The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7R with TSE 17 and 24 color shift question

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Having even the hood only would be nice when working in the field .The front element does make me nervous.

Have not completely ruled this out. Even just shooting interiors with strobes it would be a huge help as a hood from stray light

jlm

Workshop Member
the unit does protect the lens and has a lens cap (shown) it has the potential to apply some leverage to the lens front as it is so large. i did not see any sign of vignetting and used max shift in both directions most are full frame shots; (panos had a bit of trim)

there is also another Wonderpana eattachment i may pick up tomorrow that will take 6 x 8 rectangular glass filters (size of a mini I-pad!)

Guy Mancuso

I was real close on getting it John. I still may as I know it gives full movements. Are you getting the ND as I am curious if it does or does not have any color shift.

The nice thing also John is the 6x8 glass filters you can use Lee and Formatt Hitech filters but need to look at that for sure to see if they fit correctly

Don Libby

I'd do this in a heart beat if I could only find IR filters that were that large! In the end it looks like the Hartblie will work better for me and allow me 2-seperate syatems for it to work on....

Guy Mancuso

I'd do this in a heart beat if I could only find IR filters that were that large! In the end it looks like the Hartblie will work better for me and allow me 2-seperate syatems for it to work on....
Yea but the Hartblie is not as wide as this Canon 17mm. Also Don do you think it maybe better IQ wise. I have my doubts honestly.

Seriously this lens is hot ****. LOL

jlm

Workshop Member
for my cambo rig i use the Lee wide angle compendium bellows with a variety of adapters to fit my lenses. polarizer is 105mm B+W and i use Schneider 4mm thick 4" sq glass filters, 4 x 5.6" GND); will figure a way to fit that to the 24mm lens next (looks like an 82mm wide angle Lee adapter would work, but this setup is too small for the 17mm

Don Libby

Yea but the Hartblie is not as wide as this Canon 17mm. Also Don do you think it maybe better IQ wise. I have my doubts honestly.

Seriously this lens is hot ****. LOL
Guy I understand the concerns however shooting IR is a little more forgiving. Base on previous experience with a Hartblie when I was shooting with a P45 I had no concerns on the IQ. My main thought is that the 45 is equal to 28mm on the 7R and that with shifts I'll be able to pick up wider (maybe not as wide as my 14). I'll also be able to put it on the DF so I get (I hope) the best of both worlds. While I see this sitting on the Sony most of the time it'll be nice to have it there "just in case". I've got the newer lens coming to me so later in Sept I'll be able to share.

The other rease is that I just returned the 7R to Life Pixel to be reconverted to Full Spectrum and I need to be able to find filters (82mm) to fit the lens. I could have easily gone with the Canon 24 however to the best of my knowledge there simply isn't an adaptor to fit MF - not that it would work all that well to begin with.

Okay off topic so back to the 17..

Don

Oh thanks to your test images Sandy and I are now trying to figure out a time we can spend some quality time in Cave Creek. :D

Guy Mancuso

for my cambo rig i use the Lee wide angle compendium bellows with a variety of adapters to fit my lenses. polarizer is 105mm B+W and i use Schneider 4mm thick 4" sq glass filters, 4 x 5.6" GND); will figure a way to fit that to the 24mm lens next (looks like an 82mm wide angle Lee adapter would work, but this setup is too small for the 17mm
Yea they have a 82 ring that would work fine for the 24mm. The 17 is more the problem child. Why I figured to go the 100 mm and 105 Cpl. I know I'm perfect for the 24 with no limitations but the 17 I get 5mm of rise and fall which will be fine and keeps me from buying the 150mm units. The 17 I know I can deal with that but the 24 I know I would want full movements. The one issue I was worried about was the 24mm TSE was if I stacked 2 82mm screw in filters I would run into vignetting and maybe even one for that matter, not sure. My reasoning for jumping up to 100mm. I know that will cover anything I do with the 24mm. I look at the 17 more as the interior lens and the 24mm as more the landscape lens. But I do like a super wide sometimes doing fun stuff with landscapes. I'll see how it goes with the 17 and worse case i will keep the 100mm system for 24mm and above lenses

Guy Mancuso

Good discussion folks and hopefully this helps all of us in the long run. These filters can get damn expensive.

Guy Mancuso

Up to bloody early this morning. Playing around in LR. Have a touch of swing on these. But shot around F11

chrisd

Guy - your image samples here look great. You seem to be getting a good grasp of the tilt feature for getting near and far subjects in the same focal plane, which is something I still struggle with. I have played with tilt on flat landscapes, and with the 17mm I noticed that one needs very little tilt (about 1/2 degree based on 4 ft above the ground) to make a difference. The tilt feature is much more useful on the 24mm lens, where a 1 to 1.5 degree tilt can bring near and far into focus (at 4 ft above ground). By the way, after researching the tilt feature on for my 17mm and 24mm TSE's, the best demonstration of how to use tilt is this video from Darwin Wigget of oopoomoo: youtube.com/watch?v=kOQsxbYs4gM

Guy Mancuso

Guy - your image samples here look great. You seem to be getting a good grasp of the tilt feature for getting near and far subjects in the same focal plane, which is something I still struggle with. I have played with tilt on flat landscapes, and with the 17mm I noticed that one needs very little tilt (about 1/2 degree based on 4 ft above the ground) to make a difference. The tilt feature is much more useful on the 24mm lens, where a 1 to 1.5 degree tilt can bring near and far into focus (at 4 ft above ground). By the way, after researching the tilt feature on for my 17mm and 24mm TSE's, the best demonstration of how to use tilt is this video from Darwin Wigget of oopoomoo: youtube.com/watch?v=kOQsxbYs4gM
Thanks Chris. Well being the old dog I came from 4x5 view cameras but in digital I also used tech cams quite a bit so you do get used to it. A lot of people go by numbers a great deal trying to figure out the formulas and all that. God I hate that stuff. I go by the rule of thumb here and let me say very clearly this is WHY i bought the Sony in the first place was focus peaking, magnified view and very very good Live view which makes this so much easier. I came from MF digital backs and none of this was available it was guess work and still is to a large part. But the rule of thumb says pretty much for every 30mm worth of focal length standing at a normal height than 1 degree of forward tilt should get you pretty much right on the money. Now the 17mm with the same basic guide would be a 1/2 of a degree. Now as you get lower the camera that is to the ground this will slightly increase and you get lower , now that makes sense since your angle is getting getting smaller.

I try and think like that more than putting numbers to it, frankly I am a artist not a math guy and that stuff just gets in your head and plays mind games.

So if you think more in basic angles and the general rule of for every 30mm of focal length at standard camera height like 5/9 lets say than it should be around 1 degree. If I was standing next to your right now using my hand to show how the plane of focus moves you would get it in a instant. Forget the math, go with the rule of thumb with tilt.

Good example I'm standing at 5'9" lets say( wish I could get that tall. LOL)
I put on a 30mm lens than pretty much 1 degree would change the plane of focus from right in front of the camera to infinity. I put a 60mm lens on that changes it to 2 degrees, 120 to 4 degrees

BTW Nice shots. Love that nighttime look with the perspective of this lens

Guy Mancuso

The biggest thing here with the 17mm which is NOT available in this focal length in MF tech cams is the ability to do rise and fall or shift at 12mm. In MF that would be a 23mm I believe from memory and the most you can do with that lens is 2mm, so the Canon 17mm abilities are huge by comparison. Not too mention that lens costs 7k. LOL

This is a freaking bargain in comparison