The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7R with TSE 17 and 24 color shift question

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
It's starting to get complicated. I may scrap the idea entirely...

... And go back to 4x5 and film.

:ROTFL:

mbroomfield

I think the 17 and 24 are a magic combo. I have the 17mm and have seen plenty of images to know the 24mm is a superb lens. Just go for it Jack.

If you want a little longer (and I agree that the 45mm is a dog, at least the copy I owned for a while) then you can get the 35mm FD T/S lens. It is VERY good. No auto aperture of course but with the type of slow photography done with these lenses I don't think it matters too much.

jagsiva

Yea the only thing you are really doing with the Metabones adapter tripod mount is just really balancing the weight between camera and lens. In this case the lens being big and heavy that could be a benefit but the body will not move nor will the adapter.
Guy, thanks for the clarification. I was under the wrong impression that this was similar to what Stefan (Hartblei) had some time ago as a tripod mount for the TSE lenses.

Professional

Good luck with your decision.

I can't wait until September when i fly to USA [PNW] and use my A7R + TS17/24 and also Samyang 14mm, stay tuned.

jlm

Workshop Member
fiddling around with the 24TSE, handheld, f8/1/800 or so; my small terrace in nyc, just to show a nice morning after plant watering

shot angled down a bit:

little lower, closer, camera level, and shifted 10:

tripod and careful viewing and tilt would have been a better example of course

Last edited:

jlm

Workshop Member
made a dumbo discovery: the 17 TSE will "focus past infinity" meaning if you set focus on the infinity stop, you have gone too far.

sometimes hard to see in the vf without the mag, even with peaking on.

the focus ring will rotate to the stop until the inf symbol is opposite the mark; however, there is a witness line i overlooked indicating the true alignment point; found the same thing on the 24tse
of course i was running out into the street between traffic to get the shot, so i just set it on the stop...
here is an example:

fortunately, i live close to this shot and can re-shoot.

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
My 17mm TSE is on its way. Can't wait. I rented the Metabones IV adapter for now since no one has one to buy. I rented it for 2 weeks so I can shoot a cockpit but rented it longer for my vacation as well to play with.

Right now trying to figure out the best solution for filters like a CP and ND Fotodiox wonderpana 145 looks pretty good. The lee filter system will vignette with 100mm filters or I could buy a extra lens cap and there is a way to get a 82mm filter but not sure if it vignettes or not.

Would love to hear what folks are doing and what they like. The wonderpana does not vignette and also gives you a hood built in to protect from stray light and protect the element. It takes 145mm filters which are big but just like to leave the hood on all the time and add filters as I need them. Makes for a big lens even bigger for transporting around..

Thoughts please on filter setups

Don Libby

I'm sorry I even opened the computer this morning! Here I was all set to pull the trigger on the Tamron 150-500 and now I'm rethinking the 17mm TSE makes more sense. The Tamron was going to be used for IR wildlife and I could change filters to fit what I was after. My thinking was to wait until the Sony mount came in and pick up the A to E mount as well as a 720 and 830 filter. All that went out the window as I figured I'd get more use out of the 17 and at the same time using the wonderpana still be able to add filters.

Crap - now I have to figure which lens I want first. As I'm writing this I also figured that I could get the Canon mount in the Tamron and only need the one adaptor.

Right now I'm also interested in hearing how well the wonderpana 145 does with filters and vignette...

Thanks guys!

Guy Mancuso

I'm sorry I even opened the computer this morning! Here I was all set to pull the trigger on the Tamron 150-500 and now I'm rethinking the 17mm TSE makes more sense. The Tamron was going to be used for IR wildlife and I could change filters to fit what I was after. My thinking was to wait until the Sony mount came in and pick up the A to E mount as well as a 720 and 830 filter. All that went out the window as I figured I'd get more use out of the 17 and at the same time using the wonderpana still be able to add filters.

Crap - now I have to figure which lens I want first. As I'm writing this I also figured that I could get the Canon mount in the Tamron and only need the one adaptor.

Right now I'm also interested in hearing how well the wonderpana 145 does with filters and vignette...

Thanks guys!
The wonderpana does not vignette at all with full tilt and shift. It actually overall looks like the best setup. Trying to figure if there ND block IR out.

jlm

Workshop Member
i'm gonna monkey around with my Lee filter setup (for MF) and what gives. maybe a lens adapter will get most of it. 17mm is w-i-d-e, so probably need the 150mm filter size; at least i can figure out the size required

Bob Parsons

i'm gonna monkey around with my Lee filter setup (for MF) and what gives. maybe a lens adapter will get most of it. 17mm is w-i-d-e, so probably need the 150mm filter size; at least i can figure out the size required
John, the Fotodiox WonderPana system for the 17mm TSE takes 145mm CPL filters Fotodiox Pro 145mm Ultra Slim Multi-Coated Circular Polarizer (MC-CPL) Filter - Pro1 Multi-Coated CPL Filter there is also a lower cost uncoated version. So 150mm filters may be an overkill.

Bob.

jlm

Workshop Member
What i am picking up shortly from B&H:

#FOWP145KC17: wonderpana system 145filter holder for 17mmTSE; which takes the:
#FOCPWP145: 145 mm circular polarizer for the above.

the #FOWP66KC17 system 66 is the same as the first item, except that it adds the ND filter bracket.;
that bracket is available separately as an accessory to the first item as well: FO66HBWPFA wide holder bracket; takes 6 X 8-1/2 filters

Guy Mancuso

John The one big question I have is the ND filters the round circular ones which BTW I just learned that you can add a extra filter to the front end via the filter threads so you can actually use a CPL and ND round filter together on top of each other. The question I have is will you get a color shift with the ND filters. Both Lee and Hitech have Pro NDs that say no color shift. The issue with the 100mm filter system from Lee and Hitech is you will get only about 50 percent of movements which i can almost deal with. I found something else out too not related but interesting is if you have the 17mm buy the 1.4 canon converter and get a 24 TSE out of it. Sure you lose one stop but I read its just as good as buying the 24 so you can save some money.

I like the the Wonderpana but if your out there getting it today, I would love to hear all about it. My canon 17mm comes tomorrow and metabones IV I rented but heck Im tempted to sell my 24 ZA lens and invest in a Canon 1.4, Metabones IV and a filter system which would work for both the 17mm and converted 24mm TSE.

Im very curious about all this but I have not used any Lee filters to date in 100mm either. We need some real guidance on the ND's as I have used one that did not cut out the IR and the images sucked.

D

Deleted member 7792

...if you have the 17mm buy the 1.4 canon converter and get a 24 TSE out of it. Sure you lose one stop but I read its just as good as buying the 24 so you can save some money.
You'll save some money, but the combo won't be as good as the 24mm TS-E. Trust me.

Joe

Guy Mancuso

Thanks Joe. I just looked further into it and a few folks said the same thing. Getting a lot of mixed signals out there on the net.

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

Joe reading more and apparently these tests I am reading where done with the Version II TC not the Version III TC which from my reading is far far better with no CA and distortion. Im tempted to try it. Maybe i should rent the TC first before I get really crazy. LOL

Issue is my need for the 24mm F2 fast lens is taken care of with my A77II and Sigma 18-35 1.8 Art which i can dedicate the A7r now to more landscape, commercial work and any speed cam I need I can just switch to the A77II which Im fine with 24mpx APS with