The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Final version: HCam Master TS 14-24mm

daf

Well regarding the Adapter quality, i would rate the hcam at 9/10 and the kipon at 5/10 (i have some little play In all part).
so i bought a secondhand mirex hasselblad to eos.
I
Regarding the vigneting it depends on the lens, more precisly on how the lens is designed ... on my examples 24 tseii and pentax55 for both it is a mechanical vignet from the adapter, the 35pc distagon vigneting is coming from image circle (in fact Front ring Of the lens)...

joelorbita

Great! I was also looking at getting the Mirex. I have had one before (Mamiya 645 - Eos) but ended up selling it when i sold my Canon 5DII.. Expensive but well made.

Look forward to seeing the samples with the Hasselblad 50mm and the Mirex..

Am guessing they will have similar results to the Pentax 55mm and Kipon, which will be good enough for me :)

Thanks Daf, really appreciate your input :)

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Stay tuned for my review in a week or so, will be putting it up on the front page. But here's a teaser -- this unit is built so well, clearly designed by somebody who knows and understands what's required in field photography. And then it is so easy to use, I am contemplating dedicating it to one body and adding Canon adapters to a few specific medium format lenses for regular use on it -- it's that handy. Second point is I am truly surprised at how much shift room a standard FF DSLR lens actually has -- even my lowly Nikkor 17-35/2.8 illuminates nearly 8mm of shift at 17, and IQ is "useful" to about 5 or 6 of those. Obviously medium format lenses will allow far greater movements. Really great addition to a Sony kit for any landscape or product shooter.

PS: Stefan, you won't be getting this demo unit back -- send me an invoice :D

Stefan Steib

Jack

watch your mail a little later. Nice you like it.

Today I have gotten a Canon 16-35mm IS II, that seems to be a really cool lens for the HCam Master TS. It has a bit less image circle than the Nikon 14-24 (probably it is really connected to the higher fstop of f2,8 compared to f4,0 - the lenses are simply bigger ! ) , but then the Quality from 24 upwards to 35 is looking very good and that longer range is also very welcome ! I need to evaluate more, but it looks very usable.

Will report ASAP. And then - I have ordered a Tamron f2,8/15-30mm with Nikon mount. Let´s see when this arrives (is backorder right now) but I feel that will be a very nice lens for the adapter.

The first 11-24mm Canon EF´s have arrived in Germany, hopefully I´ll get my hands on one soon.

The saw is prepared ! :angel:

Greetings from Germany
Stefan

Stefan Steib

Update: I got the Canon EF 4,0/11-24mm here to test now.
Looks like a phantastic lens. Works nicely on the Sony with my tuned Viltrox (aka Metabones automatic aperture and AF ) adapter.

BUT: the 11mm focal length up to 16mm are vignetting on the HCam Master TS, because the back lens is comparably deep inside the barrel and moving forward more than with e.g. the 14-24mm Nikon G-ED. The effect is mount vignetting(with the TS adapter), at least with this opening.
From 16mm onward 24mm there are about 10mm of shift vertikal, but that is not so much to buy this as a TS Lens.
We will look into the specifics of the vignetting, but the chances are not so big right now, to use this "unmodified", I did not cut the lensshade
so the effects can overlap, I know this from the tests with the Nikon.

Now let´s wait for the Tamron 15-30mm to show up, I am curious
about the lens movements and construction, this will define usability for TS applications.

Greetings from Germany
Stefan

Last edited:

Stefan Steib

David

I have the 16-35mm EF here, latest version, looks to be a very nice lens, but the image circle is smaller than the Nikon 14-24mm.

I hope the Tamron 15-30mm arrives soon, This looks to be the best candidate to be a match for the Nikon.

Greetings from Germany
Stefan

daf

David

I have the 16-35mm EF here, latest version, looks to be a very nice lens, but the image circle is smaller than the Nikon 14-24mm.

I hope the Tamron 15-30mm arrives soon, This looks to be the best candidate to be a match for the Nikon.

Greetings from Germany
Stefan

I very interested by your finding with the 16-35f4, as i prefer the range for interior shoot than 11-24 or 14-24 ...
Could you share some info regarding the shift ablities @17 @24 @35, then if there is some room i'll rent one to check for sharpness and distorsion.

joe_leads

Hey guys,

I just registered to this forum because I'm very interested in this 14-24 tilt-shift solution.

I just mounted my existing 14-24 and a Sony A7R onto a view camera to see what happens.

This is what I got so far:
https://mail.leads-it.de/owncloud/index.php/s/lJUiHy9PDlSrNTX/download

It is 3 images stitched together. Everything right to the green line is the regular view from the 14-24 @ 24mm, approximate aperture f/8. Next I shifted the camera 10mm and I get the image part between the red and the green line. The far out part is from a 15mm shift. I focussed on infinity, and I focussed in the far out area to get the sharpest possible image in that shifted area.
This is made with the regular lens, no lens shade cut off!

(Sorry for not having photographed something more appealing... ;))

The image vignettes, of course. But that shifted area gets also very blurry and smeary!

Question: Will it become substantially better, once the lens shade is cut off? Because, honestly, my 24mm PC-E does much better, and if this is it, the whole 14-24 shift idea is not very attractive any more.

mandonbossi

Yes, I have to agree as well..

I am still very interested in this adapter but purely for using it with my Canon 24mm
TS-E II as well as medium format lenses...

The idea of the 14-24mm is nice in theory but I believe you will get less distortion and more shift using dedicated tilt/shift lenses.. Also, the ability to stitch with Stefans adapter whilst still having movements on the lens is very appealing!

Now we just need to get some electronic whizz to hack apart a Canon Eos - Nex adapter (Metabones, Viltrox etc etc) and have this working to have aperture control with the adapter :)

That would indeed be awesome!

Is this beyond the realm of possibility? I realize that it is extremely difficult due to the adapter moving/rotating but what about if the electronics sat outside of the adapter and it was just the contact points on either end?

Might be impossible I guess.. That is one area where I do see the Cambo Actus being awesome when they finally release the Canon Eos front plate that has electronic aperture control... It is a bigger/slower setup than Stefans version though...

Just a thought, I have no idea about something like this but it would be nice :)

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
The idea of the 14-24mm is nice in theory but I believe you will get less distortion and more shift using dedicated tilt/shift lenses.. Also, the ability to stitch with Stefans adapter whilst still having movements on the lens is very appealing!
I will write about this very thing in my upcoming review -- with Stefan's adapter the way it allows camera side and lens side rotations, you can get virtually any movement you can in a view camera with a PC-E or TS-E lens mounted up front -- so tilt and swing with rise and shift for example, all independently adjustable. The only "limitation" are the rotation "indents" on the lenses and H-Cam, but of course you can go in-between those on both systems.

V

Vivek

I will write about this very thing in my upcoming review -- with Stefan's adapter the way it allows camera side and lens side rotations, you can get virtually any movement you can in a view camera with a PC-E or TS-E lens mounted up front -- so tilt and swing with rise and shift for example, all independently adjustable. The only "limitation" are the rotation "indents" on the lenses and H-Cam, but of course you can go in-between those on both systems.
I look forward to it, Jack. There are a few specific applications I have in mind to use Stefan's adapter.

daf

Yes, I have to agree as well..

I am still very interested in this adapter but purely for using it with my Canon 24mm
TS-E II as well as medium format lenses...

Now we just need to get some electronic whizz to hack apart a Canon Eos - Nex adapter (Metabones, Viltrox etc etc) and have this working to have aperture control with the adapter :)

That would indeed be awesome!

Is this beyond the realm of possibility? I realize that it is extremely difficult due to the adapter moving/rotating but what about if the electronics sat outside of the adapter and it was just the contact points on either end?

Might be impossible I guess.. That is one area where I do see the Cambo Actus being awesome when they finally release the Canon Eos front plate that has electronic aperture control... It is a bigger/slower setup than Stefans version though...

Just a thought, I have no idea about something like this but it would be nice :)
Using Tse with large shift, you'll need f11 or 16 You Can set it once and keep it like this for long(my24tse is always set to 11)...if You need to change often the aperture then having a second body(even a basic nex do the job) with the metabones is a very Fast operation(you Just have to switch the lens from one body to the other,set the aperture and put it back)...not a big deal.

Regarding the 14-24, samples i've seen were sharp...it think you're right it probably cannot remplace tse lenses...but having a Wa Ts Zoom sound pretty cool! ...i'm now thinking adding one of those to my kit for interior shooting but i would prefer longer range as 16-35 or 15-30.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Been a little confused on the Canon mount here. So the aperture blade does not open back up to its widest aperture with the Metabones. In essence take a shot on a second body at F11 than remove it from there and put on to this adapter and it holds at F11. Seriously I don't want to buy more glass. Now let me ask a another question. This will not work with the new Sony Zeiss 35mm 1.4 lens with a aperture ring built in because of the lens flange distance is to short now. Only on DSLR style lenses where you use the adapter distance for this device. Here is my interest is my Canon 24TSe where I could use tilt and shift on the lens but with adapter I could do rise and fall at the same time. Correct

daf

There is a bouton on the metabones , push this button when You mount the lens on it ..you're now shooting stop down..removing the lens from the metabones ...the lens stay closed at the latest aperture selected...easy