The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7R with TSE 17 and 24 color shift question

Michiel Schierbeek

Cold turkey is the best solution. Otherwise you end up with a lot of lenses and no food on the table. :lecture:
Thank you anyway for your insights. :)

Uaiomex

Thank you for your effort Guy. I one these 2 lenses and the 1.4XII. My conclusions are more or less the same. I've never noticed by eye color shifts with any of these 2 lenses, even with the converter.
Maybe my 17TS/1.4X copies are superb and my copy of 24TSE not so much but I at least in the center they look about equal sharp.
This pair of lenses are reason enough to move to the EOS system. Even with the outdated sensor. Canon knows it :-(
Eduardo

PS Forgot to say: I don't have an A7 camera. Just a 6D and before a 5DMkII

Last edited:

Baronphoto

Thanks, Guy, for all the testing and posting of the results.

There is a lot of data in this thread and it is certainly useful for me, having both a Canon 5DIII and Sony A7r.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I thought about putting this into a review and changing the title. I think I could copy it and do that too. i do have some control here. LOL

Guy Mancuso

Thanks folks. I think we have some solid answers now on what works what does not and more important how to go about it with this lens. Right now I think I will keep the whole 100mm filter kit as it works really nice and honestly when using ND filters I don't see myself doing shifting work with water type shots and I think my limits of 5mm shift either way will just fine

Guy Mancuso

great thread, Guy!!
answers my question about using a 1.4 converter :)

I made a test series with the Leica M9: the 17mm TS-E shifted max in all possible directions and overlay of real 12mm, 18mm and 21mm:
(click for larger view)

my complete album with the 17mm TS-E on Sony A7R, NEX-7 and Leica M9 is here:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/dierktopp/sets/72157633127554716/

So looks more like a 3 shot stitch equals about 12mm. Man that is extremely wide . Great lens I highly recommend it for your extreme wide. Its a keeper

dierk

So looks more like a 3 shot stitch equals about 12mm. Man that is extremely wide . Great lens I highly recommend it for your extreme wide. Its a keeper
yes, its is very wide, if you use the full shift, but the corners are getting very poor too.
If you stay at 5mm shift, you are on the save side. But I shifted to the maximum on stitched images and crop later.

Would you recommend the 1.4 converter or is a separate 24mm far better (and more expensive, but with filters)?

Guy Mancuso

I would say if your into the corners get the 24TSE and if you have the 1.4 it will work better on the 24 for a nice 33mm. I heard it works well on the 24.

Right now I will use the 1.4 on the 17mm until I can buy the 24.

dierk

talking tilt/shift:

don't forget the great PC Micro Nikkor 85mm/2.8
this is the manual version, not the PC-E!!

no problems on the A7R (Micro Nikkor 85mm/2.8 PC tilt/shift, painted with light from tablet):

one more

here on the NEX-7 (before I got the A7R)

dierk

Stefan Steib

Today I had the chance to try the Otus 1,4/85mm with our new HCam Master TS Adapter. It will allow a shift of 10mm all around -adding 20mm bidirectional either to 24mm or 36mm.

This is significantly more than the 1,4/55mm Otus which has only some few mm making if defacto only usable for tilt.

Greetings from Cologne-Photokina 2014
Stefan