The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Macro Lense options for A7R

Georg Baumann

Subscriber Member
Yeah, I guess the R100 and the Macroplanar are both the best of breed here, while the Zeiss is still produced, the Leica is not, and some of the Leica Adapters are hard to come by. I never bought a used lense before and I would be reluctant to do so in deed, except perhaps I know from where it comes.

Thanks all for opinions.

biglouis

This thread has pushed me over the edge as far as trying the R-60 Macro Elmarit. Got the lens, just waiting for a Metabones adapter. Hope I can get on with the combination.

LouisB

Godfrey

Yeah, I guess the R100 and the Macroplanar are both the best of breed here, while the Zeiss is still produced, the Leica is not, and some of the Leica Adapters are hard to come by. I never bought a used lense before and I would be reluctant to do so in deed, except perhaps I know from where it comes.

Thanks all for opinions.
I like buying lenses new, but in all honesty I have only rarely purchased new Leica lenses due to the prices they get for them. One joy of the A7 for me is that I can buy used Leica R lenses at fantabulously low prices ... The ten Leica R lens kit I've assembled, if purchased in new lenses in the late 1990s, would have cost me well over $30,000, with more valuable $ than today. As it is, what I've acquired cost me (well) under $5000, all in premium condition. That's about on par with a single new Summilux-M 50mm.

But it's all really an aside. If you want to buy new, the Zeiss is the only game in town for a lens of this calibre. And it's a darn fine lens.

G

Georg Baumann

Subscriber Member
Thanks Godfrey, good points.

I also figured that there are some professional dealers that sell used glass, which might be a little safer option than buying from private.

psy501

..sorry for the double post..tried to delete one of them but if deleting one of them, BOTH get deleted..:)..

Godfrey

Thanks Godfrey, good points.

I also figured that there are some professional dealers that sell used glass, which might be a little safer option than buying from private.
I've never had problems buying new or used from Tamarkin.com. Dan and his crew are good folks to work with. Tamarkin.com has both new and used gear on hand.

G

biglouis

Received the 60/2.8 Macro-Elmarit R and a Metabones adapter. Not entirely impressed by the adapter - nicely made no doubt about it - but mounting the lens it feel very tight. Not like my Novoflex adapter for M lenses.

I've hankered after a 60/2.8 Macro during the years and it is great to have a camera system that can justify owning one. Not sure of the results, though. Both tripod mounted on Sony A7.

f3.5

f16

For comparison's sake here are two taken with my Sigma DP3M - which I class as being the best macro lens I have ever had - however (as you may know) ergonomics and usability leave a lot to be desired over the Sony A7.

f3.5

f16

Godfrey

Difference in DoF between the A7 and APS-C clearly visible there! :)

I use the Novoflex NEX/LER adapter. I tried a couple of Metabones and returned them - poor quality control. Most of my lenses would not work on them while all of my lenses work perfectly on the Novoflex.

G

Bob Parsons

Received the 60/2.8 Macro-Elmarit R and a Metabones adapter. Not entirely impressed by the adapter - nicely made no doubt about it - but mounting the lens it feel very tight. Not like my Novoflex adapter for M lenses.......................
Louis, I found my Metabones Leica R-E mount adapter very tight and had to disassemble it and adjust (slightly flatten the spring angle) the leaf springs. That was unlike my other Metabones EF-E adapter which was impossibly tight. It was a little better after spring adjustment but still tight and tended to bind. I discovered with the leaf springs removed it was still tight. The problem was due to the back edge of the adapter bayonet ring fouling the rear lips on the lens mount. I solved the problem by removing a few microns from the rear of the adapter lens bayonet ring (removed plating down to the brass). Considering the cost of these adapters I'm rather disappointed with their mechanical tolerances.

If you do disassemble your adapter for any reason, make sure when you undo the screws with the supplied hex key that the key is seated into the screw heads with firm pressure. The key material is rather soft and easily damaged.

Bob.

biglouis

Difference in DoF between the A7 and APS-C clearly visible there! :)

I use the Novoflex NEX/LER adapter. I tried a couple of Metabones and returned them - poor quality control. Most of my lenses would not work on them while all of my lenses work perfectly on the Novoflex.

G
Ahhhh! Had not thought of that, thanks.

I thought Metabones had a good reputation hence I purchased it. Next time I will definitely check out Novoflex first.

Louis, I found my Metabones Leica R-E mount adapter very tight and had to disassemble it and adjust (slightly flatten the spring angle) the leaf springs. That was unlike my other Metabones EF-E adapter which was impossibly tight. It was a little better after spring adjustment but still tight and tended to bind. I discovered with the leaf springs removed it was still tight. The problem was due to the back edge of the adapter bayonet ring fouling the rear lips on the lens mount. I solved the problem by removing a few microns from the rear of the adapter lens bayonet ring (removed plating down to the brass). Considering the cost of these adapters I'm rather disappointed with their mechanical tolerances.

If you do disassemble your adapter for any reason, make sure when you undo the screws with the supplied hex key that the key is seated into the screw heads with firm pressure. The key material is rather soft and easily damaged.

Bob.
Useful tip. I will have a go when I have a spare hour or so! Thanks for the information.

LouisB

turtle

What about the Zuiko OM 50mm f3.5, or Canon FD 50 f3.5?

I've tested the former and it is superb. The latter, if it is remotely like the 50mm f1.4 in terms of general competency, will be breathtaking.

I did a write up on the 50mm OM on my blog and I can't say I will be looking for another macro lens as this one is a useful all rounder (stopped down) and great up close. I might try the Canon out of curiosity though, as the 50mm f1.4 really did astonish me.

vjbelle

I'm late to this thread but I wouldn't consider anything other than the Zeiss 100. Its not only superb at close focus but also at infinity. I use it a lot for landscape/cityscape. I share your reluctance for buying used and would only do so if there was a no questions asked return policy.

Victor

turtle

Victor, the Zeiss 100 is superb, but it is also very large, especially on the little Sony. If you're aiming for a very small kit and light weight, the OM is a cracker, although I am sure it does not quite reach the performance of the Zeiss.