The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony A7 native lenses

johnnygoesdigital

It's kind of an oxymoron i know, but as we wait for more lens choices, I imagine the great possibilities using the Sony A7/r. I've shot with the 55mm1.8 FE, which is a fantastic lens, but for me, the focal length is kinda boring. The 35mm f/2.8 FE is better for what I shoot, but it's kinda slow. So, there's really not a whole lot of fast glass primes for FE (native mount), which is a shame because look at the Fujifilm Xt1! There's many native lenses to choose from, with really stellar designs and focal lengths. They're also mostly backordered...of course.

I shot with both cameras and preferred the A7 because of DOF and handling and imo, much easier to use menus. If the Xt1 had a slightly taller ISO dial and no locking detents, that might have made the difference in handling because I kept inadvertently changing the shooting mode when adjusting the ISO. With Fuji's native lens choices it's hard not to consider these cameras - Sometimes it's all about the lenses.

Although, the Zeiss 24-70mm FE is a slow zoom it covers a more useful range in terms of focal length for me. I was happily surprised when looking at a 100% crop of a 24mm long exposure in harsh light, the famous Zeiss micro contrast was apparent and the detail was outstanding. This lens doesn't get a lot of love, but it's quite useful until we wait for the new native lens offerings. The Sony A7/r series of cameras are game changing, so it only makes sense to have more native lens offerings on release...right Sony?

The low res cropped photo still shows the micro contrast. It was only adjusted for exposure, shadows and slight contrast. Which, by the way, is also an example of the outstanding dynamic range of this camera.

Last edited:

iiiNelson

Comparing the FE mount lenses to the X-mount ones is an exercise in futility. The FE lenses have only been around for a little over 6 months. I believe it took about a year for Fuji to bring out more than the 18, 35, and 60 lenses. 4 or 5 years later they have a more complete system.

As for the Sony lenses I'm looking forward to the 16-35, the rumored 85/1.8, and the rumored 135/2. I find that for the medium wide to long normal ranges I prefer a great prime. If they come out with a faster and better performing 35 I will replace my current one. If not then it's at least an adequate lens. The 55/1.8 is a winner. I actually prefer it to my Leica 50 Summilux but admittedly I'm somewhat more partial to Zeiss rendering in most subject matters. I had the 24-70FE. I liked it but I didn't love it for the price. You are correct to say its a good performing lens (with software corrections.)

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Right now until a full compliment of FE glass comes out I am staying with the A glass. Given I have the A7r, A77II and the A6000 the A glass I can use on all 3 bodies. Been thinking of selling the 55mm 1.8 since when doing PR work with the A77II and A6000 it only works on one body. I may get the Zeiss 50mm 1.4 or the Sigma 50 art at least until I fully commit myself into the FE cams and mounts. This is something I have not done is fully commit to the FE since really I can't being native lenses are not here yet and I would like to see a updated A7r with the same type of focusing aids in the A77II or A6000. So right now Im riding the fence until after Photokinia than I will see what direction I need to go. I figure I can always buy back the 55 1.8 when I fully commit, I'm just waiting for the Sigma 50 Art to be released. So Im on a holding pattern

johnnygoesdigital

You're right about the Fuji Xf lenses, but even they covered good prime lengths at release of the Xpro 1
I too, am looking forward to the 16-35mm, 85 1.8 and fingers crossed for the 135/2!
I know I could adapt Nikon lenses, such as the 85mm 1.4 G or the Voightlander 15mm, or even the 21mm Ultron, but I always prefer native lenses first, if possible. Regardless, there's some really nice workarounds in the meantime.

The Sony A glass does have many nice options.

iiiNelson

Yeah I have a set of Contax Zeiss primes that didn't set me back too far on price. As Native lenses are released I may phase them out... or not. They are really good and the only mount you can get the 100/2 Planar in.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I guess my point here is with the A glass I have there is just not much that can touch it. I'm really getting the full IQ off the sensor so adapting other 3rd party lenses don't buy me much. Unless I go after some exotic glass which there is very little I'm after. I'm getting a great Zeiss look now and actually better than my D800e kit that I had.

iiiNelson

I guess my point here is with the A glass I have there is just not much that can touch it. I'm really getting the full IQ off the sensor so adapting other 3rd party lenses don't buy me much. Unless I go after some exotic glass which there is very little I'm after. I'm getting a great Zeiss look now and actually better than my D800e kit that I had.
Agree 100% about the convenience of autofocus but I paid about the same price for 4 lenses as the Sony A mount 135/1.8 (as amazing as that lens is.) I seriously considered keeping my A-mount 7-200/2.8 for that reason besides the fact that it's a great lens. There was also a LA-E4 shortage the few times I tried to buy them on impulse.

dwood

If someone told me I could only use one lens on my a7r, it would be the 55/1.8 and I'd be pretty okay with that. The 55 on the a7r is almost magic, and it's such a joy to use.

Like Hired, I'm anxious for the 16-35/f4. Kind of getting annoyed that it hasn't hit yet, frankly. Patience, I guess. I'd also like to see a fast 21 and/or 24 prime...manual focus would be fine.

iiiNelson

A fast 21 or so would make me forget about the 16-35/4. I have the 21 Ultron that adapts better to the A7 than the A7r but it works with either.