The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7r Crop Mode Vs A6000

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Totally agree with you. This always depends on needs and the A77II maybe a far better choice in your situation. After I get the A77II my needs for the A6000 will go down quite a bit for real work.

What's fun here is a 650 dollar camera has some real meat to it.

Professional

Totally agree with you. This always depends on needs and the A77II maybe a far better choice in your situation. After I get the A77II my needs for the A6000 will go down quite a bit for real work.

What's fun here is a 650 dollar camera has some real meat to it.
Yes, because it is cheap it is really a killer deal, but i am saving that 650 [to me it will be over 800 to buy A6000 online or locally] for something else better, say a lens for example, and i am trying to complete some items i want to buy before i travel to USA this summer, and A7r will be my main camera and i will leave my MF at home.

I don't know how many lenses i will carry with me, i don't want to miss anything from landscapes to macro to portraits if possible, but definitely i will carry my trinity zoom lenses and TS lenses, then maybe 1 macro lens, whatever else is just bonus.

If i know some people renting this A6000 i may give it a try, or i may buy A77-II from there that it will be way cheaper than my country and hopefully cheaper than online.

Uaiomex

I just skipped all posts. Let me guess:
The first one in the first two comparisons is the A7R.
I can see 2 things: In the first one I see a tiny less amount of definition and bit more DR. so, it must the A7r.
Eduardo

Baronphoto

Guy

Thanks for sharing your testing results as well as your settings. I find it very useful to back up what I have been seeing in my images and to improve my PP.

I am coming from a Canon background and was using the 5D III. I now have added the Sony A7r and A6000. The DR of the Sony sensors is amazing. While the A7r will be used for most of the landscape work, the A6000 is a great back up body and is a very nice size for a walk about camera. There will also be times when using the FE 70-200 on the A6000 will give more reach.

Again, this thread has been educational.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I think it tells a good story of what to expect and many folks will have the A6000 as the little walk around but nice to know you can quality reaching the A7r. Usually these types of 36mpx cams and P&S are so far apart it makes them hard to use in combination. For those that maybe don't need the A77II to backup there A7r than this is a nice option. I like options myself but I like things to match and these are pretty dang close

Uaiomex

Ok. I was wrong twice. But yes, somehow I like better the second images which corresponds to the A7r. Don't know why, but I do.

BTW: My IR-converted A6000 and Rhinocam got home 2 hours ago.

Eduardo

Tim

Ok. I was wrong twice. But yes, somehow I like better the second images which corresponds to the A7r. Don't know why, but I do.

BTW: My IR-converted A6000 and Rhinocam got home 2 hours ago.

Eduardo
Don't worry I was wrong twice also. :cry: I preferred the A6000 as well, only ever so slightly and I could only detect a tiny difference in parts of the image. Maybe it was some other factor.

shamanrawb

To me this makes the A6000 a extremely good backup to the power of the A7r. Its also a great travel cam and even on a Pro level for me i can use it on gigs. For 650 dollars I am extremely impressed by that alone.
I know I'm reviving an old thread, but I had a question, or more specifically, needed some confirmation.

I currently have an A6000 and added a nice range of lenses. The kit lenses, 16-55mm, 50-210mm. The 50mm Prime 1.8f, the 35mm Macro 3.5f, and the Samyang 12mm F2 'Astro' lens.

I'm considering the reasons to upgrade to the A7R, and after seeing this thread, am thinking maybe it would be a good idea to sell the A6000, get the A7R body, and keep using my lenses until I can sell them/afford to replace them with FF lenses. Based on what I'm reading, I won't lose anything by doing this, but will be better setup to just focus on getting the FF lenses over time. Then, these lenses can be used when I'm ready to upgrade to the A7Rii.

Does all of that sound right?
Appreciate any input.

Thanks all,
Rob

...get the A7R body, and keep using my lenses until I can sell them/afford to replace them with FF lenses. Based on what I'm reading, I won't lose anything by doing this...
Your existing lenses should work well on the A7R, but you will give up some megapixels. The APS-C mode on the A7R is 15mpx, vs the 24mpx of the a6000.

Annna T

I know I'm reviving an old thread, but I had a question, or more specifically, needed some confirmation.

I currently have an A6000 and added a nice range of lenses. The kit lenses, 16-55mm, 50-210mm. The 50mm Prime 1.8f, the 35mm Macro 3.5f, and the Samyang 12mm F2 'Astro' lens.

I'm considering the reasons to upgrade to the A7R, and after seeing this thread, am thinking maybe it would be a good idea to sell the A6000, get the A7R body, and keep using my lenses until I can sell them/afford to replace them with FF lenses. Based on what I'm reading, I won't lose anything by doing this, but will be better setup to just focus on getting the FF lenses over time. Then, these lenses can be used when I'm ready to upgrade to the A7Rii.

Does all of that sound right?
Appreciate any input.

Thanks all,
Rob
Also beware that the A7r only has contrast detect; it is not an hybrid focusing camera, as it doesn't have those focus helping pixels on the sensor. Focusing is one of the strong points of the A6000, if you get an A7r, you will not be able to focus moving target, like playing children. Well you can prefocus or you will get a lot of missed opportunities. If you are mainly a landscape photographer, you will be OK.

In order to keep the same reactivity of focusing, you should either keep your A6000 for those occasions, along with the A7r, or go directly to the A7r2 and skip the A7r.