The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A99 102 multi-point compatibility?

Rawfa

Hi guys,

I was trying to find out which lenses are compatible with the A99´s 102-point multi-point but I´ve only managed to find an article from 2012 saying it´s only compatible with these SAL2470Z, SAL2875, SAL50F14, SAL300F28GII, SAL70400G, SAL50050F4G . I understand there has been one or two firmware upgrades since then.

Does anyone have a list of compatible lenses?

Rawfa

That's what I really really hate about Sony. They release cameras that could be the best out there but they cripple them so you will only be able to use their most expensive lenses.

ecsh

Only the newer lenses would have the electronics in them to support what was put in the new camera body. The older lenses would not have even dreamed of the tech that is in the bodies today.
Nothing is stopping you from using an older lenses on the body, so the body is not crippled by Sony at all. Like all manufacturers, things get better, and older products do not have the latest tech.

Rawfa

This would make sense if only Sony wouldn´t update their older prime lenses with firmware but the the lower models.

Rawfa

I have another doubt regarding focus.

I was doing some tests and while I'm shooting in auto focus mode if I click on the magnifier button it does magnify the image but it won't let me manually focus. If I click on the AF/MF it lets me manually focus but it won't let me magnify. I'd like to use both without having to set the focus mode to manual (which is possible on the NEX/FF E-mount cameras).