The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Final version: HCam Master TS 14-24mm

Stefan Steib

Hi AnnnaT

Well not really. The lens is by far the heaviest part.
For hiking and usage on a minimum setup use the HCam Mirex 306gr
As soon a you want to do Macro or more precise stuff on the road add the HCam TS Rail. That will do for most of the people and tasks.
But those who are into pro photography, Bracelets, Watches or other small stuff will love the full setup with the Q-Rail as a Cross positioning adding to the shift on camera to precisely stay in Layout.

Here a (nearly final) look to the new Mirex-Rail connector

Annna T

Hi AnnnaT

Well not really. The lens is by far the heaviest part.
For hiking and usage on a minimum setup use the HCam Mirex 306gr
As soon a you want to do Macro or more precise stuff on the road add the HCam TS Rail. That will do for most of the people and tasks.
But those who are into pro photography, Bracelets, Watches or other small stuff will love the full setup with the Q-Rail as a Cross positioning adding to the shift on camera to precisely stay in Layout.

Here a (nearly final) look to the new Mirex-Rail connector
I see, thank you for all the info and for your patience.

VeloDramatic

Hi Stefan,

This looks terrific. Can you answer a few quick questions. The new photos you promised to post will probably answer them but here goes...

1. Is my basic understanding correct that the HCam/Mirex EOS NEX TS Adapter combines a new, more flexible design for your previous proPsolution TSE Clamp (now allowing for vertical shifting) with a Mirex TS adapter?

2. Would this single component allow TS operation with all Canon TS lenses (in particular the 24mm and 17mm)? Would the Mirex TS adapter part of the component have to be removed when mounting these TS lenses?

3. Would a Zeiss 21mm distagon (canon mount) work with this single component and could you estimate the shift tilt capability?

4. I've got an upcoming shoot in Scotland mid September could I expect to receive the part by then?

5. Is the German VAT charged on U.S. sales?

And thank you for accepting my Linkedin invite the other day.

::Michael

Stefan Steib

Hi Michael

1.Q. Is my basic understanding correct that the HCam/Mirex EOS NEX TS Adapter combines a new, more flexible design for your previous proPsolution TSE Clamp (now allowing for vertical shifting) with a Mirex TS adapter?

1.: The TS-E Clamp is a complete different product and still valid for usage with the Canon TS-E´s.

2.Q Would this single component allow TS operation with all Canon TS lenses (in particular the 24mm and 17mm)? Would the Mirex TS adapter part of the component have to be removed when mounting these TS lenses?

2.:The benefits /limitations of the Canon TS-Es are as they are, a double shift - maybe even an add up is not really workking, also there is no electronic connection on the HCam Mirex adapter.

3.QWould a Zeiss 21mm distagon (canon mount) work with this single component and could you estimate the shift tilt capability?

3.: Yes of course you can put it on, the Tilt is most likely fully usable, maybe also some shift, it depends. A good starting point is usability of 35mm lenses on an HCam B1 or and Alpa FPS. Rule of thumb: as closer the back lens sits to the flange of the lens and as higher the aperture goes (large lens openings better) the more likely the lens will also perform with a larger image circle

4.Q I've got an upcoming shoot in Scotland mid September could I expect to receive the part by then?

4.:we will have some few pieces ready the week before Photokina, that is around the 10th. These are for the demo and journalists, but we probably could manage to get one from there.

5. Is the German VAT charged on U.S. sales?
5.: No- export is always without VAT - inside the EU you have to supply a national EU VAT Number , then you can also deduct VAT. All other countries
are free, we do export papares at a professional customs agent, so also at your import that normally goes smoothly. But: National taxes and Customs may apply.

Regards
Stefan

VeloDramatic

Hi Stefan,

Thank you for the clarifications, the additional photograph definitely helped. It's clear that your solution targets the Nikon 14-24 and the exceptional performance and flexibility of that lens. Over time, photographers can and will experiment with other glass like the Zeiss 21mm distagon I mentioned, to ascertain the full performance envelope (tilt and shift) with those lenses.

Perhaps it was clear from my questions that I was hoping that the central Master TS component would act as an enhanced TS-E clamp... the rotational functionality providing the vertical shifting capability directly over the tripod head missing from ProPsolution. As you pointed out a Canon TS-E can be attached to the Master TS but of course, the duplicate TS movements would not be additive. Obviously pairing the Canon TS-E lenses with the Mirex adapter is redundant but would it introduce any additional optical compromises assuming the Mirex adapter movements were not used? I realize that this is a pretty extravagant route to travel to get an improved clamp.

Given that I'm a Canon shooter making the investment in the Nikon 14-24 is a more involved decision (though I fully appreciate Canon has nothing to match the 14-24 and jealously wish they did). I won't take the thread further off topic. I look forward to some landscape/architectural examples using the 14-24 as you prepare for Photokina. That will help my decision as I weigh all the costs and benefits.

thank you

::Michael

Massimo

at 18mm you can get around 10mm shift.
at 24mm that´s still about 7mm
and at 14mm we have still about 4-5mm
Full 10 Degrees tilt work at all focal lengths

Easy to use and see as the electronic viewfinder shows you the borders of the image circle pretty exactly even fully stopped down.

Regards
Stefan
Stefan,

should one decide to mount an unmodified Nikon 14-24mm on your adapter, what would be the available movements before vignetting?

Regards,
Massimo

Massimo

Stefan,

thank you for your reply ... the image you provided clearly shows why you had to remove the Nikon 14-24mm hood.

As I already own a nice Zuiko Shift 35mm f/2.8 lens, working perfectly on my A7 via a Novoflex adapter, do you think the HCam-Mirex Rotator can be used to add tilt and parallax-free operation to it?

I'd only need a good quality OM/EOS adapter to complete the setup (right?), but sadly Novoflex doesn't offer any so I am looking at offerings from Fotodiox Pro and Rayqual ... would anyone kindly share experiences with OM/EOS adapters?

Regards,
Massimo

Stefan Steib

Massimo

there is no secret miracle happening with the HCam Mirex.
What is allowing or limiting the usability is the distance from the back lens to the mount of the lens. as close as possible will be the best results.
F1,2/1,4 or other bright -especially tele- lenses will do best.
Zooms do astonishingly well - again if they are IF or floating elements and the back lens stays close to the bajonett mount.
Macros are the same. e.g. the Mamiya 645 120mm Macro is IF, so the back lens will not move away from the bajonett.

Keep this in mind and probe yourself through the/your lens portfolio.
Many lenses which are totally unexpected do work very well. Others which are highly hoped to work will fail.

Example for that: the new Otus 1,4/55mm. It has an imagecircle which is EXACTLY like the format it is built for. maybe 3mm around 24x36mm - finish.

My Tip: old Leica R glass is gorgeous, they have Huge image circles !
The old Nikon Micro Nikkor 2,8/60mm AF-D is phantastic - huge image circle.

Greetings from Germany
Stefan

Massimo

Massimo

What is allowing or limiting the usability is the distance from the back lens to the mount of the lens. as close as possible will be the best results.
Zooms do astonishingly well - again if they are IF or floating elements and the back lens stays close to the bajonett mount.
Macros are the same. e.g. the Mamiya 645 120mm Macro is IF, so the back lens will not move away from the bajonett.

Keep this in mind and probe yourself through the/your lens portfolio.
Many lenses which are totally unexpected do work very well. Others which are highly hoped to work will fail.

Example for that: the new Otus 1,4/55mm. It has an imagecircle which is EXACTLY like the format it is built for. maybe 3mm around 24x36mm - finish.

My Tip: old Leica R glass is gorgeous, they have Huge image circles !
The old Nikon Micro Nikkor 2,8/60mm AF-D is phantastic - huge image circle.

Greetings from Germany
Stefan
Sadly, no Leica glass here, R or otherwise. I have the AF-D Micro Nikkor though, so your last tip is VERY interesting.

Going back to the Hcam-Mirex Rotator, what are the maximum displacements (rise / fall, or generally speaking horizontal / vertical shifts) allowed by your adapter?

From what I gather in the net, the Zuiko Shift 35mm should have a really big image circle at around f/11 (where its performance tops), and it would be nice to be able to use it all, courtesy of your Hcam-Mirex ;)

Massimo

Ladies and Gentlemen -
Orders are taken, Pricelist attached, I will post tonight or tomorrow some more images explaining what the exact change to the pictured version is.
I added an additional interface/Arca,RRS,Novoflex compatible clamp/plate to the Mirex rotating foot, so all parts can be used as a unit or separately in various combinations

Greetings from Germany
Stefan

Stefan,

I will likely be placing an order for the Hcam Mirex Eos/Nex Rotator, but since I will be testing a number of Nikon lenses on it I wonder if you would agree to ship the rotator alongside the Novoflex EOS/NIK-NT adapter. In the affirmative, what would be the price of the combo?

Greetings from Italy :)
Massimo

mbn

Massimo

How would adding a teleconverter change up things?
Hasselblad HTS 1.5 in my mind...

Stefan Steib

To all people interested in the Adapter/System - please don´t post here, but directly send me an email to [email protected] and I will answer all your questions. If you are impatient, just call me +49 8381 4879337
Some more info - as this was unfortunately posted to an older thread about the Master TS - you can find sample images in full res 36 Mpix on my Flickr account

https://www.flickr.com/photos/hartblei/16038687857/

Greetings from Germany
Stefan

Annna T

To all people interested in the Adapter/System - please don´t post here, but directly send me an email to [email protected] and I will answer all your questions. If you are impatient, just call me +49 8381 4879337
Some more info - as this was unfortunately posted to an older thread about the Master TS - you can find sample images in full res 36 Mpix on my Flickr account

https://www.flickr.com/photos/hartblei/16038687857/

Greetings from Germany
Stefan
Why can't people post here ? And exchange their experience ? May be things are clear for you, but for many it isn't, yet before disturbing you with basic questions, why not use a forum with more experienced users ? personally, I owned an Arcaswiss 6x9mm for film and I have been reading all these threads in the hope to find a (cheap) way to replace that using the A7r. I'm still in the dark.. (I don't want to buy a Nikon lens).

Stefan Steib

Hi Anna

"Why can't people post here ? And exchange their experience ?"

I am speaking of people who are somehow not finding the stuff that I have already posted and ask things again and again, so it may be tiring for aware readers which just followed the full thread.

I would be glad if my Users of the new system would post their experiences here intensely, but they are all working Pros who are on tight schedules and don´t post much in Forums. So I try to fill the gap, admitting that also my time resources are limited, I also write now as a journalist in german digit! magazine and besides organizing the production of the stuff I sell, I still devellop the next new things to come (wait for late spring, this time I will not do a prepost about devellopment as this obviously irritates some people.....).

I have no problem to answer here in the forum if people preferre, but I think it is faster for interested buyers to call me and ask directly what they want to know. And in advance: we have stock, all is running as planned and production is even ramped up now.

Greetings from Germany
Stefan

daf

OK Stefan so here we are,
Even after my bad experience i could be interested to buy this new version if you can answer my following question:

-Can we change ts-e lenses (for exemple switichning in field from 24tse to 17tse) whitout having to unscrew the hcam tripod foot from the Hcam shift/tilt adapter ?

-Can you provide us the shift possibility with TSE lenses (you said in the other post that you test them recently)

If you answer clearly to those questions, and if it is fine for my need then i'll make the bank transfert right now!

mbroomfield

Perhaps create a FAQ, especially if you already have a list of questions that are re-asked, then you point to the FAQ and don't have to type so much.

daf

Stefan,
I'm a working pro photographer in architecture...i'm quite buisy but i would be glad to make a review of this adapter here...

So please reply to my question regarding the TSE lenses(see to post up)..

Stefan Steib

David

At least now you found the new thread. So I do a crosspost (apologies to the admins - but here on request) :

Added: The lens foot is longer: no interference to the TS-E´s now !
second: even as the HCam Master TS was never built for the usage with the TS-E´s you can use at least the same amount or more with both
Shift and tilt - Plus you can do shifts with 2 directions (for stitching with a rise):
Remember that at the moment you have to carry a canon Body to stop down the TS-E´s with the aperture buttonpressed, when you unmount the lens.

I have posted this already several times, but here again:
14-24mm modified by HCam - usable sharpness in 24x36 Landscape mode
14mm: 2-3mm horizontal, 4mm vertical shift
17mm: 8mm " , 10mm "
20mm: 12mm " , 15mm "
24mm: 10mm " , 12mm "

You can get combined and usable Shifts with a second Mirex EOS/M645 or P645 or Blad-V of up to 30mm !! Depending on the lens. example: Mamiya 645 120mm Macro 28mm of shift- Pinsharp as this is not the border of the image circle but the opening in the adapters limiting the shift.

I use my remounted Canon FD L 1,2/85mm for shifts up to 10mm vertical !
Otus 1,4/85mm has also 10mm vertical !

And so on. Take a look at the lenses which work for HCam B1 or Alpa FPS and you will very well see which are good to go or which won´t.
I had published a list some years ago here as a pdf

http://www.hartblei.de/downloads/LensList-HCam.pdf

Regards
Stefan