The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Ballhead recommendation for the A7

VINCET

I just got a Gitzo FT1542T to use with my Sony A7 and is looking for a good ballhead. Any recommendation? My longest lens so far is a Leica 180mm Elmarit E67 f2.8. I might get a LA-EA4 and use this with a sony 70-200 f2.8 but that is probably the heaviest I would go.

There seems to be quite a few options out there. From what I gather, stay away from the Gitzo ballhead. FLM, Leica, Arca Swiss Monoball, RRS, Markins, and Novoflex seems to have good reviews but which one? I also probably don't need too big a setup as I like to use this for travel.

Thanks for any advise.

Vince

D

Deleted member 7792

Vince, I have both the RRS BH-40 and BH-55. I would recommend either or both. They're solid, well made and easy to adjust. If you opt for any of the RRS ballheads, I'd also recommend getting the lever release option (LR suffix). With the BH-55, you can cover all your bases. The BH-40 is the smaller ballhead of these two and is great for travel when you're not packing longer lenses.

Joe

JoelM

I use the Novoflex mini Magicball. It will support to 11lbs according to the specs. I believe it to be very underrated and it is so easy to operate.

Joel

Godfrey

I'm using the Arca Swiss Monoball P0 with Manfrotto 190CFpro3 legs, fitted with an RRS lever action clamp for standard A-S plates. Best head I've owned...

My other two heads (Markins Q3 and Acratech Ultimate Ball Head) are very good, but not as good as this one.

G

VINCET

Guys, thanks for all the recommendation. The RRS BH-30 to 55, the Markins Q3, Novoflex and AS Monoball were all what I thought were the front runner and I guess I was right based on the feedback so far. I guess I need to head down to a local shop to see the actual thing before buying. I don't expect to use it with super heavy setup so might opt for the something lighter. I am leaning more towards the RRS BH-40 right now.

I am surprise that no one recommended the FLM or the Leica ballhead.

k-hawinkler

Guys, thanks for all the recommendation. The RRS BH-30 to 55, the Markins Q3, Novoflex and AS Monoball were all what I thought were the front runner and I guess I was right based on the feedback so far. I guess I need to head down to a local shop to see the actual thing before buying. I don't expect to use it with super heavy setup so might opt for the something lighter. I am leaning more towards the RRS BH-40 right now.

I am surprise that no one recommended the FLM or the Leica ballhead.

I got the RRS BH-30 on the Gitzo Traveler, and the BH-55 on a heavier Gitzo tripod. Works for me.

segedi

I really like my Acratech GP. And they have a smaller, lighter version:
Acratech GPSS

Works great as a ballhead, pretty nice as a gimbal, and you can make a leveling base out of it by swapping things around. And that works quite nicely too. Their customer support is awesome as well.

I'm intrigued though by the FLM with the tilt lock feature, ballhead with nicer abilities for video and smooth vert pans.

Professional

I have RRS-BH55 and Markins Q3T with RRS lever clamp, i used that Markins on my Gitzo tripods of series 1 traveller and series 2, but i felt they are not steady combo, so i bought series 3 and 5 to be my ultimate tripods, so when i travel i take Gitzo series 3 with RRS-BH55.

I also feel that RRS-BH55 is too much, overkill and heavy for travel if i will use my A7R, so i am not sure if i should go with RRH-40 or 30 if i will use series 3 tripod.

nsng

I have the older Gitzo 1540T and I am using the Markins Q3 Traveller. No issue with this set-up using my M240 or A7r with the1 80 Apo-Elmarit.

N S Ng

k-hawinkler

I have RRS-BH55 and Markins Q3T with RRS lever clamp, i used that Markins on my Gitzo tripods of series 1 traveller and series 2, but i felt they are not steady combo, so i bought series 3 and 5 to be my ultimate tripods, so when i travel i take Gitzo series 3 with RRS-BH55.

I also feel that RRS-BH55 is too much, overkill and heavy for travel if i will use my A7R, so i am not sure if i should go with RRH-40 or 30 if i will use series 3 tripod.

I use the RRS BH-55 on the GT3541XLS and the BH-30 on the Gitzo Traveler. The BH-30 seems to me to be a mismatch on a Gitzo series 3. A better fit for a Gitzo series 3 seems to be the BH-40. But to travel lighter the Traveler with BH-30 can certainly handle my A7R with wide to short tele lenses. For longer lenses the BH-40 on a Gitzo series 3 is definitely better. For my Leica R lenses 280/4 or 105-280/4.2 i definiely would use the BH-55.

Professional

I use the RRS BH-55 on the GT3541XLS and the BH-30 on the Gitzo Traveler. The BH-30 seems to me to be a mismatch on a Gitzo series 3. A better fit for a Gitzo series 3 seems to be the BH-40. But to travel lighter the Traveler with BH-30 can certainly handle my A7R with wide to short tele lenses. For longer lenses the BH-40 on a Gitzo series 3 is definitely better. For my Leica R lenses 280/4 or 105-280/4.2 i definiely would use the BH-55.
I will travel with A7R for sure and it will be my main camera for landscapes, but i will carry also my Canon 1DX, Canon 1 series are always heavy, and pairing that with some Canon L lenses will give it heavy gear, so i will not travel with 2 tripods and i don't want to depend on Gitzo series 1 traveller tripod for my Canon gear.

Maybe i have to look back on BH-40, it sounds a great fit for series 3 and i am sure it will handle Sony and Canon bodies with different lenses weights up to 70-200/100-400L.

k-hawinkler

I will travel with A7R for sure and it will be my main camera for landscapes, but i will carry also my Canon 1DX, Canon 1 series are always heavy, and pairing that with some Canon L lenses will give it heavy gear, so i will not travel with 2 tripods and i don't want to depend on Gitzo series 1 traveller tripod for my Canon gear.

Maybe i have to look back on BH-40, it sounds a great fit for series 3 and i am sure it will handle Sony and Canon bodies with different lenses weights up to 70-200/100-400L.

It should, I agree.

VINCET

Are there any FLM users here? The spec looks very interesting and they also are great looking. From the review, it also sounded like they are well crafted.