The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony A77II ordered

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Placed my order at B&H this morning. Check out Sony rumors video with Gary Fong given a demo. I never seen AF tracking so intelligent. I'm impressed can't wait to shoot it on runway. This setup with AF continuous with single point expanded is a no brainer.

So now I'll have 3 bodies A7r, A6000 and A77ii.

Heck I got every conceivable photo shoot thrown at me covered now. Primary PR will be A77ii and primary advertising will be A7r and the A6000 will float between everything.

Anyone else order one

iiiNelson

Looks great... I had the first one and didn't use it enough so I sold it towards my other camera gear. Probably will pass on this one as I think I've come to the conclusion I'm just not a DSLR guy and I want to se what Photokina brings in the way of the rumored Sony/Fuji MF camera.

k-hawinkler

Placed my order at B&H this morning. Check out Sony rumors video with Gary Fong given a demo. I never seen AF tracking so intelligent. I'm impressed can't wait to shoot it on runway. This setup with AF continuous with single point expanded is a no brainer.

Heck I got every conceivable photo shoot thrown at me covered now. Primary PR will be A77ii and primary advertising will be A7r and the A6000 will float between everything.

Anyone else order one

New for Sony, I agree.
I am amazed though by the amount of disinformation in those videos about continuous autofocus tracking.
Other vendors have done that kind of thing successdully before, no?

Guy Mancuso

Not sure any have done it with a single point than in expanded mode like that. Usually it's just with the single point only and no movement of the AF point. Sony locks in than follows with the next closets AF point or maybe better said will go outside the initial AF point and keep tracking. Now I don't know of 4/3rds systems as they might be able to do that.

Georg Baumann

Subscriber Member
You know, there is that thing with uneven numbers. Should have placed the order for A7S as well.

Whether you order now or in a few weeks, order you will! :grin:

;)

Congrats! Looking forward to your experience and pictures! For wildlife, the 500 F4 with 1.4 extender is probably a dream on her!

Guy Mancuso

Na I'm hooked up really well now. Here is the plan.

Shooting Criteria One: landscape , advertising and anything I really care about. LOL

A7r , ZA 24 F2, sigma 35mm ART, ZA 85 1.4 and 135 1.8
backup to it A6000 plus two lenses I can use Zeiss 12 either on the A6000 as a 18mm or in crop mode on the A7r but I can shoot on the A7r right to the image circle and crop a square if I wanted. This one can be useful when I need vertical space. Plus I have the 55 1.8.

In effect I have 18,24,35,55,85,135 and with the A6000 I can go to 200mm. Covered like a blanket

Shooting Criteria 2: PR, Events,
AF continous focus situations and 24mpx is more than enough stuff

A77II, 16-50 2.8 DT lens, 85 1.4 and 135 1.8 PLUS I have the 24mm and 35mm if I need ISO shooting speed.
Backup A6000, Zeiss 12 and 55mm

again 18mm -200mm covered plus redundant fast lenses if needed. I rent the 70-200 for a effective 300mm for my big runway shows. Im not buying a 70-200 so i rent it when needed

Shooting Criteria 3
Af backup to both 1 and 2 shooting criteria, travel and when I want to go light

A6000 Zeiss 12, 55mm FE plus i can use my Sony 4 adapter for the 24 and 85. which gives me a range from 18mm to 135mm

Im pretty happy about the way I set myself up. Sure would not mind having some older manual lenses for the A7r but I still get a very nice look to some of the lenses I already have the 24, 35 are very nice in look but the 85 and 135 are killer in look.

My only real snag to this is on the A7r i am using a adapter on all my glass except the 55 and 12mm but until Sony makes some real fast glass in FE this is what we get. I bought most of my ZA glass used so I won't take too much of a beating when the FE glass comes out. The 135 I did buy new and not sure i would ever sell it anyway. Just too nice even though they are coming out with a SSM model I will pass on that. Its plenty fast in AF speed.

Okay back to work on deadline

biglouis

Guy

You are evidence of how Sony have come from nowhere and now are poised to be the leading camera company in the market.

LouisB

Guy Mancuso

Looks like I will have the A77II Friday and my 16-50 on Monday. Im all ready for both with LCD protector , lens hood ( i use metal lens hoods, no front cap for years)strap, 2 extra batteries and charger plus some new cards. I will get the vertical grip within the next month as well. Probably buy 2 more batteries as well for a total of 5 for when I do all day gigs.

BTW been having a lot of luck on those Wasabi batteries on the A6000 and A7r. I ordered these for the A77II.

My only downfall of these 3 bodies is they take 2 different batteries. PITA but it is what it is.

ryc

Guy,

I have a few ZA lenses I am selling. I have two of everything. I even have a new in the box 24-70 f4 zeiss in FE mount. ping me if you want something. I will give you a smoking deal :) I just don't use the extra stuff.

Guy Mancuso

A77II is here I never shot the A77 but this is one cool camera and I like the functionality of it. One thing to get used too for me is the focus modes the dial is on the body. Seriously though this thing may never come off Continuous focus with Low drive speed which you can still do a single shot easy as its not that touchy and the Flexible spot AF point might just be the ticket for a lot of PR and event work and its quiet. I do have to play some more but first impression is very positive.

Professional

I only care about that AF speed with continuous shots with maximum fps, i would like to use this camera dedicated for sports, if it can match those Canon/Nikon sports bodies then i am in.

MikalWGrass

Guy, what is your initial verdict on the A77II? I still didn't pull the trigger on the a6000. My wife ran a fashion blog about 4 or 5 years ago, which is the reason that Marc W. convinced me to get the a900. She now wants to get back in the game so I will definitely need something a bit better than the a900 for the runway and party work. The 77 II entered my mind because of your work and the fact that I could use it for sports as well.

The 77 II is small enough to use as a travel camera as well, is my guess, but I am really loving my iPhone 5s for pretty much everything family and travel related in the meantime.

Thank you.

Guy Mancuso

I just went out to shoot a couple shots finally. Been sitting on this for a week now. Now that LR supports it I can process some files. But I will say this on the AF. It just about beats the crap out of anything I have seen. I actually like this camera a lot and the A6000 I like a lot. For different reasons of course but for the money these cams are pretty dang nice and the A77II is lacking for very little functionally . I get something up here in a bit, I just finished a huge design project last week so I am getting back to normal. Yea i do graphic design too but don't tell anyone. Im good but reality is Im a Pro Photographer not a Pro designer. LOL

Now i just need to learn Lightroom as I loaded that 2 days ago.

iiiNelson

Guy, what is your initial verdict on the A77II? I still didn't pull the trigger on the a6000. My wife ran a fashion blog about 4 or 5 years ago, which is the reason that Marc W. convinced me to get the a900. She now wants to get back in the game so I will definitely need something a bit better than the a900 for the runway and party work. The 77 II entered my mind because of your work and the fact that I could use it for sports as well.

The 77 II is small enough to use as a travel camera as well, is my guess, but I am really loving my iPhone 5s for pretty much everything family and travel related in the meantime.

Thank you.
If the A77II isin the vein of the original then it will be a great camera. The only reason I sold my A77 was because I just didn't use it enough.

Guy Mancuso

Okay Straight out of the can and stupid me I forgot the 16-50 this morning and had the Za 24mm on. I processed this in LR with only sharpening applied. Right now I have 90, .6, 25 and masking 10. Im not married to it yet but it is sharp as ****. LOL