The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7R with TSE 17 and 24 color shift question

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
The real power of a TSE. that corner is 15 feet from the lens big rise here and 1 degree of swing towards the right. Im sharp all the way to infinity

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

Here is the one thing I need to work on when I do more than a half a degree of swing or tilt looking at the above image on the right wall its bending back a little. This in C1 is a easy fix with the keystone tool on just that one side. LR does not work like that, it corrects the total vertical. Little hard to explain but C1 you can tweak just one side of the image

Guy Mancuso

Okay I fixed it in LR but you have to be paying attention to this when you tilt when you are processing. In this case it was a easy fix but LR is tougher to fix this type of distortion or out of whack vertical lets call it.

Guy Mancuso

Okay another better example when you do a heavy tilt you can see the converging of lines pretty heavy here

Guy Mancuso

Now this is the fix. Really good to discover this and this is why you test stuff. Little vertical in LR along with a touch of rotation

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

With the proper amount of tilt on than you get the whole DOF effect. Why these type of lenses are so valuable to have.

Guy Mancuso

Just follow up on my decision for filtering this lens. I decided that I was going to shift over to the Lee 100mm system. Now with that decision it does limit before vignetting sets in to instead 12mm the limit is 5mm limit on rise or fall or shift depending on what your doing. Now my reasoning was to try and keep the system small with filters plus I can easily slap this on any other lens in my system with just changing the correct mm ring.

Now I would mostly be doing filters in landscape work which with a lens this wide doing shifts would be rare very early in the morning shooting water movement for instance and more important I still get full tilt which for me being really low to the ground would be normal and this setup would be fine. So in essence I lost 7mm worth of rise/fall or shift. I consider that not too bad a setup. Now if this was a 24mm TSE I would be more concerned about the missing 7mm but with the 24TSE the 100mm works without this MM limitation so I just be just fine when I get that lens. I got the special made adapter ring for the 17 today and just waiting on the rest of the parts. I bought Haida neutral density filters as they are glass with no color shift, Sigma 105mm CPL and the Lee Foundation holder are all on there way.

The Haida ND filter does have the foam on it but I read somewhere this was causing problems with the big stopper filter from Lee which I'm not buying, Haida has a 3.0 which I'll get next, I bought the 1.8 for now. If anyone has more info on that issue please let me know. Im thinking I may have to trim the foam down. I'll see when I get the holder what's up

Guy Mancuso

In hindsight I should have started a whole thread on its use with the A7r as it is this may get lost in time.

Guy Mancuso

Surprised no comments on image quality here. But fair warning with this lens if your kind of sloppy with your gear. Not sure I recommend this lens the front element is out there and you could damage it if your not paying attention. Its big and its heavy but for me this really does not bother me much. I'm after image quality first and foremost, not to mention having the ability with a lens to do a lot of creative shooting. I can't wait to get this in the field for some creative shooting. I know my little town the images are boring but from guy that try's a lot of lenses for me this little town becomes a standard to shoot and helps me a great deal on comparing lenses that I shot before. I have a very good memory on lenses and what they can produce anything outside lenses I can't remember anything. LOL old man disease.

But this is a very exciting lens and I am hoping the 1.4 extender will work well for now at least until I get the 24TSE. My issues for years have always been wide angles be it MF DSLR type cams or 35 mm FF type shooting they have always been a kludge on corner and border image quality. The only thing out there that is not had been a tech cam and those outstanding lenses from Rodenstock and Schnieder. But that's a very expensive solution and not in everyone's budget or way of shooting. I have never seen any super wide this good in the extreme corners, so yes you need a adapter and its manual focus and its big, delicate and heavy. But to get this type of quality than it's something to consider. I can tell you right out of the gate it's better than my Leica 19R and Zeiss 18 ZF.2 which I regard both those lenses very highly. This thing smokes them by about 2 stops in the corners. That's pretty powerful. But again this takes some care to work with. For me its a exciting challenge which I love to do is challenge myself.

Guy Mancuso

Dang that is scary and makes me want it even more.

Chris on the 17 does this test pretty much follow your experience with it.

jlm

Workshop Member
from this morning; 17mm, 150mm polarizer, max shift, single image, handheld
this lens sees a lot!