The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7 - AF/MF focus assist off?

Rawfa

Hi guys,

I find the AF/MF button very useful when I'm shooting with automatic e-mount glass and all of the sudden I have to switch to manual focus, but I don't want it to automatically magnify the image to assist me focus (otherwise I cannot frame....plus I've assigned the focus assist button to another button). Is there a way to turn this off?

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Yes you can turn it off in the menus. Can't remember what tab but look for magnify focus assist I believe. Mine is off, it bugged me.

Guy Mancuso

I use the camera mostly in manual mode. But the center rear button throws it into AF which is very handy. I use C1 to zoom.

I would have to give you my exact settings to do it this way as you need to turn something's off and some on I'm off to play golf though . If someone does not help I'll be back later. I got this system down to only having to into the menus for two or three things. One is crop mode, format, turn review off and on. Otherwise I have the Fn section loaded with all twelve options. I use the Fn button a lot. I also turned OFF the dial rotation for ISO as I kept switching ISO sometimes on playback. So I eliminated that hazard as others have done as well. My A7, A7r are identical in settings and my A6000 mirrors it almost exactly. This way I get out of my own way. Lol

Guy Mancuso

Damnit I been sitting around getting ready to go and got a itch. Bought a 24mm F2 . Need to go play golf its safe out there. Lol

D&A

Damnit I been sitting around getting ready to go and got a itch. Bought a 24mm F2 . Need to go play golf its safe out there. Lol
That's quite an expensive itch! :ROTFL:. It used to be safe out there, not any more since the advent of cell phones. One can get an another itch on the golf course and all it takes is a quick call to B&H (or whatever is your favorite vendor might be at the time)...LOL!

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

I know they do. I put my phone in my bag when I'm golfing. Just got home. But I certainly can find trouble anywhere. Lol

I was planning on getting it anyway than thought three other alternate routes than went back to my plan. My plan is as fluid as Sony these days. There getting harder to keep up with and that's not good for my wallet. But they are getting better at it and I'm really liking this system. My issue is I hate buying lenses for only 1 mount when I plan on having 3. But I'm finally getting to 2 distinct totally different tools that share in the same glass and that's the end goal. One more purchase should do it too. Just need to sell the A7 and 28-70.

D&A

I One more purchase should do it too.
Famous last words. If I had a dollar for every time you said "one more purchase and I'm done", I'd be well on the road to purchasing a Leica S and full complement of lenses...with change left over. Come to think of it, I've probably expressed these very same words as many times as you...:ROTFL:

Dave (D&A)