The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Revised game plan.LOL

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
So I just sold my sony 55 1.8 which is a incredibly sharp lens. Now I will probably buy it back later this year as it does not work with my A77II body which is APS sensor. It works on my A7r as a 55 and on my A6000 as a 85 1.8 so really nice lens. But right now this looks very nice a Sigma 18-35 1.8 APS sensor lens which I am thinking of replacing my 16-50 2.8 with and have not sold yet and will after the show as having two cameras with a zoom lenses would be very handy for parts of the show plus I get a 1.8 very fast unheard of actually 18-35 equivalent of 26-55 on FF. The nice news it will work on my A6000 with adpter so than that cam will have a 12mm Zeiss tuoit lens and this 18-35 1.8 so that would make a very handy dandy travel cam and backup.
So if I do the math for each cam I get this

A7r a Zeiss 12mm in crop mode equals 18mm. I'll get the canon 17mm TSE that will replace this. Than I would have a 17mm, 24 f2 ZA lens, Sigma Art 35 1.4, 85 1.4 ZA, 135mm 1.8 and I will order the new Sigma 50mm 1.4 Art lens when it comes out. This will be my landscape kit / commercial work high end machine.

Okay on to the PR high speed AF kit the A77II will have the 18-35mm 1.8 kit as primary lens devoted to it. Plus I can use any ZA lens which will be a crop 1.5 times lens. So again the canon 17 TSE would work as a 24mm TSE , interesting thought. The 24,35,50,85,135 which all do not need any adapter and give me incredible range.

Than kit 3 is the A6000. Primary on that is the Zeiss 12mm which equals 18mm FF. I can also use via the adapter route the 18-35 plus all of the above lenss for the A77II.

So I get quite a range here and only 2 lenses that don't work with all three kits which is pretty dang good. But totally covered in which I carry the A6000/A77II for all PR type work and AF work I carry both bodies and lenses

For high end work I take the A7r and A6000 as backup for commercial and landscape work

So game plan sell the current 16-50 after NY. But the canon 17mm TSE and the new 50mm 1.4 Art lens which both lenses would work with all three bodies.

Now all this can change after Photokinia as I am still not fully committed to the 7 series until more glass hits the streets and hopefully a A7 series cam has the A77Iii focusing ability

tashley

Subscriber Member
Countdown to Guy getting a D810 anyone? I'm taking bets with a spread of five weeks to three months... roughly my own timescale!

:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

Guy Mancuso

Not going back. It looks like a nice cam for those invested already in Nikon but not enough meat to switch back at least for me. It still does not solve all the issues and honestly there is not one cam that will. Also if you have three that do everything at reasonable costs it makes sense. a6000 is 600 dollars, A77II is a bargain at 1200 dollars and than the A7r is really cheap for 36mpx at 2300 dollars. If I add that up its 4100 for 3 bodies. That's a bargain

Guy Mancuso

I'm at he throw away mindset on camera bodies. My thinking is it don't do what you want Sony has something that will. Nikon/Canon are not giving us these kinds of options in bodies at least at the moment. Maybe Photokinia but right now if I buy the Canon 17ts and the Sigma 50 mm Art lens they will work on anything Sony throws at us next. So I'm not tossing money out the door if something camera wise comes along.

mbroomfield

Okay on to the PR high speed AF kit the A77II will have .... So again the canon 17 TSE would work as a 24mm TSE , interesting thought ...
Guy, there's no way to use the 17mm TSE on the Sony A body (A77). you can use it on the A6000 as a 25.5mm FOV T/S lens though (as well as the A7r of course).

Guy Mancuso

Guy, there's no way to use the 17mm TSE on the Sony A body (A77). you can use it on the A6000 as a 25.5mm FOV T/S lens though (as well as the A7r of course).
Thanks Mike that would work fine. I would be carrying the A6000 along with the A7r when using that lens for sure so I could get a 24 TSE 24mpx image if i was pushed.

D&A

The issue for Guy is once he scraps his current plans when he sees what's offered at Photokina, he'll basically do the same again and again after each major trade show. Tim, would you kindly pass the popcorn?:ROTFL:

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

Godfrey

Why do I hear Joni Mitchell singing in the background? With apologies ...

"... And the seasons they go round and round
And the best performers go up and down
We're captive on the carousel of gear ... "

];-)

I'll switch away from the Sony A7/r/s when I find a better digital body to work with my Leica R lenses.

G

Guy Mancuso

I post these open minded thinking to help others make good buying decisions. I honestly think folks like to know what Pros have to face when making a buy towards what usage they are facing. If I was not a Pro I would not have the A77ii. It's a special need cam for me

D&A

Guy, I hope you realize that these postings are simply said in jest. We both understand and appreciate your sharing your logic and thought process in making purchasing decisions with regards to your intended use. By letting it all hang out for all to see, gives pause for thought for others in their own evaluations of what might or might not work for them.

Heck in fact I'd safely say most of us have often been in similar situations and contemplate updating or switching systems.

On a personal note, since this always results in large expendetures, inquiry minds want to know if you'll be giving knitting classes in making ski masks? :)

Dave (D&A)