The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

L-Bracket for Sony A7R?

Hi everyone,

I am hoping someone on here may be able to help me out with this query..

I currently have the Sony A7R and use it in conjunction with the Metabones v3 adapter and the Canon 24mm TS-E II. I have a Hejnar L-Bracket (and spacer) for the Metabones V3 and it works really great, taking the weight of the 24mm TS-E II and enabling "portrait" orientation without having to flip the tripod head..

I am now on the hunt for a L-Bracket for the body of the Sony A7R, ideally I would like it to be able to be placed on the camera at all times, not interfere with the Hejnar L-Bracket when it is attached and also allow access to the A7R cable port (so I can use the wired cable release RM-VPR1) when used in the portrait orientation.

For some reason, I am unable to attach an image at the moment but what I am after is similar to Fred Miranda's use of an L-Bracket in his article on using the Sony A7R with Canon glass..

Sony A7R teams up with Canon glass

It is the second image under the heading "Electronic Viewfinder and Tilting LCD".

Here he is using the Hejnar L-Bracket for the Metabones adapter and a Markins L-Bracket for the Sony A7R.

From my understanding, the Markins L-Bracket does not allow you to access the cable ports when used in portrait orientation. This is important to me when I am doing a Panoramic stitch of many "portrait" orientated images.

So my options are (to the best of my knowledge)

RRS L-Bracket

L-plate for Sony A7/A7R

or a JLM L-Bracket

L-Plates for Sony a7 / a7R Cameras

I realise that to use the L-Bracket on the Sony A7R body, the Metabones adapter and L-Bracket will need to be removed.. Also, I assume by looking at this image that you are able to use the Metabones L-Bracket with the Sony A7R L-Bracket in place.. Please correct me if this is incorrect.

Anybody who is using such a setup or even if somebody had a thought as to whether this would work or not, would be great to hear from you..

Any thoughts or comments would be greatly appreciated!

jlm

Workshop Member
as i understand it, the issue is how to have both mounted at once, right?

1. you want a bracket, camera mounted, that will allow cable use when tripod mounted in portrait mode Ports accessible and cables don't interfere

2. you want a lens mounted L-bracket as well, which would take precedent when mounted.

probably leave the camera bracket on all the time, leave the lens bracket on the lens all the time, so mounting the lens brings the L-plate along with it?
if using my JLM gear, i would have to make a custom lens mounted L-plate, with a suitable spacer/connector to the lens mount. in house i have a zeiss 135 with sony adapter/with tripod mount i can evaluate using that getup

by the way, unless the Sunway plate can move sideways, the cables will prevent tripod mounting in portrait mode

Hi,
Thanks for all the responses, greatly appreciated!

Jim, you are exactly right in what I am after.. Keep the camera L-Plate on all the time and keep the Metabones L-Plate on all the time (with Canon 24mm TS-E attached). Would look at being able to use the L-Plate of the Metabones whilst the camera L-Plate is attached and when wanting to use the camera L-Plate, would be taking the Metabones off anyway..

That Sunway is out, as you have said, as it does not allow access to the various cable ports when the camera is in "portrait" mode.

With regards to your L-Plate, where exactly would it come into contact with the Hejnar Metabones L-Plate? Is it on the side of the A7R or is it on the underside?

Sorry, am a bit confused :(

Based on the image sample I have provided (which I realise is a different design of the Markins L-Bracket) I would have thought that adding a "spacer" would only increase the chance of the two L-Brackets interfering with one another?

Well, thanks again, is greatly appreciated!

jlm

Workshop Member
seems to me the lens mounted bracket has to move down and toward the front so that when clamped it will not interfere with the camera mounted bracket. that could be accomplished with a suitable spacer.