The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony A7R + new Canon 16-35 f4L IS

chrisd

Here are some shots I managed to get while out for an evening stroll in Indianapolis this week. All are hand-held except the last two building shots which were tripod-mounted.

Lawrence B

This appears to be an excellent lens adapted to the A7r. What is your assessment of corner perfromance at the lower FLs on the A7r? Thanks in advance.

turtle

I'm interested to know too. The Canon is a small package compared to my Tokina!

Lawrence, FWIW, I have shot my A7R and A7 on the Tokina 16-28 f2.8 monster and both are spectacular across the frame, right into the far corners. I bet the new Canon is the same, only from a smaller, lighter package. The Tokina zoom is the best UWA I have put on the A7R bar none. Beats all my legacy lenses and Leica M glass easily.

D

Deleted member 7792

Here are some shots I managed to get while out for an evening stroll in Indianapolis this week. All are hand-held except the last two building shots which were tripod-mounted.
Your results look very promising. It would help to have some EXIF data with your shots (focal length, aperture) to help us evaluate alternatives. I've been using the Leica WATE as my super-wide and am quite satisfied, but I'm always looking for the "next best thing". A native FE Zeiss super-wide zoom has been rumored but not officially announced. IF it becomes a reality AND is as sharp as the Canon corner-to-corner AND is priced in the same range...

Joe

chrisd

This appears to be an excellent lens adapted to the A7r. What is your assessment of corner perfromance at the lower FLs on the A7r? Thanks in advance.
Lawrence, I found the corner sharpness at 16mm quite good, much better than my Samyang 14mm which I have since sold, and almost as good as my unshifted 17mm and 24mm TS-E's. I have not done any scientific comparison or side-by-side tests but it looks very good in real world shooting situations. I doubt the upcoming FE 16-35/4 will be able to live up to this lens in terms of performance, based on the mediocre FE 24-70.

Your results look very promising. It would help to have some EXIF data with your shots (focal length, aperture) to help us evaluate alternatives. I've been using the Leica WATE as my super-wide and am quite satisfied, but I'm always looking for the "next best thing". A native FE Zeiss super-wide zoom has been rumored but not officially announced. IF it becomes a reality AND is as sharp as the Canon corner-to-corner AND is priced in the same range...

Joe
Joe, I have posted all these files and some newer files (all at original resolution) over at my flickr site, with full EXIF data there.

In terms of performance, on the A7R, it might be up there with the WATE (I can only speculate on that :) ), but size may be an issue for some.

chrisd

Here are two more samples, posted a little larger here. The first one is at 35mm and is not cropped, and as you can see the sharpness into the near corners is outstanding. I think it rivals the FE 35mm prime at this focal length. The second one is at 16mm, and while the corners are not quite as sharp as longer focal lengths, they are very good, and there is no smearing or wild distortion in the corners. Both are handheld with IS on.

ƒ/8.0 35.0 mm 1/100 ISO200:

ƒ/8.0 16.0 mm 1/80 ISO400:

D

Deleted member 7792

Lawrence, I found the corner sharpness at 16mm quite good, much better than my Samyang 14mm which I have since sold, and almost as good as my unshifted 17mm and 24mm TS-E's. I have not done any scientific comparison or side-by-side tests but it looks very good in real world shooting situations. I doubt the upcoming FE 16-35/4 will be able to live up to this lens in terms of performance, based on the mediocre FE 24-70.

Joe, I have posted all these files and some newer files (all at original resolution) over at my flickr site, with full EXIF data there.

In terms of performance, on the A7R, it might be up there with the WATE (I can only speculate on that :) ), but size may be an issue for some.
Thanks Chris. I viewed the files at 100% and they're tack sharp corner-to-corner. I'm impressed. Compared to the WATE, even with a wash on sharpness, the Canon has AF, IS and active coupling through the Metabones III or IV adapters. This lens is definitely "in the zone."

Here are two more samples, posted a little larger here. The first one is at 35mm and is not cropped, and as you can see the sharpness into the near corners is outstanding. I think it rivals the FE 35mm prime at this focal length. The second one is at 16mm, and while the corners are not quite as sharp as longer focal lengths, they are very good, and there is no smearing or wild distortion in the corners. Both are handheld with IS on.
Both excellent examples, and clearly show the capabilities of this lens. I sold my FE 35mm prime, so knowing that this zoom "rivals" the prime is good news. Thanks for sharing your results, and for making full-sized JPEGs available.

Joe

ferrellmc

Very nice Chrisd, edges look like they are holding good detail. Nice contrast and oooohh that dynamic range of the A7R is impressive.