The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony techcam examples

Fair enough, I did read that..

You did also say "If I were to have one, the Rodenstock 50mm and Nikon 14-24mm are the lenses to go with the camera" and that is why I asked the question.. :)

Seeing as you have had access to one, do you see it being possible to attach Canon Eos lenses, if you were to use them with a preset aperture? That is with a bit of custom machining of course :)

I ask because there is only a 2.5mm flange distance difference between Canon Eos (44mm) and Nikon F (46.5mm).

Also, I don't quite understand the Leica M39 mount.. It is stated as having a flange distance of 28.80mm. I would assume movements would be extremely limited with this and am not even sure that they project a bigger enough image circle to be useful..

Or were there other lenses that were made in this mount with larger image circles?

Ok, thanks a lot, look forward to hearing your thoughts..

Annna T

Fair enough, I did read that..

You did also say "If I were to have one, the Rodenstock 50mm and Nikon 14-24mm are the lenses to go with the camera" and that is why I asked the question.. :)

Seeing as you have had access to one, do you see it being possible to attach Canon Eos lenses, if you were to use them with a preset aperture? That is with a bit of custom machining of course :)

I ask because there is only a 2.5mm flange distance difference between Canon Eos (44mm) and Nikon F (46.5mm).

Also, I don't quite understand the Leica M39 mount.. It is stated as having a flange distance of 28.80mm. I would assume movements would be extremely limited with this and am not even sure that they project a bigger enough image circle to be useful..

Or were there other lenses that were made in this mount with larger image circles?

Ok, thanks a lot, look forward to hearing your thoughts..

Here is a link to the Cambo leaflet concerning the different parts available for the Aptus.

There are lens plates available for Nikon, Canon and Leica R lenses in addition to medium format lenses.

On the rear standard, you can mount Canon, Nikon, Sony E, Fuji X and MFT bodies. Cambo indicates that Canon 1D and Nikon D3/4 are incompatible.
They also indicate that 35mm lenses can only be used with "mirror less cameras".

What I take from it is that lenses designed for 24x36mm format only make sense with cropped sensors, may be with the exception of some rare lenses offering a wider coverage, even if you can mount them. Further, the fact that you can physically mount a given lens on the front standard with a given body on the rear standard, doesn't mean it will allow you all the movements you hope and may be some will not be able to focus how you want.
But there is a wide angle bellow which may be handy.

But I must say that this small view cam looks really good, provided you have/find the right lenses to mount on it. Still I'm not sure how much movements you can get : Cambo says vertical shift 27mm (12mm fall and 15mm rise). 12mm fall isn't that much for architecture. If you have to use medium format lenses, then you will be limited for wide angle and architecture photography. You may still be better with a Canon TSE on the A7 series.

Hi,
Thanks so much for the response back and the link to the brochure. So I think you are correct, when they say"for mirror less bodies only" they do not really specify whether it is a full frame or crop sensor mirrorless body but I think they are inferring that it is for a crop sensor..

Another few things I noticed from the brochure were that they specify that the M39 Leica thread is for enlarging lenses (which answers my previous question) and also that one of the lens plate options is a "Canon Eos Bayonet".

This is the first time that I have seen this referenced, maybe it is a typo?

Hope not, would be awesome to have the ability to use Canon Eos lenses (by presetting aperture to f11-f16) :)

With regards to only having 12mm fall for architecture, do you find that you use fall that much? Personally, I rarely ever use it.. I use rise all the time but hardly ever fall..

Ok, thanks so much once again, much appreciated!

If anyone knows if there is actually a Canon Eos mount coming out, would be great to know if that would enable the use of the Canon 24mm TS-E and i guess the 17mm TS-E..

Annna T

Another few things I noticed from the brochure were that they specify that the M39 Leica thread is for enlarging lenses (which answers my previous question) and also that one of the lens plate options is a "Canon Eos Bayonet".

This is the first time that I have seen this referenced, maybe it is a typo?

Hope not, would be awesome to have the ability to use Canon Eos lenses (by presetting aperture to f11-f16) :)
Somewhere on their website they indicate that the number of parts available may be changing over time (growing ? Getting rid of what doesn't sell ?) You should ask them.

With regards to only having 12mm fall for architecture, do you find that you use fall that much? Personally, I rarely ever use it.. I use rise all the time but hardly ever fall..
In order to obtain the same effect, you have to apply movements in opposite direction whether you choose to move the the front lens panel or the rear standard : with TSE lenses, you apply the movement to the lens and then rise it when you want to catch tall buildings. But from what I read, he Actus can only tilt and swing the lens plate, so you have to use a fall of the rear standard instead, because on the sensor the image is captured upside down.

If anyone knows if there is actually a Canon Eos mount coming out, would be great to know if that would enable the use of the Canon 24mm TS-E and i guess the 17mm TS-E..
But you already have tilt and shift on a TSE lens : why would you want to add all the Actus weight to your combo ? Note that the 24mm TSE is also allowing 12mm rise, aka the same as the 12mm Actus fall.

Although the Actus looks lovely, I have more or less concluded that for architecture I should rather exchange my 24mm TSE version I for the second version. Only draw back is that the second version is considerably heavier and bulkier than the first version. Those photographing products in a studio may come to a different conclusion. The main problem of the Actus for architecture photography is finding the right wide angle medium format lens to pair it with.

Hi Annna T,
Thanks again for the response back..

So it would seem that a Canon Eos lens makes sense.. It is the most adaptable mount for such purposes, you could basically just have one mount and then use third party adapters for using other medium format lenses..

So I guess I have forgotten the movements from monorail 4x5 film days :(
So it is the rear fall that we are looking to use most often in architecture. If that is the case, isn't rear fall 15mm?

With regards to why I would potentially want to add this to my kit, its because I already have a mixture of medium format lenses that I can see my self using it with.. The ability to be able to use the Canon TS-E lenses would just be a bonus! Also, if the Canon lenses were able to be used, I would potentially get (effective) front rise and shift. Pretty important to me in architecture and landscape..

With regards to the Canon V1 compared to the V2, I have only ever ownded the V2 so I cannot really say.. From all reports though, the V2 is clearly superior in every way.. Apart from weight as you say :)

scho

Another lens test with the Sony A7R on the Cambo Actus. Just used rear rise/fall for a simple two shot stitch. Rodenstock APO 55mm f/4.5 Grandagon lens. Click for full size image. ISO 100, f/16. Very sharp from edge to edge.

Georg Baumann

Subscriber Member
Superb Carl!

I just had to laugh, not at you or your work here that is, but at this setup in general, hehehe

:D I mean,come on...

Imagine 10 years ago or so someone would have told you that you are going to shoot with a Rodenstock Grandagon attached to a mirrorless Sony full frame camera sporting in excess of 30 MP, attached to a precision system that allows for tech camera movements weighing just 1 Kg etc.

I guess you too would have :loco: wondered about the mental sanity of a person making such predictions. LOL:ROTFL:

scho

Superb Carl!

I just had to laugh, not at you or your work here that is, but at this setup in general, hehehe

:D I mean,come on...

Imagine 10 years ago or so someone would have told you that you are going to shoot with a Rodenstock Grandagon attached to a mirrorless Sony full frame camera sporting in excess of 30 MP, attached to a precision system that allows for tech camera movements weighing just 1 Kg etc.

I guess you too would have :loco: wondered about the mental sanity of a person making such predictions. LOL:ROTFL:
Thanks Georg. Actually, I've been fantasizing such a setup for a long time so guess I need to question my own sanity:loco: Just very pleased and thankful to Cambo for finally making it a reality. Now just waiting for Sony to bring on that 50 mp camera that I can stick on the back of the Actus. :)

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Guy are you still reviewing the Actus?
I'm waiting on a upgraded modification that will recess the lens board more for wide angles. But I will check in with the folks at CI. I have been renovating my daughters new home all week. Man is this hard work. Than my grandson should be here soon. Getting exciting . So been a little quiet here this week.

iiiNelson

I'm waiting on a upgraded modification that will recess the lens board more for wide angles. But I will check in with the folks at CI. I have been renovating my daughters new home all week. Man is this hard work. Than my grandson should be here soon. Getting exciting . So been a little quiet here this week.
No worries... Didn't know if the quiet front on the review was a bad sign or not. Family is more important and I assume this is the first grandkid so that's a huge deal.

nikonf

Carl,
This is Great news!
I have been anxious to use my 55mm Rodenstock APO Grandagon again and now, thanks to you, I know it will work.
I wonder if my 72mm Super Angulon XL and 110mm Super Symmar XL will work on the Actus?
I really miss working with my 4x5.
Thanks to Cambo, I can work with a digital view camera.
All the best,
Mike
Thanks Georg. Actually, I've been fantasizing such a setup for a long time so guess I need to question my own sanity:loco: Just very pleased and thankful to Cambo for finally making it a reality. Now just waiting for Sony to bring on that 50 mp camera that I can stick on the back of the Actus. :)

scho

A few more panos that I shot this morning down at the marina. Same setup using the Rondenstock APO-Grandagon 55mm f/4.5 on the Cambo Actus with Sony A7R as the back. All were 2 or 3 shot stitches at f/11 or f/16, ISO 100.

scho

One more from the marina series. This was two shots, shifted in portrait orientation. Picked up some magenta cast on the left with the shift. Could be easily corrected with an LCC in C1 or dng CC in LR. Love how easy it is to switch from landscape to portrait and back w/o removing the camera. Just hold down a small lever and rotate the camera.

Congratulations Scho! Those shots look really great!

So these lenses are originally designed for 4x5 film? I am surprised that they hold up so well in conjunction with the Sony A7R..

With regards to the Magenta color cast, why is it that it has only appeared in one of the shots?

Apart from the stitching of the original two images, did you use any other movements of the Actus? Was the last shot shifted more than the others and is therefore running into the outer edges of the image circle?

Or is it purely down to the original design of the lens?

Excuse my ignorance but what is a "dng CC in LR"? Are you able to explain this to me by any chance?

If these casts were easy enough to correct, these lenses could be great light travel lenses.. Any idea what the 35mm Rodenstock Apo Grandagon would be like? Only designed to accomodate 6x12 but plenty for use with the A7R right?

I am awaiting eagerly to see a Actus in person but have a feeling it may tick a lot of boxes when I do..

:)

Sunchai

One of my friend is a Crystal’s collector. He is so kindly sending me one of them for testing.
Sony Ar7 with Apo-Digitar @ f16 with front Swing for 2 degree and Tilt for 1 degree. Exposure @ ¼ ISO 100.
I have learned a lot of news things and have to end up with news investment for the lighting equipment (flashlight) I have paid for @1.5 USD. So the total of 4 = 6 USD.
Have Fun.
Sunchai.:)

scho

Congratulations Scho! Those shots look really great!

So these lenses are originally designed for 4x5 film? I am surprised that they hold up so well in conjunction with the Sony A7R..

With regards to the Magenta color cast, why is it that it has only appeared in one of the shots?

Apart from the stitching of the original two images, did you use any other movements of the Actus? Was the last shot shifted more than the others and is therefore running into the outer edges of the image circle?

Or is it purely down to the original design of the lens?

Excuse my ignorance but what is a "dng CC in LR"? Are you able to explain this to me by any chance?

If these casts were easy enough to correct, these lenses could be great light travel lenses.. Any idea what the 35mm Rodenstock Apo Grandagon would be like? Only designed to accomodate 6x12 but plenty for use with the A7R right?

I am awaiting eagerly to see a Actus in person but have a feeling it may tick a lot of boxes when I do..

:)
Thank you wallpaperviking. Yes the lenses I'm using were designed for either 4x5 or 6x9. The magenta cast is most evident in the flagpole shot because of the predominant sky background and it was also shot in portrait mode close to the max shift edge. I used about 2 degrees tilt on one of the images, but don't recall which one. I'm sure that the wider lenses (see Steve's CI blog review of the actus) will also be more problematic with respect to edge blur, casts and vignetting. The LR lens correction procedure is similar to LCC in C1. but requires use of a dng correction file. Essentially like Cornerfix where you shoot a white background and convert the calibration image to dng. Your 35 might be OK if you don't use shift much, but I don't have any LF lenses that wide to test. I think that Guy plans on testing some wides with the new Actus design for use with digital wides.

scho

A few more sample shots taken with the Sony A7R-Cambo Actus-Rodenstock APO-Grandagon 55mm f/4.5. I might have had too much rise and/or tilt in some of the two shot stitched images. Also too windy to keep foliage sharp. A cold afternoon down below Ithaca Falls on Fall Creek. This was homecoming weekend at Cornell as well as peak salmon and brown trout fishing time for local anglers so there was an interesting mix of people down there today.

Eroded sycamore roots on the flood plain along the trail to the falls.

Fishing for salmon and brown trout.

Doing selfies at the falls.

Last edited:

Sunchai

The Selective Sharpness.
A7r, Rodenstock Apo sironar digital 45mm @f8.5
front Swing for 14 degree,
front Tilt for 2 degree,