The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Final version: HCam Master TS 14-24mm

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
The unique feature of this workflow is the ZOOM with all the other focal length possibillities and the fact that nobody needs all the shift available all the time.
Precisely! And then since I own mostly Nikon lenses, the unit is small enough on its own for me to leave it permanently attached to the Sony as my normal Nikon to E mount adapter with a convenient tripod foot and the added benefit of shifts/tilts when I need them!

Stefan Steib

Yup ! I think the working Pro´s are pretty fast seing what this means once they put their hands on once. And - I am not really keen on the maximum shift for all lenses. Even more interesting is the tilt which is working perfectly on about ANY lens and especially in combination with Macro lenses and the TS Rail will be Killer setup for e.g. bracelets, watches and many more small stuff images. Further: Tilting the superwides will result in unique sharpness image planes unseen before , just imagine what this will mean for advertising photography - put a bicycle, cars or a motobike to any location, run sharpness to a diagonal perspective on this and nevertheless get a blurred background separating the product from the background at dynamic angles and views ? Stuff that needed a viewcamera before, if it even could be done with it ?

There is a world of new images waiting !

Greetings from Germany
Stefan

Jérôme.E

As soon as I can do it with some nice weather and according spare time I will do some stitched images and post them on Flickr. full res.

The 2nd adapter will be shown when it´s ready. Obviously some people get confused when I show preliminary stuff. So - patience please.

And Geralds results are exactly as I described them: at 14mm there is not so much movement - maybe 3-4mm of shift /rise - but this alone is already a worlds first at this focal range for 24x36 ! at 20mm the shift is 15mm, which is more than the Canon 17 or 24mm, going down again to about 12mm at 24mm.

The unique feature of this workflow is the ZOOM with all the other focal length possibillities and the fact that nobody needs all the shift available all the time.
Most people just use several mm of rise for single shots.
This is what this system was built for. Fast, conveniant and for working pros doing jobs in the field, not for trying to test how much shifting and stitching can be done before it starts vignetting.

The idea that a combination of shift and rise and stitch at maximum movements are always necessary at these focal lengthes is ..... well.......
unrealistic. I never stated this was the purpose.
This was built to work, not to play.

Greetings from Germany
Stefan
Stefan,

I'm a working pro and I think that if your - sound nice - product can act like a Dslr techcam (one shot rise/shift/tilt AND multi rear stitching) with a lot of lenses it is a very good news for many...don't you think? So please don't be offended Stefan, just be happy you've done a great job on this.
I don't care about having the max rise+shift for ALL my WA shots but as I may do it with your HCam I'd just like to see how (on the field) it works if needed, so it could be nice for us (future customers) to get feedbacks (video-pictures) on this feature (rear stitching) and why not others, this is all I was asking for - I understand you may be busy so I can be patient.

Many MFDB TechCam owners appreciate their toys also for this unique feature (rear stitching). May be you should not undervalue it for your potential clients?

This was built to work, not to play
I love being a Pro Photographer because I also/often/always CAN play at work... not given to everyone's job :grin:

Regards,
Jérôme

daf

Yup ! I think the working Pro´s are pretty fast seing what this means once they put their hands on once. And - I am not really keen on the maximum shift for all lenses. Even more interesting is the tilt which is working perfectly on about ANY lens and especially in combination with Macro lenses and the TS Rail will be Killer setup for e.g. bracelets, watches and many more small stuff images. Further: Tilting the superwides will result in unique sharpness image planes unseen before , just imagine what this will mean for advertising photography - put a bicycle, cars or a motobike to any location, run sharpness to a diagonal perspective on this and nevertheless get a blurred background separating the product from the background at dynamic angles and views ? Stuff that needed a viewcamera before, if it even could be done with it ?

There is a world of new images waiting !

Greetings from Germany
Stefan
Hi Stefan, definitly you need to improve your communication ;)
Probably pro maybe "knows once they put their hand on ones", but you know, most people have to understand first if it could fit their needs or not before buying!
that where you have to provide all the information to the potential buyers...

And don't discard possibilities, regarding how people should or not use it:
As for exemple: i must disagree with you, this is a perfect plateform for people who want to stitch!!!
For exemple using the 24 tse, then you can stitch 3 images ending up in a 36x46mm "capture sensor size" with around 70mpx and still being able to use the shift+tilt on the lense...
Same goes with the 35pc distagon, with around 85mpx and a surface capture up to 43x54.... as with probably a lot of other lenses....
In both case, this is much more than what you could do with an IQ250+alpaFPS+24TSE (ok you have to make 3shot instead of 1, but still you cannot have a 70mpx cmos on the FPS) ...
(but make things clear if i would have the budget, i would have gone for the FPS;) )

I'm actually on the way back from Japan, but by thursday i'll be able to post some pictures on request, so let me know exactly what you want to see...

daf

@joelorbita @daf
Will you please detail how to preset the aperture of a TS-E lens without a Canon body?
Is this doable only with a Metabones adapter or can you use any Canon to Nex adapter like e.g. the much cheaper Viltrox?
No idea, i'm using a metabones on a second body, so it is really quick to adjust the aperture if needed, but as the TSE need to be stop down @11 (as a minimum for large shift), must say that i preset once the lens 2weeks ago, then never went back to adjust it yet...

Massimo

No idea, i'm using a metabones on a second body, so it is really quick to adjust the aperture if needed, but as the TSE need to be stop down @11 (as a minimum for large shift), must say that i preset once the lens 2weeks ago, then never went back to adjust it yet...
@daf Thank you, but since I've never been a Canon user my question aimed at understanding how to keep the e.g. f/11 setting after dismounting the lens from the Metabones ... I have to unmount my Nikon PC-E from my D700 without turning off the body, and after having stopped down the aperture by depressing a button on the lens.

What is the procedure to keep a preset aperture on the lens when the TS-E is mounted on a A7(r) + Metabones?

daf

@daf Thank you, but since I've never been a Canon user my question aimed at understanding how to keep the e.g. f/11 setting after dismounting the lens from the Metabones ... I have to unmount my Nikon PC-E from my D700 without turning off the body, and after having stopped down the aperture by depressing a button on the lens.

What is the procedure to keep a preset aperture on the lens when the TS-E is mounted on a A7(r) + Metabones?
Same way...

Hi Daf,
I would love to see some image samples if possible as my setup sounds somewhat similar to yours and am hoping to achieve similar things out of this adapter :)

I agree that the stitching should not be underestimated, and due to the fact that it is a parallax free stitch, software makes pretty easy work of it..

I would love to see any examples you have of using the Hcam adapter for stitching whilst still retaining front rise on your lenses.. As I use front rise so much, image stitching is not that useful to me without this..

I saw the Rhinocam recently

https://www.fotodioxpro.com/vizelex-rhinocam-for-sony-nex-e-mount-cameras.html

and was wondering if there was possibly enough room to have a Canon Eos mount machined on and use a similar technique to the one you describe (stitching on the rear whilst having front rise on the lens) The only advantage it would have over the Hcam is being able to "pre-visualise" your shot though use of the Ground Glass.. That and it would yield a bigger 6cm x 4.5cm image..

There is no way that you can see of somehow having a ground glass attached to the rear of the Hcam and being able to see the whole stitched image? I am guessing not but thought it was worth a ask :)

Also, do you have any other shift adapters (Mirex or Kipon) that could be used in conjunction with this Hcam adapter? Would love to see a 50mm Hasselblad on there..

Needing front rise of course!

Thanks so much, any information you could share would be greatly appreciated!

Do you have a site that I could see some of your work?

Thanks again :)

Stefan Steib

Hi David

Thank you for posting this. Good Idea to do it on a white wall.
Maybe I will do some more the same way with the lenses I have.

Regards
Stefan

daf

Hi Daf,
I would love to see some image samples if possible as my setup sounds somewhat similar to yours and am hoping to achieve similar things out of this adapter :)

I agree that the stitching should not be underestimated, and due to the fact that it is a parallax free stitch, software makes pretty easy work of it..

I would love to see any examples you have of using the Hcam adapter for stitching whilst still retaining front rise on your lenses.. As I use front rise so much, image stitching is not that useful to me without this..

I saw the Rhinocam recently

https://www.fotodioxpro.com/vizelex-rhinocam-for-sony-nex-e-mount-cameras.html

and was wondering if there was possibly enough room to have a Canon Eos mount machined on and use a similar technique to the one you describe (stitching on the rear whilst having front rise on the lens) The only advantage it would have over the Hcam is being able to "pre-visualise" your shot though use of the Ground Glass.. That and it would yield a bigger 6cm x 4.5cm image..

There is no way that you can see of somehow having a ground glass attached to the rear of the Hcam and being able to see the whole stitched image? I am guessing not but thought it was worth a ask :)

Also, do you have any other shift adapters (Mirex or Kipon) that could be used in conjunction with this Hcam adapter? Would love to see a 50mm Hasselblad on there..

Needing front rise of course!

Thanks so much, any information you could share would be greatly appreciated!

Do you have a site that I could see some of your work?

No idea regarding the Rinocam.

Yes there is a lot of different option for a medium format tilt shift adapter to eos...mirex/zoerk/kipon/arax etc...

As you see, you can stitch 36x48 and still being able to shift(rise/fall) the lens...If you shoot and process with LCC, then you can end up with a larger surface capture for example with the 24TSEII ending at 36x52mm...but then it will depends on the lens image circle sharpness.

Take a look at this for more info on lenses:
http://www.getdpi.com/forum/medium-...backs/53400-image-circle-contax-645-lens.html
Or just try to find which lens are good for the FPS +IQ180 then it should be ok for this.

I've just bought an Hasselblad 50 CFI to replace my pentax, but haven't received the adapter yet...

I haven't done any real stitched shot, as 36mpx is enough for me ...
I bought it just for the possibility to have all four movement (rise/shift/tilt/swing) independent.
The big plus of this adaptor for me is the rotating device which allow me just to switch from portrait to landscape without touching the tripod or the lens;)
If you need i can shoot you 3images from my window, but it will not help you more tahn having a look at what the same lens is capable on the FPS...

Last edited:

daf

Hi David

Thank you for posting this. Good Idea to do it on a white wall.
Maybe I will do some more the same way with the lenses I have.

Regards
Stefan

Hi Stefan,
I'm after a ultra wide lens option for interior, actually shooting the 14samyang which is sharp but sooo distorted;( i hate this lens... Considering a zoom for this purpose, i know the 14-24 nikon is a reference, but did you tried the Tamron 15-30 yet ? What about the sigma 12-24 ? or just waiting for the canon ?

Daf, thanks so much for this information! Is exactly what I am after!

Looks very promising indeed! :)

If you could be bothered to take a stitched shot out of your window, I would really love to see it..

When you provide details for the Pentax 55mm, you talk about achieving "10mm rise on the lens". Is this a shift lens? I could not find any Pentax 55mm shift lens when searching google..

Or are you using either the Pentax 645 or Pentax 67 lens with a shift adapter? If so, which one is it?

Which shift adapter are you going with for your Hasselblad 50mm lens?

I will be very interested to see how this works as well.. Whether you have any issues with mechanical vignetting by essentially working with 2 adapters..

Stefan, you mention that your new shift adapters (Canon - Hasselblad) aim to tackle this problem right? And to work in conjunction with your Hcam adapter?

Daf, On that note, where vignetting does occur on your samples, is this from running out of image circle? Or is this caused by the adapter itself?

O.K, thanks so much once again and please keep us updated with regards to the Hasselblad 50mm!

:)

joelorbita

I will be very interested to see how this works as well.. Whether you have any issues with mechanical vignetting by essentially working with 2 adapters..

+1

I have the Hasselblad 50mm and 100mm lenses and would also be very interested to know whether you run into vignetting with this lenses? I assume it would be because of the adapter if so, as the image circle is really large..

Thanks so much!

joelorbita

Sorry, try that again.. :)

The above is what I would also love to have answered by Daf..

Thanks again!

daf

I'm still waiting for the hasselblad adapter....
But, the vigneting samples with the 55mm pentax used a kipon shift adapter pentax to eos .
And you can see between the 2 série how the vigneting is changing when you rise the lens by using the kipon pentax to eos ...
This should give you an idea of how it could works with the blad...for myself i think we should have less vigneting with the blad because of a shorter focal flange than the pentax67...
Combining two adapter hcam plus kipon in the same direction( for exemple rise plus rise) : Give me 27mm of shift with the pentax67 55mm(new version) with an good sharpness...

Last edited:

joelorbita

Hi Daf,
Thanks so much for that information..

How was the Kipon adapter? Any issues?

Are you also going with the Kipon for the Hasselblad?

Look forward to hearing about your experiences with the Hasselblad 50mm as that is a lens I am also looking to purchase..

With regards to the vignetting, is the vignetting coming from the adapter (or combination of adapters) or is because you are running out of image circle?