The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma 18-35 1.8 zoom for APS

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Can you take a picture of what this lens looks like mounted on the A7r? I'm just curious to see how large it is in relation to the camera. Might be a viable wide option. Makes you hope that Sigma brings out some native FE lenses for sure.
did the same thing yesterday with the a7ii and sigma, shooting a family gathering. a really nice combo, you get, is mega pixel, sharp lens, fast af camera.
Yea this is a winning package for the A77Ii. I'm going to sell the 16-50 and maybe my Sigma 35 1.4 and get the new Sigma 50mm Art lens. I can use that on all there bodies. I'm going to decide all this in early August when I have some money to make a few lens moves. We may hear more info from Sony by than.

Slingers

Wow, a FF 28-35/1.8!!!

I know this lens is a great apsc lens as well but I can't get over the FF discovery and can't wait to see more examples.

Ben Rubinstein

Wow, a FF 28-35/1.8!!!

I know this lens is a great apsc lens as well but I can't get over the FF discovery and can't wait to see more examples.
I'm wondering whether a 28-35mm at that size is worth the f1.8, especially when the corners don't get ok till 30mm. I'd say just get the 35mm f1.4 ART which is beyond good if you want to use it on FF. There are probably several decent fast 35mm lenses out there actually which are not so big either.

Slingers

I'm wondering whether a 28-35mm at that size is worth the f1.8, especially when the corners don't get ok till 30mm. I'd say just get the 35mm f1.4 ART which is beyond good if you want to use it on FF. There are probably several decent fast 35mm lenses out there actually which are not so big either.
I agree the 35/1.4 and your feet is probably the better option. I think it's great when options like this turn up unexpected like the SEL1018.

f8orbust

Thanks for posting Guy, very interesting.

Whilst I know these are only small .jpegs for the web, if you'd posted a number of the images in the MF section, I wouldn't have blinked - probably due to the corner performance of the lens, which looks spectacular for a WA/zoom.

The quality and innovation that's taking place in the small-sensor segment continues to amaze.

Guy Mancuso

What's interesting is at 18 mm the corners are great at f4 the 24 and 35 are the same at 2.8. There very good and the a is perfect at 5.6 but the difference between F4 across the board and 5.6 only a pixel peeper could see it as it's that small a difference. Now maybe because it's a APS sensor but I have not seen a lens in this range period that performs like this at these apertures. Even a tech lens comes home around 5.6. I can say this without a doubt best zoom in the market for APS and I'll go out in a limb here better than almost any zoom in 35mm world full frame or not. Even at 2.8 you may not see much if a difference and no field curvature issues either. Now obviously it's a 26 to 55 lens in Full frame world but still it's that damn good

Guy Mancuso

I'm going to try it today on the A7r and this time take the hood off just in case. I want to find the vignette break point and check sharpness as well .

Guy Mancuso

Frankly as Sigma keeps turning out these ART lenses the rest if the market needs to watch there backs as these have claw marks on Nikon canon sony and the rest of the pack.

Guy Mancuso

Okay did a quick test with the A7r its already too hot outside at 8:30 am for anything serious. But this gives you a idea of what you can pull off or not. Shot these at 5.6 without my hood

Guy Mancuso

So my theory is this you can pull off 28mm just don't have very important corners. But 30mm and above is totally usable.

Nice thing is if you have the lens on hand anyway than for someone like me with a A7r, A77II and A6000 it makes my A7r a viable cam for the lens with limitations of course. Its not small though and the 35mm 1.4 Art lens dwarfs it. But its a zoom that covers a decent range and being so fast at 1.8 eliminates some primes. For the A77II its a no brainer for me.

Rawfa

It´s an awesome zoom alright. There have been rumors that Sigma was working on a 24-70mm f2.0 for FF (or was it 28-75mm?...cannot remember).

Guy Mancuso

Well all I can say is this is better than a lot of primes out there. Worth buying, I may just keep the 16-50 DT as its smaller and just dedicate that to the A6000 with adapter which gives me more range 24-75 and its not too big and heavy for travel plus the 12mm might just be a good combo( reason being is the next best thing is a E 16-70 F4 which has mixed reviews plus it cost a grand). This Sigma lens may serve the A7r but certainly dedicated to the A77II. The only real downfall on it is that its no compact lens. LOL

BTW just got the Sony 70-200 2.8 ZA SSMII lens from Lensrentals for the next 10 days. On the A77II the AF is blazing fast and continuous focus not sure there are any peers out there the way it tracks across the frame. Its a sports shooters dream, looking forward too logging about 10k images with it. Plus the vertical grip is maybe the best ergos I have ever used. Im hoping this tech winds up in the next A7, A7r II versions. Im all over it if they do.

Walter K

I have this optics now since 2 weeks and can say it is fantastic! :thumbs:

Bought it together with the new A77II.

Soon will post some photos from a Venice-Italy trip on my website.

Rawfa

This is an old thread but I was curious if the 18-35mm 1.8 makes use of all the phase detect AF power the A77II has to offer. I have a bunch of cool minolta lenses too, so it would be good to know.