The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7R with TSE 17 and 24 color shift question

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Yea the only thing you are really doing with the Metabones adapter tripod mount is just really balancing the weight between camera and lens. In this case the lens being big and heavy that could be a benefit but the body will not move nor will the adapter.

Guy Mancuso

It's really a no brainer. But that comes from someone that really likes his Sonys but more important these Sonys are perfect for speciality lenses since you can actually see the effects right on the LCD. For me the 17 just might be more useful since I need that focal length anyway as I have a great 24 lens now plus a super wide is just a ton of fun too shoot and having tilt abilities with it are pretty exciting. Also for landscape ,product work a 85 TS would be really nice to have.

Thinking about this more a 17 TS, 24,35, 85ts and the 135 might be just the perfect landscape kit for me. Of course a 55 1.8 might just find a way into the bag. LoL

D

Deleted member 7792

Plus, Sony-Zeiss will likely never introduce native FE speciality lenses (tilt-shift, macro, super tele, etc.) because the potential market is VERY small (limited to Mancuso and a few others). The Canon TS-E lenses plus a Metabones IV adapter add some versatility (and fun) to the a7/a7R lineup.

I'm thinking WATE, 24mm TS-E, FE 24-70mm, FE 55mm, and FE 70-200mm as my basic kit. Not too heavy and only one adapted lens.

While my FE 35mm was one of the "good ones" (no decentering or color shift and sharp to the edges), I sold it after returning from the Palouse because I didn't pull it out of the bag once during the trip. A true test of any lens is whether you use it or not.

Joe

Guy Mancuso

Once you have the Metabones IV adapter than you have a whole Canon lineup that you can tap. Which renting becomes a very valued option.

D

Deleted member 7792

I've got the Metabones III, which I will put put up for sale in favor of the IV. Saves me the trouble of lining the interior with black velvet, and has a larger interior, possibly giving it an advantage with tilt-shift lenses. Having just used the Metabones III in the Palouse with the Canon 100-400mm f/4 tele, I can highly recommend it. Worked as advertised on the a7R. No problem here with tight fit.

Joe

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
In my cart at B&H,

Sony A7R body
Sony 55 FE lens
17 TSE
24 TSE2
45 TSE
90 TSE
Metabones IV

Order Total: $10,991.00

Thinking...
~~~

Do I sell my Nikkor 24 and 85 TS knowing I'd need this new kit for TS? Complicated because I like and use both on my D800 pretty frequently; so reluctant to sell but then I'd actually then own 4 lenses in the 85/90 range NOT including zooms that cover those areas. Do I forget the Sony 55 because I have 50's I like? Was thinking it would be nice to have an AF lens for the Sony, but it isn't particularly cheap.

End of day, $10K is a lot for a specialized system that is a want and not a need. A cool system to be sure though.

Guy Mancuso

Pull the trigger unload the Nikon lenses. Maybe hold on the 45 for now and get that later since you have several 50mm keep you Nikon 50 1.2 and get the Sony 55 1.8 that would be perfect. Nice looks

Look at this as your travel too the Sony 24-70 is so much smaller than your 24-105 by a country mile no less.

Guy Mancuso

To me this A7r would take over all the TS speciality stuff so I would look at the Nikon more as your general purpose stuff. So Nikon you still want your 85 1.4 let's say for more AF stuff and lenses like that for AF for now at least. If you like the Sonys than you can always build towards that later but for now think Sony manual focus, speciality shooting. Also the Sony is a awesome travel cam too so the 55 and 24-70 fit in a small bag. You can add any Nikon lens like your 105 to it as well.

Bob Parsons

Jack, there are strong rumors that upgrades to the 45 and 90 TS-Es are going to be announced at Photokina, so I'd investigate. If the business needs them now then it's a no brainer otherwise ........ it's your decision.

Bob

Guy Mancuso

Jack remember any manual aperture lens you have in Nikon you just need a dumb adapter. If your at F8 with the effects on its full brightness in finder and LCD so with those manual lenses both aperture and manual focus just a simple dumb adapter will do. It's your G glass that you need the more functional adapter but like your 28 1.4, 50 1.2 and your 105 DC are all perfect fit for the Sonys .

Guy Mancuso

Jack, there are strong rumors that upgrades to the 45 and 90 TS-Es are going to be announced at Photokina, so I'd investigate. If the business needs them now then it's a no brainer otherwise ........ it's your decision.

Bob
Nikon really needs to update the 24 and give a 17mm option. Be really nice for the Nikon folks

Uaiomex

Jack: I woud not buy the TS 45&90 this time. They are past due for years now. With all the rumors an PK in 2 months, I'd wait. I know, its only rumors but more important that being rumors, they are old designs now. I've been waiting for versions II for 3 years.
After shooting with the 17 and the 24VII, I just know I have to have them.
Eduardo

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Okay:

A7R, Metabones, 17TSE, 24TSEII

SubTotal: $7,395.00

A little more palatable.

Still thinking...

Georg Baumann

Subscriber Member
I would not like the idea of pulling an expensive mobile home with a towbar that is known for high production quality tolerances.

Just a thought Jack, given the overall package and considerable price tag, I would re consider the choice of adapter and look into Novoflex vs Metabones, or if Metabones is a must at least buy the adapter from a local shop where you can check it's fit in the shop and make sure you don't get one that "shaves some metal scrapes onto your sensor".

Overall, I think your shopping cart is holding what I'd call a dream team!!

P.S.

Under any circumstances, do not call that Italian chap! Otherwise your shopping cart will reach items limitation and your next letter in the box will be from a divorce lawyer. :ROTFL:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
LOLOL! Fortunately for the Italian chap and I, our wives know us all too well already! In fact, we regularly (like always) use each other to place the blame on a new purchase. And then on the really big purchases there's always our old standby, "Yes I know dear, but we had to have them for our upcoming workshop!"

:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

Guy Mancuso

Hey that's going to be my excuse in August . So now we jive perfectly . BTW folks we are thinking the Eastern Sierras this fall. I just need to figure the date of being a grandpa to workaround. Don't I need a lens for that too.