The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the RX100 III

gandolfi

Subscriber Member
Point and shoot!
Through the train window, images are but fleeting moments.
I glimpsed this scene of the village of Saorge in the Alpes Maritime out of the back of my head, 1/1600 @ 1.8.
Straightened and cropped a bit etc.

Barry Haines

Gandolfi, excellent series on the Waverley Paddle Steam boat (Brings back happy old memories).
I was last on that over 50 years ago! as it to and fro'd between Essex (Southend-on-Sea) and Kent across the Thames when I was a nipper :)

I think the sister ship the Medway Queen is still buried in the mud off of the Isle of Grain (Kent)...I documented it with film and a Leica M4 many, many years ago.
I had to wait between tides to get on and off her as it submerged twice a day...Anyway thanks for sharing, much enjoyed....Cheers Barry

gandolfi

Subscriber Member
Hi Barry,

Thanks for those kind words, glad you enjoyed the pics.

I think I was last on the Waverley in 1958 when I crossed the Bristol Channel from Weston Super Mare to Penarth at the end of a cycling/youth hostelling trip with my brother and a cousin.

I think The Medway Queen has been restored and is now at Gillingham and I do remember seeing it about 5 years ago at a dockyard in Bristol having a hull restoration. As I'm sure you know it was involved in the Dunkirk evacuations in 1940, and for a time was a nightclub on the Isle of Wight. Lots of info on the web.

A long and chequered past, just like us!

Have you still got the pics from the Isle of Grain?

Here's a pic of the engine chugging along. 1/2 sec hand held.

Cheers,

gandolfi.

Barry Haines

Hi Barry,

Thanks for those kind words, glad you enjoyed the pics.

I think I was last on the Waverley in 1958 when I crossed the Bristol Channel from Weston Super Mare to Penarth at the end of a cycling/youth hostelling trip with my brother and a cousin.

I think The Medway Queen has been restored and is now at Gillingham and I do remember seeing it about 5 years ago at a dockyard in Bristol having a hull restoration. As I'm sure you know it was involved in the Dunkirk evacuations in 1940, and for a time was a nightclub on the Isle of Wight. Lots of info on the web.

A long and chequered past, just like us!

Have you still got the pics from the Isle of Grain?

Here's a pic of the engine chugging along. 1/2 sec hand held.

Cheers,

gandolfi.
Thank you for the info...A lot of which I didn't know.
Yes I still have the B&W negs I'm sure...but no scanner that works with win10
I do remember that the guys were fighting what I thought was a loosing battle trying to patch it up between tides... lovely to know that they succeeded...if I do get my hands on a scanner I will try and upload a few.
I hope you don't mind me asking...is Gandolfi your sir name?....I was in touch with Fred and Arthur Gandolfi (Camera's) just as they retired and I ordered my 10x8 mahogany traditional...All the best Barry

gandolfi

Subscriber Member
I hope you don't mind me asking...is Gandolfi your sir name?....I was in touch with Fred and Arthur Gandolfi (Camera's) just as they retired and I ordered my 10x8 mahogany traditional...All the best Barry
Barry,

No, not my name, just a relevant nom de plume I chose to hide behind.

I bought a black 10 x 8 way back in 1970. Remember going down to Gandolfi in Peckham to collect it.

Seemed like a wooden shed with a lot of sawdust!

I think I dealt with Arthur.

I still have it, but will probably think of selling it sometime soon.

Cheers.

gandolfi.

Annna T

Thank you for the info...A lot of which I didn't know.
Yes I still have the B&W negs I'm sure...but no scanner that works with win10
I do remember that the guys were fighting what I thought was a loosing battle trying to patch it up between tides... lovely to know that they succeeded...if I do get my hands on a scanner I will try and upload a few.
Barry do you know about Vuescan ? https://www.hamrick.com
I'm still able to use a very old Epson Expression 4490 scanner on my last HP PC managed by Window10. It is well worth a try.

Another possibility for BW pictures is to photograph them with your A7. I recently got a cheap copy stand (a tripod could also work, but a geared wheel on a stand makes focusing much easier) and put a led viewing table under the camera with the negs in one of the many holder I still have around.

Barry Haines

Barry do you know about Vuescan ? https://www.hamrick.com
I'm still able to use a very old Epson Expression 4490 scanner on my last HP PC managed by Window10. It is well worth a try.

Another possibility for BW pictures is to photograph them with your A7. I recently got a cheap copy stand (a tripod could also work, but a geared wheel on a stand makes focusing much easier) and put a led viewing table under the camera with the negs in one of the many holder I still have around.
Thanks Annna (+Gandolfi), yes I do...but I haven't used Vuescan in over a decade! (now downloaded the trial to my new PC).
Just dug out my ancient old epson flatbed scanner 2003...even older than yours Annna! (Epson Perfection 3200) and to my surprise it still works!...I just spent a very tedious 3 hours searching for my Medway Queen B&W negs to absolutely no avail :(
They are still around filed away somewhere, I'm sure of that... but finding them is yet another matter altogether (Never had a filing system back then).

I did manage to find a few transparencies whilst looking through for the negs...From a long time ago of the Medway Queen when it was at Kent (Isle of Grain) stuck in the mud :(
The trouble is these images are absolutely awful quality not much helped by using a rubbish flatbed scanner with small 35mm film... but you can just see it's the Medway Queen in a sorry poor old state.
+ Badly scanned, apologies and with a trial watermark as my old Vuescan serial number no longer seems to be working (probably because I have changed me Email address about 4 times since I purchased it and am no longer registered) ...I really need to get my head around this software but it's very late here in the UK and I'm now pretty tired so these will have to do as it takes ages to run each pass with this old flatbed scanner of mine.
Above the deck and it is free of mud but you can see the rot....below the deck it was covered in mud and weed with an exposed hull.
Dropbox https://www.dropbox.com/sh/8d3yea414vwfq40/AAA7efWsepr6-bAkryLZq3Hla?dl=0
I won't bother scanning all the others as it takes ages, as I am sure you understand after seeing these...I will delete these from the Dropbox in a couple of days...Cheers Barry

gandolfi

Subscriber Member
Shot with camera in HDR mode (takes 3 (?) pics in quick succession and blends into one), and I panned rapidly from L to R during exposure.