The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7r: wifi upload crashes camera

ThomasZ

Hi,

I've tried the wifi image transfer to my Mac. You have to download Sonys wireless auto import tool (v1.2), do some initial setup and then you can send your files from the A7 menu to your Mac.

That works! After doing some transfers I thought that the Sony engineers have even been so clever to shut off the A7 after the file transfer. Wow!
Unfortunately, that was a little misconception. The camera is not really shut off - in reality it's crashed and completely unresponsive. Sometimes shuttting off/on doesn't bring it back to life, I had to remove the battery to reset the A7r.

Hm :)

Has someone tried this? Maybe I'm doing something wrong...

Godfrey

I've used the wifi transfers only with iPad and iPhone. No problems, other than a clumsy connect setup. So far the A7 refuses to connect to my wifi network for access to OS X, so I just use the card reader built into my Mac mini.

G

scho

I've been using wifi transfer with my A7r and A6000 to my MBA w/o problems. The cameras do go into some sort of limbo state after transfer, but I just shut it off and then on again w/o any problems. Using latest version of auto wireless import and OS 10.9.3. My only problem is trying to get this working with LR auto import. LR auto import does not see images in sub folders and unfortunately Sony wireless import always dumps files into a date labelled folder that is created on import inside your specified upload folder. Any work arounds?

Last edited:

Shac

Try taking the battery out for a few seconds and if that doesn't work take it out for about 5 minutes - this might work

Godfrey

I've been using wifi transfer with my A7r and A6000 to my MBA w/o problems. The cameras do go into some sort of limbo state after transfer, but I just shut it off and then on again w/o any problems. Using latest version of auto wireless import and OS 10.9.3. My only problem is trying to get this working with LR auto import. LR auto import does not see images in sub folders and unfortunately Sony wireless import always dumps files into a date labelled folder that is created on import inside your specified upload folder. Any work arounds?
You might be able to create an Automator app that watches a folder in OS X and responds to subfolder and files by moving them to where Lightroom is looking. I haven't tried this, but it might be possible...
---
Easy as pie. Create this with Automator:

My test used a "create" and "destination" folder that I made on the desktop. You need to define your own. The topmost item is disabled in this picture ... you need it for testing in Automator.
Once you have that, save as a Folder Action and quit Automator. Tell LR to watch the destination folder. From that point, every time the Sony app creates things in the "create" folder, the Finder will look for all non-folder items and move them to the "destination" folder. LR will find them there and do its import and process...

Took five minutes. ;-)

G

Last edited:

scho

You might be able to create an Automator app that watches a folder in OS X and responds to subfolder and files by moving them to where Lightroom is looking. I haven't tried this, but it might be possible...
---
Easy as pie. Create this with Automator:

My test used a "create" and "destination" folder that I made on the desktop. You need to define your own. The topmost item is disabled in this picture ... you need it for testing in Automator.
Once you have that, save as a Folder Action and quit Automator. Tell LR to watch the destination folder. From that point, every time the Sony app creates things in the "create" folder, the Finder will look for all non-folder items and move them to the "destination" folder. LR will find them there and do its import and process...

Took five minutes. ;-)

G
Thanks Godfrey. Works perfectly!

scho

There is still a bug in Wireless Auto Import that is corrupting the first file in a batch transfer. I think it is an unexpected EOF error.

scho

I have a workaround now. It was the automator folder action that was disrupting wireless file transfer. Now I just do wireless import directly to the desktop folder (it will create a new date folder with the files) and then manually drag this folder into the automator action folder that transfers the files to the LR watched auto import folder.

Last edited: