The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

ND filter

dwood

I used a B+W 10-stop ND filter on my a99 ZA 24-70 and recently picked up one for my A7R FE 24-70. I haven't done a ton of long exposure work in the past, but plan on doing more going forward. I've decided that I'm done with these screw-in filters. So, I'm thinking Lee Big Stopper, or similar type of arrangement. Anything you folks like that I should check out?

mjm6

Lots of debate over what is a good ND filter when you get up to that high of a filter factor.

Some have massive IR leakage which turns the shadows magenta, and makes it hard to color balance.

Others appear to be less neutral, but once color balanced, seem to work better then the ones with the IR leakage.

I don't believe that there is any real universalities that you can apply, as it doe appear to somewhat depend on the camera's sensitivity to IR.

Look here:

The JT Signature Edition Kit - Formatt-Hitech ProStop IRND filters BWVISION – Black and White fine art photography and long exposure photography

for a comparison with the Lee product. Not saying the Hitech is better, but there is some information out there.

Of course, for every opinion, you can find another that disagrees:

Lee Big Stopper and Hitech Pro-Stop ND filter review

---Michael

johnnygoesdigital

I use both because I had the Lee when I owned a D800 and H4D/40. The Lee is easier with optical viewfinders. You just compose then slide into place, but the screw in filters work great with the A7/r because in most cases the image can be previewed in the EVF. Make sure to block the viewfinder before long exposures or you'll get color shifts and stray light.

dwood

I use both because I had the Lee when I owned a D800 and H4D/40. The Lee is easier with optical viewfinders. You just compose then slide into place, but the screw in filters work great with the A7/r because in most cases the image can be previewed in the EVF. Make sure to block the viewfinder before long exposures or you'll get color shifts and stray light.
I'm just tired of the fiddly nature of the screw-in filters. Maybe it's just me, but I always have problems getting them 'started', and it gets on my nerves. After a little more research, I'm gonna give the Lee system a go and see how that works out.

Georg Baumann

Subscriber Member
I feel your pain LOL... I can not tell you how often I was cursing like a docker because of that circ.pol. screwed onto the 10ND did not come off again. Only with rubber gloves and the utmost patience I managed to get them unscrewed, eventually. These slimlines can be a pain in the butt, but hey they are top notch quality. No idea about the slot in filters and the quality of the glass.

KiboOst

I've lately done many long exposure shots with A7R and lee filters on Canon lenses. Work a treat ! I staked them all the time, big stopper and one 0.6 or 0.9. Result is razor sharp, and WB is a little blueish but easily corrected in raw and Lightroom.
I used screw filter years ago (BW ND1000) and lee filters are really, really better in the field, not even in the same league. Sure it has a cost, you have more stuff to carry and pay care to, but I would not use anything else !

I've set C1 to manual BULB, so I frame and measure light in Av, switch to C1 and put filter holder and shoot with remote. Check this also : https://itunes.apple.com/fr/app/ndcalc2/id822835884?mt=8

A7R, 24-70II, Lee big-stopper + 0.6, around 90sec exposure

All 2014 shots here done with same setup (some with 70-200II or 17-40) :
Collection Cesure, N.Genette