The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

50mm 1.4 - Sony or Minolta?

Rawfa

Hey guys,

I'm getting cheap fast 50mm for my A99 and I was wondering if I should get a Sony or a Minolta. I've read somewhere that the 101 focus point on the A99 supports the Sony, but I cannot confirm this information. The Minolta most likely won't support it.

Price wise I can find the Minolta considerably cheaper than the Sony.

What do you guys think?

pegelli

Don't think it's compatible because the Sony lens is just a re-badged Minolta. Optically they're all nearly identical (maybe some coating changes, but that's all)

I just love my old Minolta 50/1.4 with an all metal construction and built in hood. For me no need to move to the Sony (to the contrary)

Rawfa

Pegelli, you mean it's not compatible with the 101 af points, right? Both lenses DO work with the A99's regular AF, right?

fotografz

Hey guys,

I'm getting cheap fast 50mm for my A99 and I was wondering if I should get a Sony or a Minolta. I've read somewhere that the 101 focus point on the A99 supports the Sony, but I cannot confirm this information. The Minolta most likely won't support it.

Price wise I can find the Minolta considerably cheaper than the Sony.

What do you guys think?
IMO, neither.

No SSM, 7 blade aperture instead of 9 … and if you get it, pay attention to the focus accuracy which may need tuning using the in-camera +/- lens adjustments. (does the Minolta version even support that feature?)

As you mentioned, I'd also dig deeper into whether the older Minolta version has data bus support for the full AF array.

I'd also be wise to see whether either of them support the dual AF feature of the A99.

The Sigma 50/1.4 may not be any faster at AF, but many feel it is optically superior to the aging optics of the Minolta/Sony 50/1.4.

It isn't that it is a bad lens, just that a 50mm should be a standout even wide open, and I don't think these choices are. Especially considering you are putting it on a FF 24 meg A99 … and the next Alpha SLT flagship promises to be even more demanding.

Unfortunately, the A mount 50/1.4 with SSM and 9 diaphragm blades is the recent Zeiss version that is comparitively priced somewhere in the stratosphere. I now have that lens and use it on the A99 and FF 36 meg A7R via the LAEA-4 SLT adapter … it holds up quite well even at 36 meg.

- Marc

Malina DZ

Rawfa, Minolta 50/1.4 & Minolta 50/1.4 RS are not D type lenses and they support neither 101 AF points or AF-D function in a99. I'd get Sony version for a99.

Rawfa

Rawfa, Minolta 50/1.4 & Minolta 50/1.4 RS are not D type lenses and they support neither 101 AF points or AF-D function in a99. I'd get Sony version for a99.
I'm confused....DOES the Sony 50mm 1.5 support either 101 AF points or AF-D function in a99?

Rawfa

The only information I´ve found was second hand press release re-posted by several website saying that the only lenses that support support AF-D and 101 point AF are the SAL2470Z, SAL2875, SAL50F14, SAL300F28GII, SAL70400G, SAL50050F4G.

If the Sony 50mm 1.4 does support the 101 AF points then I´m getting it. I don´t care about ultra 100% corner to corner sharpness.

Here is where I got the press release info from:

Only six lenses compatible with the A99 102 AF system (support for six more coming) | sonyalpharumors

Want to Use The 102 AF Points on The Sony A99? Well You Better Own One of These 6 Lenses! - The Phoblographer

Only 6 Sony lenses will be compatible with the 102 AF points on the a99 | Photo Rumors

102 Autofocus Points on Sony A99 Only Compatible with 6 Lenses At Launch

How about heritage lenses from Minolta for the new Sony A99?

pegelli

Pegelli, you mean it's not compatible with the 101 af points, right? Both lenses DO work with the A99's regular AF, right?
Yes, they both work with all the standard AF functions, no problems there.

Sony and Minolta 50mm F1.4 are similar, but not identical.

DPReview once measured both.

dpreview.com - Lens Review - Fullscreen

Sony is significantly sharper @ F1.4 but has more CA.
Is this caused by a different design, or might it be just sample variation?

Rawfa

When I set the A99 to AF-D does it start using the 101 AF points or do I have to do something else?