The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Revised game plan.LOL

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Guy, I hope you realize that these postings are simply said in jest. We both understand and appreciate your sharing your logic and thought process in making purchasing decisions with regards to your intended use. By letting it all hang out for all to see, gives pause for thought for others in their own evaluations of what might or might not work for them.

Heck in fact I'd safely say most of us have often been in similar situations and contemplate updating or switching systems.

On a personal note, since this always results in large expendetures, inquiry minds want to know if you'll be giving knitting classes in making ski masks? :)

Dave (D&A)

As intended for sure.

Oh knitting classes Wednesday evenings from 6-9 pm. Bring materials from another country so they can't be traced. ROTFLMAO

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Not going back. It looks like a nice cam for those invested already in Nikon but not enough meat to switch back at least for me. It still does not solve all the issues and honestly there is not one cam that will. Also if you have three that do everything at reasonable costs it makes sense. a6000 is 600 dollars, A77II is a bargain at 1200 dollars and than the A7r is really cheap for 36mpx at 2300 dollars. If I add that up its 4100 for 3 bodies. That's a bargain
Exactly! Some camera bodies with 99% of the abilities 99% of photographers need, are becoming very cheap, to a point that the price of the body isn't an important cost factor anymore. My OM-1 was at least $250 in 1974. That's $1,261 in 2014 dollars, twice as much as the A6000. Then I had to buy film and develop it. Cameras like the A6000 and A7 should make the guys at Canikon HQ pee their pants, but fortunately for them, most people don't know about these cameras. That won't last forever though, and if they don't change their ways, they will most certainly go the way of Kodak.

msadat

i also ordered the sigma 18-35 and selling the 16-50, is so damn good but big. do have the 50 art also on order

Slingers

I like reading your posts Guy partly out of interest in your thought process but also to see the reactions of the other posters.

tashley

Subscriber Member
I'm totally guilty too. If there was a brothel for gear sluts, Guy and I would be the busiest girls....

Don Libby

Just read this and my head hurts.

Any popcorn left Tim? :angel:

I also wonder how many camera dealers subcribe to Guys posts ...

Ben Rubinstein

Ben, The lens is designed for APS-C sensors.
So was the Touits that Guy has been using on FF and the Sony 10-18mm which seems to work from 14mm on FF.

Heck if it can work on FF which is likely given the aperture, I'd love to see what range is available and with what quality.

Don Libby

I tried it out shortly after getting the A7r and it worked well in crop mode. You have a choice, shooting in non crop and then cropping into the image gives you more resolution (megapixels) or just shoot in crop and let the camera do it for you with slightly less megapixel file.

Now all that is needed is a killer cam from Canon. They've been awfully quiet recently... and it would nicely wind up Guy. And the could get away with changing systems without going to Nikon! :-D

//Juha

Guy Mancuso

The 18-35 came a day early. It looks to be a excellent lens. Its kind of big and heavy though. But it's certainly a ART series lens so for APS sensor cams looks to be very exciting. I'm hoping to have some images up by Sunday. The intent here is replace the Sony 16-50 2.8 DT lens and I will sell that after my NY gig next week. But having two zooms will be useful for the show and also get a chance to use the 70-200 2.8 ZA with SSM as I rented that for my gig. I have a second shooter help me so will be using the A77II and the A6000 as well. The A7r gets a rest. Lol

Have to admit having 3 bodies is very useful. They each have there roll.

I will try the Sigma though on the A7r just for fun and see what kind of coverage it has on a FF cam.

Guy Mancuso

Oh and seriously there is nothing compelling coming out of Canon and Nikon camps. Now maybe Photokinia will change that but so will Sony. Switching systems as I have done several times is nothing more than a major hassle and just sucks up your cash. So a change takes a serious amount of innovation and technology to even consider it. Not to mention a bank roll. Believe me last thing on my mind is too switch once again. Seriously I wish they did not even put names on these things as brand loyalty to me is going down a very narrow path.