The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Best 200 mm lens

iiiNelson

I have Novoflex adapters for my contax lenses and haven't had any issues with them I recommend the ASTAT as well for the longer lenses if you use tripods on occasion. It's a pricey combination at ~$300 or so with both but it works. I'm able to handhold at higher shutter speeds though.

jfirneno

I have Novoflex adapters for my contax lenses and haven't had any issues with them I recommend the ASTAT as well for the longer lenses if you use tripods on occasion. It's a pricey combination at ~$300 or so with both but it works. I'm able to handhold at higher shutter speeds though.
Thanks for the info on the ASTAT. With the heavier lenses on the A7 cameras I really like to have the option of lens mounting the combo on a monopod. It really improves the experience of a long outing.

Regards,
John

iiiNelson

No problem. I keep quick release plates on my ASTAT's that allow quick transitions from tripod to handheld and back should I need to use my tripod.

frozenbb

I just grabbed a used Sigma 180mm 2.8 OS macro in a-mount. Does anyone else have any experience with this lens? At 1.6kg it's an absolute beast, but I must say it's got incredible optics: 19 elements, which correct wonderfully for just about everything.

Incidentally, has anyone with an A7m2 tried it with a Minolta 200mm 2.8 HS? I'm really curious to know how much ibis helps with lenses in the 180-200mm range.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I just grabbed a used Sigma 180mm 2.8 OS macro in a-mount. Does anyone else have any experience with this lens? At 1.6kg it's an absolute beast, but I must say it's got incredible optics: 19 elements, which correct wonderfully for just about everything.

Incidentally, has anyone with an A7m2 tried it with a Minolta 200mm 2.8 HS? I'm really curious to know how much ibis helps with lenses in the 180-200mm range.
I WANT that lens. the Minolta 200mm 2.8

I've got the combo in question. I've only used it for indoor basketball with the A7II, which isn't a great indicator at the shutter speeds I'm shooting.

I'll do some more appropriate handhold tests at slower shutter speeds when I get some time. Tomorrow night I'll be shooting the 135/1.8 at slow speeds so I should at least be able to report back on that.

Guy - yes, you do want the Minolta HS APO 200/2.8 but I'm not selling!

Guy Mancuso

I'm going to order one before our workshop in Febuary. I actually need it for a gig starting Jan. 29th. Event podium work it should be perfect at.

frozenbb

Thanks for the info, and any future reports with those long-ish lenses!

I recently missed a chance to buy the Minolta HS 200 locally - quite frustrating as they're already so hard to find. Perhaps someone bought it as an xmas gift for Guy! Tell me again why Sony hasn't reissued it (with updated mechanics or not)?

Slightly off-topic, but does anyone else use the Minolta af 135 2.8? There's some slight CA wide open, but I've been pleasantly surprised by its great color and good central sharpness. It's no Zeiss 135, but who wants to walk around with that monster all day?

Guy Mancuso

I ordered a bargain at KEH of the Minolta 200mm. Got a screaming deal. Last minute 10 percent off of about 80 dollars. Now they rated it a bargain and no images to see. Knowing this lens I figured they rated as such because of paint. This lens is notorious for losing its paint. Hoping that's all it is but they are good at returns. Get it Friday and here is hoping its a good one. Keep you posted but will certainly be using it on the A7II for sure. Hopefully IBIS does a good job.

pegelli

Good deal Guy, I hope it's just loss of paint because for me that increases the usability of that lens. Optically it's one of the best I have, and if you put on the Sony APO 1.4x converter (or another similar/older Minolta version) you've a great 280/4 that is still small, light, good bokeh and handles very well:

This is on an A900 with a less sophisticated IBIS, so on the a7II it should even be better

Guy Mancuso

Would not mine having the 1.4 extender. I had this lens long ago. It's just a gem that came out in the later 80's . I'm amazed Sony has not updated it. This was also about the time zooms started to become popular. In this time period zooms where seriously frowned on.

Guy Mancuso

Btw story has it in Asia this lens was the wedding shooters main lens. From what I was told there used to be group or several separate weddings going on at the same time in the same location. This lens was used to isolate the bride and groom from the pack.

Guy Mancuso

200mm arrived in very nice shape the glass looks to be perfect. There is some paint chipping but that was totally expected. Not sure i would label it a bargain lens normally but given the fact the paint just comes off this lens, i can see why KEH labeled it as such. They do underrate there used stuff. They try and play it safe and thats good for us end users. Very pleased and as i remember its very sharp wide open some CA but by F4 its a killer. If you can find one , I highly recommend it and its not big nor heavy either. Great for the backpack

Guy Mancuso

BTW I still have the 70-200 2.8 Version II coming as a rental for my gig in LA. I would love to throw these two against each other and just see how good they are in comparison. I like having the 200mm for PR gigs and doing landscape sometimes so the 200mm is a keeper regardless. My kit is almost finished for NOW. Never say never right. LOL

I have a little cash left for maybe a 35mm FE 2.8 or a Minolta 28mm F2 AF. Cant decide which. Reason being I have the 16-35 which is great up to 28mm and than I have the 50 1.4 but I don't have a fast wide. Just to cover the gap the 28mm F2 sounds good. I have 500 bucks so the budget is low. I have a 24mm TSE lens but thats not a PR
lens

Anyone have the Minolta 28mm F2 AF they want to sell . Let me know

Guy Mancuso

Interesting little test. It is on several levels. Its the Minolta 200mm 2.8 shot wide open at 1/80 of a second handheld. So IBIS really does work well. Even as a rock I could not do this handheld at this speed without IBIS. Second part of test shot in camera jpeg. Sharpening up 1 point, noise on low , than shot extra fine and medium size. Basically a 8x10 300 DPI in camera. Noise looks pretty darn good. Third part of test, hello this is wide open folks and sharp as a tack. Its not as good with Continuous AF as the 70-200mm 2.8 since its a screw drive so renting the zoom for this gig is needed but the AF on the 200mm is still very good and accurate obviously. Oh and number 4 part of this test its in crop mode. So its a 300mm effective handheld.