The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7s full electronic shutter

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Okay now we know what the A8 series just might be. Give me this and 179 AF points with 36mpx or better and I'll wet my pants...

This is what we should of had all along. There is no reason for anything else being mirror less

sonyalpharumors

D

Deleted member 7792

Agreed. The speculation will be whether this can be retrofitted into the a7/a7R. While I'd welcome that change, the likelihood of it happening is close to zero. Improvements like this will be a part of the marketing campaign for the a8/a8R as you've suggested.

Joe

Agreed. The speculation will be whether this can be retrofitted into the a7/a7R. While I'd welcome that change, the likelihood of it happening is close to zero. Improvements like this will be a part of the marketing campaign for the a8/a8R as you've suggested.

Joe
Cameras these days, especially mirrorless types in the sub-$3000 market, are outing new models every year or other year like most compact electronics. It would of course be a nice service to let existing owners upgrade features like this, but in reality, just releasing an updated product for people to buy is the norm now. Somehow I don't expect the a7/a7R sensors to allow for this functionality since it has to be part of the sensor design, if the D800 or A99 didn't have electronic shutters, it doesn't seem reasonable to expect that these sensors will.

I think Sony will at least hint at an a7II series by the end of this year or start of next year.

peterv

Photokina is four months away. Big chance Sony will come with a new generation FF E-Mount cameras.
That said, I like the 7s more and more.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Photokina is four months away. Big chance Sony will come with a new generation FF E-Mount cameras.
That said, I like the 7s more and more.
My bet your on the money. Great announcement for Sony

Oh and a new check box just hit the A7s for end users.

Uaiomex

Could this be true? If this camera has an AF system good enough to compete in low light with my 6D (not the best tho), it means the planets are aligning!
And that the guy writing this, effectively became a hard core Sony fanboy.
Eduardo

philber

Cameras these days, especially mirrorless types in the sub-$3000 market, are outing new models every year or other year like most compact electronics..
What you write is correct, but at the same time, FF cameras (meaning DSLRs and rangefinders) have only been updated every 3+ years.
So the question is: are the RX1/A7/A7R mirrorless cameras, or are they FF cameras? The jury is still out, but my guess is that, as long as they remain entirely without competition in the FF mirrorless space, their upgrade path might be less rapid than what you forecast. Just a guess, though...

ZoranC

So the question is: are the RX1/A7/A7R mirrorless cameras, or are they FF cameras? The jury is still out, but my guess is that, as long as they remain entirely without competition in the FF mirrorless space, their upgrade path might be less rapid than what you forecast.
Sony is not right now in financial position where they can afford long release cycles.

Stefan Steib

What you write is correct, but at the same time, FF cameras (meaning DSLRs and rangefinders) have only been updated every 3+ years.
Don´t forget - Sony is an electronics consumer company in the first place.
Take a look at their mobile phones. Some of these get new models every 6 months ! Did you see the analysis of the interns of the A7 on lensrentals teardown ? This is a camera which is built like todays highest efficient electronics devices !

LensRentals.com - The A7R teardown: A look inside Sony’s awesome full-frame mirrorless camera

I think Canon and Nikon have met a new breed of competition here.
And if I can take a bet who will win this showdown , I have a sure favourite......

Greetings from Germany
Stefan

philip_pj

The latest rumour will warm the cockles of many A mount users' hearts: a99 to be discontinued in summer.

Sony's finances need plenty of unpacking but look pretty good for cameras:
'That said the Imaging Division is doing good. The overall sales decreased 2.0% year-on-year but Sony managed to increase the net income which is writing black numbers. Sony says:
'This decrease was primarily due to a significant decrease in unit sales of compact digital cameras and video cameras reflecting a contraction of these markets. And sales increased primarily due to the favorable impact of foreign exchange rates as well as an *increase in unit sales of interchangeable single-lens cameras.*'

Any guesses what camera series that might be?

Sony have too much tech becoming market-ready not to release it - this is how such a company succeeds. They are active top to bottom: MF sensors down to RX-1003 with a fast nine asph element lens on it. Innovate, then improve in rapid cycles. People will acclimatise in time to the Sony way of doing things.

philip_pj

"Today, Sony confirmed a rumour – no doubt started as a result of pre-production tester leaks – that the A7S would have a completely silent all-electronic shutter mode. It’s completely free of all mechanical action and totally silent.

The silent shutter has been implemented as a firmware upgrade to the early production samples and future stocks, along with several other important firmware enhancements – all of which will have Sony owners wondering why improvements to their six-month old or one-year old purchases are not equally forthcoming. These are however improvements to a £2,100 camera body which will not hit the shops until the end of July 2014.

The firmware fixes and upgrades are:
α7S now offers a ‘Silent Shooting’ mode
ISO range for Movie Shooting extended to ISO100 – 102400, expandable to ISO100 – 409600
Dynamic Range extended to 15.3 stops as sensor RAW output

Sony A7S gets silent shutter upgrade | Photoclubalpha

philip_pj

"Today, Sony confirmed a rumour – no doubt started as a result of pre-production tester leaks – that the A7S would have a completely silent all-electronic shutter mode. It’s completely free of all mechanical action and totally silent.

The silent shutter has been implemented as a firmware upgrade to the early production samples and future stocks, along with several other important firmware enhancements – all of which will have Sony owners wondering why improvements to their six-month old or one-year old purchases are not equally forthcoming. These are however improvements to a £2,100 camera body which will not hit the shops until the end of July 2014.

The firmware fixes and upgrades are:
α7S now offers a ‘Silent Shooting’ mode
ISO range for Movie Shooting extended to ISO100 – 102400, expandable to ISO100 – 409600
Dynamic Range extended to 15.3 stops as sensor RAW output

Sony A7S gets silent shutter upgrade | Photoclubalpha

Paul2660

I would hope they have some awesome DR, with a full frame sensor @ 12MP. No doubt the world of video will never be the same.

Still not sure if same shutter would work on current A7r due to sensor. As Guy mentions, next gen, either 35mm or MF sized could get very interesting, and you can expect to see it in September at Photokina.

Paul