold in the water. I would love to replace my 85 and 135 A glass and so would many. There is not even a good rumor on that. Yes they have done well and they are doing a good job but I'm not talking about ones or twoseies but a whole system. That takes time and it's the same exact case as Leica S all new mount to bring to market. Sony has been far faster at it but waiting months for a 16-35 is not in the cards for some. I need to shoot today so you need alternate plans until it hits market. Some can wait it out. To me its like holding your bowels you gotta do something soon. Lol

Godfrey

In the frighteningly little free time I've had lately, I did a more specific test comparing the performance of the Nikkor 18mm f/3.5 AI-S and Elmarit-R 19mm f/2.8 v1. The question to myself was "Was the Leica 19mm worth almost three times the price of the Nikon 18mm?"

The result is an unequivocal "probably." ]'-)

The Nikkor is a little sharper on center wide open to my eye. The Elmarit-R is always sharper at the edges/corners, even wide open. Both need to be stopped down a couple of stops to reduce corner/edge darkening and hit their stride between f/8 and f/11. The Elmarit become very sharp on center at f/5.6, and continues to excel across the field. The Nikkor's corners improve with every stop down, but even at f/11-f/16, the Elmarit 19 remains slightly sharper and shows less lateral CA than the Nikkor can achieve.

By f/8-f/11, the Nikkor illuminates across the field pretty evenly. The Elmarit, however, shows signs of small amount of real vignetting (actual shading at the absolute corners all the way to fully stopped down. Perhaps it's the lens hood, perhaps it's the Novoflex adapter. I'll have to test it on film with a Leicaflex body to see if it does it there too.

By and large, they both do a good job and both work best around f/11, plus or minus. The Elmarit's corner vignetting is to me less of an issue than the Nikkor's softer corners. But then the Nikkor is a bit smaller, lighter, and easier to handle.

Both are good enough for my needs, as I've said before. I'm usually not so focused on absolute edge qualities for the kinds of photos I make, and a little softness or a bit of vignetting is not a deal buster.

G