The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

M.M Function in "manual" mode on Sony A7R?

Am just wondering if anyone is able to shed some light on what the M.M function does when the Sony A7R is set to "manual" mode?

Would be amazing if someone could clear this up for me!

Thanks a lot!

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
I looked at my camera. I looked in Gary Friedman's book on A7r. I looked in the manual. I couldn't find any information on what you are seeing. Please give us more information on what you are seeing. If it is in the function menu, then what is in the block on either side of it?

The reason that neither of you could see it was probably because I did a terrible job of explaining what I meant! My apologies for that...

So I guess the "M.M" is not even a function but maybe more of an indicator that appears on the bottom of the taking screen, to the left of the ISO and to the right of the aperture (the way my camera is setup). I think it changes in value between -2 to +2 . It only seems to be there in "M" mode and when switched to another mode (S,A,P) it is replaced by the exposure compensation wheel value.

I hope this explains what I mean.. If not, I will attempt to take a photo of it when my camera comes off charge..

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
A picture would be good. I looked at mine and don't have that. I changed a lot of settings from the default on mine, so I may not be seeing the same display.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
You are in manual mode. You have iso set at 100, shutter set to 1/125 and f stop at f/11. These are all fixed, so the camera is telling you that if you shoot like this, you will be underexposed by 2 stops (or more if blinking). You will notice that if you set the iso to Auto, then the iso will float up and down and you will get the correct exposure (unless you exceed the caps on iso...then it will blink).

In manual mode, there is no exposure compensation. M.M. -2 is telling you that you are in manual mode and are two stops (or more if blinking) underexposed.